The Filcao Roxi: Underdogs, Natalia Ginzburg, And Settimo Torinese

bobje

fpn_1449022550__roxi-full-size-capped-80

Americans love underdogs. We revel in stories about how the British had their hind-ends handed to them in the American Revolutionary War, 240 years ago, and it was us – poorly clothed mongrels – who did the handing. This idea of underestimated integrity comes to me when I consider two unlikely subjects: the Italian city of Torino, and a fountain pen that originated there, called the FILCAO Roxi.

When non-Italians think of Italy, four cities come first: Rome, Venice, Florence, and Milan. For a century or so, Torino came in fifth or sixth, somewhere in a tier with Naples and Bologna. Then, two things happened. First, FIAT turned Torino into the Detroit of Italy. And second, in 2006, Torino hosted the Olympic Winter Games. Suddenly, Torino had name recognition. No longer just an industrial city west of Milan, it was transformed into something much more magnetic than a Detroit. Torino was now the Italian gateway to the Alps -- the Denver, Colorado, of Italy.

Naples is the undisputed home of the comic Italian underdog, but Torino is overlooked as well. You probably didn’t realize this, but the Swiss used to visit Torino in the 1700s to learn how to make chocolate and to buy chocolate-making machines. Torino is chocolate paradise, and there is a famous and elegant café called Baratti e Milano, in the center of the city, where people buy bite-sized chocolate ingots called “gianduiotti.” Like Nutella, gianduiotti are a mixture of chocolate and hazelnuts, and they are rich, smooth, and magnificent. But beyond the famous cafes, there are lesser-known, family-run, off-the-beaten-path places to buy chocolate – Peyrano, for example, or Pfatisch.

The Aurora company, founded in Torino in 1919, is the oldest of Italy’s many fountain pen companies. Run by the Verona family, Aurora may be the most autonomous and financially healthy of these. But for decades, seven Roman miles east of Torino on the road to Milan, there was a cluster of small, family-run companies making pens, writing instruments, and components. In 1963 a guy named Franco Grisolia founded one of these, FILCAO, in a place called Settimo Torinese. Unfortunately, after five decades in the pen business, Grisolia died early in 2015. His was one of the last remaining pen companies in Settimo.

FILCAO, like FIAT, or OMAS of Bologna, is an acronym. It stands for Fabbrica Italiana Lavorazione Cappucci Alluminio Ottone (Italian Factory for Aluminum and Brass Cap Processing). Under Franco Grisolia, FILCAO first made components, and then charted an oblique orbit in the already eccentric solar system of Italian fountain pens. That niche was pens designed for writers, in classic designs from the 1930s and 1940s, at prices that were unusually reasonable by Italian standards. Just looking at FILCAO pens evokes underdog western brands with integrity – they’re more like Esterbrook and Wyvern, than Parker and Onoto. Like Torinesi discussing a favorite ciaccolateria, we live for the chance to argue distinctions among obscure brands.

Enough history. This is a review of the FILCAO Roxi, and what I can summarize briefly is that it’s a lightweight but largish resin pen that writes smoothly. The cigar-shaped design is based on the ogiva, or ogee, or pointed arch, found in architecture. When this torpedo shape is applied to pens, the fountain pen universe thinks first of Montblanc or OMAS or Sheaffer. But the designers for these companies all based this shape on something, and that something was the pointed arch. The German pen companies, the Swiss, the French, the Americans, the Japanese, the Chinese – they’re not ripping off each other. They’re ripping off Italian architects of Gothic cathedrals, who ripped off architects from ancient Persia, Greece, and China.

My Roxi is the color of whipped honey, and it was also available in a Ferrari-like flame red. This resin comes from an Italian company called Sintetica, which also supplies material for Italian eyeglass companies.

The Roxi is a piston filler, with a gold Fine nib marked “Iridium Point 585,” in the European style for 14-karat gold (58.5 percent gold, rather than 14/24 parts gold, 10/24 parts other). The nib is resilient – it couldn’t be called flex -- but it displays more give than the steel nibs I usually write with. In the first few hours I used it, my Roxi skipped infrequently, particularly on strokes that went from left to right. But the skipping has mostly stopped, and may have occurred simply because the feed hadn’t marinated in ink long enough. The Fine nib is one of the juiciest and widest I’ve encountered, and the wet, lubricious Aurora black ink of Torino may have something to do with this. A pen review presents a rare opportunity to use the word “lubricious,” and I’m taking it.

I like several things about the Roxi. First, it writes well. Second, the design is simple, classic, and symmetrical. It’s almost modest, an unusual trait for an Italian pen. Black ogee finials and a black section bookend the honey-colored cap and barrel, and a two-toned nib balances rhodium trim. Third, Franco Grisolia named the pen “Roxi” after his son, Rosario. People who write with this pen have a connection not just with a company, but with one of the last pen-making families of Settimo. And last, the Roxi was created and launched in 2007, shortly after the Olympic Winter Games, at a high point for Torino’s visibility and confidence.

What do I dislike about the pen? Well, there’s the infrequent skipping issue, but that will be easily sorted. There’s a little bit of play in the black ogee cap that turns the piston filler. But what I really miss is an imprint on the barrel. One of the most celebrated FILCAO pens, an even more understated lapis blue model designed by the American pen expert Richard Binder and named, immodestly, “Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean,” proudly displays “Filcao” in an oval on the barrel. I love that imprint.

