Can't Make Up My Mind! Pilot Custom 74, Ch91, Ch92 Or Platinum 3776

AndyYNWA

Like a steel Lamy fine? Or....?

The width of the line on the page, assuming the ink in each, will probably be similar., if no pressure is used on the Pilot sf. But a Lamy steel and a Pilot Custom series gold sf feel A LOT different.

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyYNWA

• Algester

• Peppers

• Moynihan

The width of the line on the page, assuming the ink in each, will probably be similar., if no pressure is used on the Pilot sf. But a Lamy steel and a Pilot Custom series gold sf feel A LOT different.

So... A soft fine Pilot gold nib will have the same width as a fine Lamy steel nib?

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

So... A soft fine Pilot gold nib will have the same width as a fine Lamy steel nib?

For me, (as i remember a Lamy Safari fine, not having inked up for a while...) in my hand, and depending on the ink in each and the paper used for each,....yes. :lol:

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

http://imgur.com/Vg14PjQ.jpg

I got my SM back from a repair here's the line

PS: I'm not pushing on the down strokes even then as a lefty who writes over handed I cant make good line variation with that grip...

Seems like soft medium is slightly too wide for me.

Edited by AndyYNWA

YNWA - JFT97

For me, (as i remember a Lamy Safari fine, not having inked up for a while...) in my hand, and depending on the ink in each and the paper used for each,....yes. :lol:

Thanks!

Maybe I should go for a soft fine anyway...

YNWA - JFT97

No. Japanese nibs run much smaller than Western nibs.

A Pilot F would be similar to a Lamy EF

A Pilot M would be similar to a Lamy F

What the 'soft' does is to give you a line variation. I have a Pilot Falcon with SF nib, with no pressure it writes like a Lamy EF, when I apply pressure to bend the tines I get a maximum line thickness of 1.5 mm, which is even larger than a Lamy Broad or Lamy 1.1mm Italic.

No idea where @Moynihan is getting his answers. A Pilot F would never be anything close to a Lamy F.

Edited by Peppers

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

No. Japanese nibs run much smaller than Western nibs.

A Pilot F would be similar to a Lamy EF

A Pilot M would be similar to a Lamy F

What the 'soft' does is to give you a line variation. I have a Pilot Falcon with SF nib, with no pressure it writes like a Lamy EF, when I apply pressure to bend the tines I get a maximum line thickness of 1.5 mm, which is even larger than a Lamy Broad or Lamy 1.1mm Italic.

No idea where @Moynihan is getting his answers. A Pilot F would never be anything close to a Lamy F.

Everybody else in this thread is saying that Pilot gold nibs run Western wide and that only Pilot steel nibs run Japanese wide.

My Lamy F, writes broader than my Metropolitan M.

Edited by AndyYNWA

YNWA - JFT97

at least from my observations as well at least I can attest though my M nibs looks similar thats including my Pilot SM I swear I got a book with all of my writing line samples but I guess I probably threw it out due to the crappy paper it has

I bought my brother a SF though... not sure if I can touch it though... if you ever want a writing sample I can't give you a full guarantee

at least from my observations as well at least I can attest though my M nibs looks similar thats including my Pilot SM I swear I got a book with all of my writing line samples but I guess I probably threw it out due to the crappy paper it has

I bought my brother a SF though... not sure if I can touch it though... if you ever want a writing sample I can't give you a full guarantee

Similar to what?

YNWA - JFT97

My Lamy F, writes broader than my Metropolitan M.

That is what I am saying, Western nibs have a thicker/broader line that their Japanese counter parts.

A Pilot (Metropolitan) M would be similar to your Lamy F (never said equal); however, take into account that all Lamy nibs, as most people have agreed in the past in previous threads, they tend to have different line thickness within the same size, they are not consistent as Pilot nibs, but we can somehow agree on an average Lamy F. My Lamy F is not equal as your Lamy F, one is slightly, or a tad thicker than the other.

Which means a Pilot (Metropolitan) M would be similar to (an average size) Lamy F.

I arrive home around 9pm CT. Unless I am too tired by them, I can write you an example of my Pilot SF vs a Lamy F, both gold nibs, vs a Lamy Steel F.

Lamy Steel F runs thinner than Lamy Gold F; However, Pilot SF runs thinner than Lamy Steel F.

Hope this helps a bit more.

-Peppers

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

That is what I am saying, Western nibs have a thicker/broader line that their Japanese counter parts.

A Pilot (Metropolitan) M would be similar to your Lamy F (never said equal); however, take into account that all Lamy nibs, as most people have agreed in the past in previous threads, they tend to have different line thickness within the same size, they are not consistent as Pilot nibs, but we can somehow agree on an average Lamy F. My Lamy F is not equal as your Lamy F, one is slightly, or a tad thicker than the other.

Which means a Pilot (Metropolitan) M would be similar to (an average size) Lamy F.

I arrive home around 9pm CT. Unless I am too tired by them, I can write you an example of my Pilot SF vs a Lamy F, both gold nibs, vs a Lamy Steel F.

Lamy Steel F runs thinner than Lamy Gold F; However, Pilot SF runs thinner than Lamy Steel F.

Hope this helps a bit more.

-Peppers

It would be highly appreciated if you could make writing comparison of these nibs.

I'm just confused, since everybody else is saying that Pilot gold nibs are equal to Western nibs in line width.

Algester has repeatedly stated that Pilot gold nib definitely are Western sized. But Pilot steel nibs are one size finer.

Edited by AndyYNWA

YNWA - JFT97

http://imgur.com/cOTpir5.jpg

here's everything I got

SM Custom Heritage 91

M Lamy Logo

F Faber-Castell

SF Custom Heritage 91 that wasnt cleaned with gunked up ink :X... I dunno what my brother did... I just loaded the cart with take-sumi and wrote with it anyway

Prera F

Edited by Algester

Thanks for the writing sample, Algester.

Judging by you sample above, it seems like SFM or FM would have the right line width for me.

The Pilot gold soft fine definitely looks Japanese fine, but the gold soft medium looks like a Western medium, if not broader.

YNWA - JFT97

good luck with the decision and purchase... I tried as best as I could but it only gets to that point

I appreciate your help! :)

YNWA - JFT97

Here is what I promised. I hope this helps even more. :D

If you click on the picture, it sends you to my Flickr, where you can zoom in A LOT for full resolution.

23031162193_8944322e94_o.jpg

Edited by Peppers

Here is what I promised. I hope this helps even more. :D

If you click on the picture, it sends you to my Flickr, where you can zoom in A LOT for full resolution.

Thanks! :)

I'll take a better look at it when I get to a computer.

YNWA - JFT97

I have the Pilot CH 91 with soft medium nib and the Platinum century 3776 with a normal medium nib .

I much prefer the Pilot because of the softness of the writing experience , There is also enough line variation with the Pilot to add some character to the writing , but the main attraction for me it the softness . I would describe it as softness rather than springiness .By contrast the Platinum , though a very competent pen , is just a standard fairly hard writer . Just my thoughts .