De Atramentis "bookworm" For Aussies & Kiwis

Newjelan

Several months ago there was a thread (which I can't find right now) about the release of De Atramentis Bookworm ink: a muddy green ink that smells of old books. *sigh*.

I hunted high and low all over the world for this ink but couldn't find a stockist. In the end I asked the great people at larrypost.com.au (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer) if they could get me some and they promised to add it to their next order. Well it has arrived and my 3 bottles are on their way.

So if you're in the antipodes, love the smell of old books and like green ink, head over to the good people at larrypost.com.au and get some before I buy it all!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Newjelan

• Bogon07

• Barkingpig

• RedScarves

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds interesting!

Could you possibly post up a written example of the ink colour please?

post-85009-0-64312400-1449477414_thumb.jpeg

Sorry, for some reason the picture is sideways!

The scent is growing on me and, combined with the colour and shading, I know I'll use this regularly. I'm glad I bought 3 bottles.

Thanks to the kind people at larrypost.com.au (no affiliation) for stocking this after my request.

The paper is Rhodia Dots.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the writing sample.

So much for the "no more ink this year" resolution.

I think I need a bottle of this Bookworm dark green.

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink

Thanks for the writing sample.

So much for the "no more ink this year" resolution.

I think I need a bottle of this Bookworm dark green.

Join the club.

I've so much more ink than I can ever use but after 2 weeks of using this ink, I'm really glad I bought 3 bottles. I love the colour (and the faint scent), it's well behaved and will be in regular use.

Oh! Thanks for the writing sample, it looks wonderful. I think I'll have to order a bottle (especially since I was called a bookworm when I was younger) :lol:

Oh! Thanks for the writing sample, it looks wonderful. I think I'll have to order a bottle (especially since I was called a bookworm when I was younger) :lol:

Me too!

As the person at larrypost.com.au (no affiliation) said: "It's an ink that reminds me of Harry Potter & Diagon Alley"

After yesterday's fruitless search throuh Dymocks' pile of De Atramentis inks (I'm sure they had Bookworm earlier this year) I caved in an ordered a bottle from LarryPost.

Now it is definitely "no more ink this year"

Things made of wood (i.e. furniture, books, etc) that live in the tropics acquire a fungus that gives them a particular smell. When I was living in PNG, and was surrounded by the smell, I didn't notice it.

However, I spent a year in Townsville, and one day walked into a new shop. It had that smell - fungusy books and furniture. I asked the lass behind the counter about it. They had just moved their shop, and all the stock, from Rabaul in PNG to Townsville.

I still get that smell, decades later, when I open up one of the books I owned in PNG.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

The order I made with LarryPost on Friday was delivered Saturday morning (AustPost is doing Saturday deliveries just prior to Christmas - pity they can't do them the rest of the year too).

Bookworm is quite a nice colour. The scent has a slightly disinfectant odor to my old nose rather than a musty old book smell.

Bookworm is quite a nice colour. The scent has a slightly disinfectant odor to my old nose rather than a musty old book smell.

I had the same response and was initially disappointed in the odor. However, as I've used it, and the scent has crept up on me (i.e., just using it or on my hands rather than "sniffing it") it's brought back memories of my school library that was built in about 1880.

One of my work colleges thinks Bookworm has a herbal scent.

Of my other DeAtramentis scented inks Bamboo is ok but Fig Blue is sickly sweet and Merlot smells like vinegar.

I'm glad they didn't do Petrol as a scent ink too.

One of my work colleges thinks Bookworm has a herbal scent.

Of my other DeAtramentis scented inks Bamboo is ok but Fig Blue is sickly sweet and Merlot smells like vinegar.

I'm glad they didn't do Petrol as a scent ink too.

I was intrigued by this ink earlier in the year when it was mentioned here. Never finding it available from a US supplier I tried the DeA site & results were the same. I left an "inquiry" about obtaining a bottle & since probably six months without receivinga reply I now can't imagine I will ever have a comment about it's "scent."

I will relegate it to the category of the Sailor Speciality inks & spend my time/money to obtain ink that is available. Last nite I ordered the Roher & Klingner Document Braun from Sitz Global. Free shipping & coming from GERMANY; strange that a supplier of German inks in the same country as DeA is able to sell & ship ink to the US but DeA doesn't seem to be able to offer same. I have enjoyed the dozen or so DeA inks I have but will probably be content to live with the smell of MY "own" books!"

BarkingPig - Goulets sell some of the De Atramentis scented inks - perhaps you could contact them to see if they could order Bookworm in for you ?

http://www.gouletpens.com/de-atramentis-bottled-ink/c/79/?facetValueFilter=Tenant~Scented%3Atrue

LarryPost has it but they only ship Australia & NewZealand - maybe you could ask them to send some but o/s postage could be rather high. Looks like they are closed till early January2016.

http://www.larrypost.com.au/brands/de-atramentis-1/scented-ink/de-atramentis-bookworm-fountain-pen-ink-35ml-dark-green.html

• 2 weeks later...

I was intrigued by this ink earlier in the year when it was mentioned here. Never finding it available from a US supplier I tried the DeA site & results were the same. I left an "inquiry" about obtaining a bottle & since probably six months without receivinga reply I now can't imagine I will ever have a comment about it's "scent."

I will relegate it to the category of the Sailor Speciality inks & spend my time/money to obtain ink that is available. Last nite I ordered the Roher & Klingner Document Braun from Sitz Global. Free shipping & coming from GERMANY; strange that a supplier of German inks in the same country as DeA is able to sell & ship ink to the US but DeA doesn't seem to be able to offer same. I have enjoyed the dozen or so DeA inks I have but will probably be content to live with the smell of MY "own" books!"

Barkingpig, I'm happy to send you a sample from Australia as I bought 3 bottles. However, I'm out of the country until the end of January, so I can't send it until early Feb. I assume it will get through customs into the US easily enough. If you want me to send you some, please PM me with your address. I will respond once I return to Australia.

Barkingpig, I'm happy to send you a sample from Australia as I bought 3 bottles. However, I'm out of the country until the end of January, so I can't send it until early Feb. I assume it will get through customs into the US easily enough. If you want me to send you some, please PM me with your address. I will respond once I return to Australia.

You are very kind to offer shipping a sample across the world; however I will be fine without having the opportunity to experience this ink. It has been an item of interest for some time among various posts here & I just thought it would be available on the DA site. I hadn't imagined there would be an ink produced & not offered for sale. It is surely a novelty if the ink is the same "color" as another ink yet with a distinctive scent. I actually just ordered my first DA scented ink & it will ship from an online seller here in the US.

Your offer to share is surely appreciated & I thank you for extending it.