The Roxi sparks one last story from Torino. There is an Italian author named Natalia Levi Ginzburg who grew up in Torino, and whose father was a professor at the city’s university. She wrote a beautiful book called Lessico Famigliare, or Family Lexicon, which was published in 1963 and is still taught in Italian schools. Foreign students of Italian also read Lessico Famigliare because Natalia Ginzburg’s language is simple, modest, familiar, and understandable. Her family lived on the Piazzetta Donatello, across the street from a municipal bathhouse and the Church of Mary Sacred Heart. In 2006, when I searched for her childhood home, the Italians I encountered on this piazza were amazed to learn that Natalia Ginzburg had once lived there and embarrassed to learn this trivia from an American. Fortunately, in 2011, a tree was planted there in her honor.

In this neighborhood I like to think of the schoolgirl Natalia of the 1920s, and of a small shop a few blocks away where her parents might have taken her and her brothers and sister to buy chocolate on special occasions. Like FILCAO and Peyrano and many other family-run Italian companies, the future of that store, Pfatisch, is complicated, just as families are complicated. I don’t know what pens Natalia Ginzburg used to write Lessico Famigliare. But in my imagination she uses modest pens for writers, made by families in Settimo Torinese.

It’s possible to acquire a FILCAO Roxi, in New Old Stock, from Giovanni Abrate, an Italian American who acquired remaining inventory and rights to the FILCAO brand from the family of Franco Grisolia. I have no affiliation with Giovanni -- Tryphon on FPN -- other than buying the Roxi and the Columbia, and spending time in Torino in 2005 and 2006.

More evidence of Torinese integrity: it’s one of the most ecumenical of Italian cities. The city’s most prominent landmark, the Mole Antonelliana, was originally a Jewish temple, and the Italian Protestant church – the Waldensians – was founded and headquartered in Torre Pellice, west of Torino.

fpn_1449022569__roxi-full-uncapped-800.j

fpn_1449022491__roxi-cannon-uncapped-800

fpn_1449022590__roxi-nib-800.jpg

fpn_1449022637__roxi-writing-sample-scan

Edited by Bobje

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bobje

• rwilsonedn

• dms525

• Ian the Jock

Hi, Bob,

Great review of an unusual pen. An older thread on FPN talked about German pens writing right away, what you first saw when you wrote with one was what you got all the time. But, it went on to say, that Italian pens would write wonderfully well. After you wrote with them for a while and got used to each other. See you have found that to be true.

Best writing to you,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Brilliant review Bob

A perfect example of what this pen hobby is all about, and expertly written.

A most enjoyable read.

The next person who says "you paid HOW MUCH for a pen?" should be made to read this review.

You have shown brilliantly why our pens are so special in many, many ways, and that even new pens, like your gorgeous Roxi, are steeped in heritage and history, with the power to evoke memories and emotions in such a way that the "HOW MUCH?" becomes irrelevant, as after all, what you are paying the how much for, isn't just a pen is it?.

Enjoy your new pen Bob, and all that comes with it.

Ian

Hari and Sagarb, as the descendant of residents of one former British colony to another, thank you.

Ian, as Scotland charts its course toward independence, we extend our support.

Randal, thanks for the perspective on the DNA of fountain pen nationalities.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Thank you for that wonderful story, Bob! I don't know if I am motivated to buy Filcao pens, but I will definitely seek Natalia Ginzburg's books. I was unaware of her before, but she was a fascinating woman and a prolific author.

David

David, thank you. I enjoy your posts on handwriting, and recently found a copy of a book you once recommended, Svaren's 33 Alphabets.

On Ginzburg, I don't really understand why "Family Sayings" was translated as the English title of that book. "Lexicon" would have done just fine. It was difficult to pick only one anecdote to translate, and I ultimately went with a very short one. The anecdote that follows, comparing her father's feelings about music, is hilarious.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

Bob, great review for the pen, and even greater for Torino.

Please let me add that Torino has been also the capital of Italy in the past, and the Family "Savoia", which is the Family of the last King of Italy, comes from Torino.

• 2 weeks later...

As expected, the infrequent skipping issue was easily solved. Rather than me tuning a gold nib on my own, Giovanni Abrate invited the Roxi for a quick visit to his pen resort in Florida. After a massage and a day of sunshine and palm trees, Roxi now runs smoothly across the page. This is a passage from Beppe Severgnini, one of my first exercises in italic with the Roxi.

fpn_1449370368__writing-sample-roxi-auro

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

Kath, glad to see that a Torinese pen now has a western home in Texas. Mehandiratta and visvamitra, your reviews represent the level to which we all aspire. Fabri, thanks for the reminder regarding the Italian monarchy's home in Torino. Catbert and limitlesspens, many thanks for your compliments.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

Thanks for the wonderful story. I've run across a couple of FILCAO pens and treasured them for their beauty and writing qualities, but I've never known their story. You've just added greatly to their value for me.

ron

Rwilsonedn and Doug C,

thank you for reading the review. I don't believe Filcao has a dedicated website at this point. Giovanni Abrate has a few of the remaining pens, reachable on FPN at "tryphon".

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

Rwilsonedn and Doug C,

thank you for reading the review. I don't believe Filcao has a dedicated website at this point. Giovanni Abrate has a few of the remaining pens, reachable on FPN at "tryphon".

OK, Bob, I blaming you for the fact that Giovanni now has one fewer Roxi on his shelf. If it hadn't been for the great story and the irresistible photos ...

ron