Can't Make Up My Mind! Pilot Custom 74, Ch91, Ch92 Or Platinum 3776

AndyYNWA

>>Those of you who have tried both the 3776 and any of the Pilots, what are your impressions? Pros, cons?

I have a Pilot Custom 92 demonstrator, Custom 74, and a couple Platinum 3776s. The Platinum nibs are the smoother, but I'd say the Pilots are more springy. Can't go wrong with either nibs. My pick of the bunch would be the Custom 92. It does such an incredible job displaying the ink you put in it. https://www.instagram.com/p/9w6RqeSyzk

>>I prefer the design of the CH91 and CH92. I'm not a big fan of the cigar shape, but it's not a deal braker.

Give the cigar a chance, I didn't like it at first either, but now the 74 and the 3776s, well I just LOVE the shape and prefer it to flat topped pens like the Sailor ProGear. I find it more elegant.

>>I know the CH92 is a demonstrator with piston filler, which makes it slightly more expensive than the others. Is it worth the money or is any of the other a better buy?

For me it is, see the above photo. I love my 92, and if I could only have one, that would be it. Then probably the 3776.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyYNWA

• Algester

• Peppers

• Moynihan

I like blue too, but you have a point, it has to be a good type of blue.

I haven't been considering soft nibs, because I don't really know what they would do for me in my daily writing.

My Metropolitan has almost, the perfect line width for me. If the golds nibs have the same width, I'm satisfied.

well I think you got your answer but the steel nibs by pilot are more of a asian fine than the gold nibs at least as far as my observation and experience with them goes

my CH91 SM is still undergoing some repairs... (micro crack in the section leading to small but stead leakage after dropping it... hopefully even with the absence of a proper Pilot FP representation our Pilot distributor can get it fixed...)

but the relatively good news is that both the Custom 74 and CH91 and the 3776 Century sell at the same SRP in Japan... your left with

1. 3776's slip seal cap (arguably it's best selling point), also in the same price range is the Sailor's unheard of pen the Promenade may or may not have the same slip and seal cap also same price range

2. 3776 and Custom 74 has both the cigar shape look

3. 3776 and Custom 74 almost has the same amount of nib selection, 3776 lacks a soft medium which is weird enough

4. if cigar shape isnt for you heritage 91 will be for you almost the same nib selection as it's cigar shape counterpart but lacks Music and Cosu (buying this will be buying a Heritage 92)

5. Heritage 92 is a piston filler but lacks the nib selection of it's Cartridge bretheren and is as I said as expensive as buying a Custom 74 Music and Cosu nib

6. maybe Platinum has relatively hardier plastic that dont break when dropped... HOPEFULLY but if it blends... then it will break

Edited by Algester

My pick of the bunch would be the Custom 92. It does such an incredible job displaying the ink you put in it. https://www.instagram.com/p/9w6RqeSyzk

For me it is, see the above photo. I love my 92, and if I could only have one, that would be it. Then probably the 3776.

The CH92 really looks cool when it's inked up. Especially with some extravagant colour.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

The CH92 really looks cool when it's inked up. Especially with some extravagant colour.

Oh yes. Specially if you don't use deep tones like black, blue or green. If you intentionally leave a small pocket of air inside the piston for the ink to swirl inside, you get a great show as it moves around.

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

if your a light writer nothing much but does give you line variation when you push down... although dont expect to make swirls like a vintage flex does

Can be worth considering... Shall I still go with SM, or is SFM better if I like the Metropolitan M? Edited by AndyYNWA

YNWA - JFT97

Can be worth considering... Shall I still go with SM, or is SFM better if I like the Metropolitan M?

hmmm I would say go for SF or SFM when in comparison for steel M as the M should be asian size like so Pilot gold nib F (they write true to european size after all or so I think)

It would be great if some one could do a writing sample with Pilot steel M, Pilot gold F and Pilot gold M. And maybe some of the soft nibs too...

Sorry if I'm asking for too much... :unsure:

YNWA - JFT97

Great sheen and shading. NEED to ask about the ink! XD

Sorry, I could not remember the ink when I did the writing sample, that's why I wrote a generic "Sailor Blue", haha! I'm inclined to think that it was Sailor BungBox Sapphire.

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

Is there any difference in nib width between a soft nib and a "normal" nib? I.e. Fine vs Soft Fine. When writing without extra pressure, I mean.

YNWA - JFT97

Is there any difference in nib width between a soft nib and a "normal" nib? I.e. Fine vs Soft Fine. When writing without extra pressure, I mean.

The soft version is a tad wider than the hard version, i.e SF is wider than F, but only by a small amount.

The softness comes from the metal of the nib being a bit thinner than the hard equivalent, so that a Soft Fine will bend a little more with the same pressure than a standard Fine. However the tines only bend upwards, they don't bend outwards to give you a flex nib. With increasing pressure a SF will only write a little wider, not nearly as much as a Flex nib would.

The Soft-ness is only to make the nib a little softer to write with on the paper, not to make it more expressive.

In size order, they would go EF, F, SF, FM, SFM, M, SM, B.

This is a chart that FPN member hari317 found --

post-6237-0-69677900-1406035913.png

And this is another chart

http://engeika.ocnk.biz/data/engeika/product/20130320_a2bf4f.jpg

Of course, the width of line that a pen gives you also depends on the ink and paper. A non-spreading ink like Pelikan Edelstein on paper like Tomoe River will give you a much narrower line than the same pen using, say Koh-i-noor Document Blue on cheap copy paper.

Also, at the cheaper end of the scale, the Pilot nibs like the Century 3776 and the Custom 742 nibs, don't stay very close to the sizes in the first chart. I have Pilot nibs in SF, M and SU. My SF is closer to 0.4mm than 0.32mm, and my SU nib would be closer to writing a 0.7mm line.

I can't comment on their more expensive, larger nibs yet, as I haven't yet bought any.

Also read this page from nibs.com

Edited by dcwaites

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Thanks dcwaites!

Does anyone know the dimensions of Lamy nibs? Because that is what I have to compare against.

YNWA - JFT97

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qpZ5Qj1eFu0/VPl5mLlXEvI/AAAAAAAAHf0/TCC81F3rv_c/s1600/Pilot-size%2B10-blog-WM.jpg

I'm sure it may not be the proper writing line but here's Pilot 15 nibs in action

all nibs are found in the 912 and 742 models but more or less the lines are consistent

I have a 3776 and I will definitely go for 3776 (F) because of the feedback and perfect for writing kanji. Meanwhile it's about writing English so I will recommend you to pick 3776 (M) nib because it's much smoother than F nib. I would say F nib gives a noticeable feedback but M nib gives a very smooth feeling.

If you decided to buy 3776 please beaware of Bourgogne as it is quite easy to be scratched.

If you decided to buy 3776 please beaware of Bourgogne as it is quite easy to be scratched.

Noted

YNWA - JFT97

Just a comment re cleaning con-70 converters.

I use a syringe to clean them, and it works great, for me at least. I usually have about 4 con-70 fiiler/pens in my rotation.

My relevant (almost) 2 cents, as all but one of my Pilots have soft or specialty nib (Japanese seller models).

I have a Pilot Custom 74 sf & 91 sf, and a Platinum 3776 Century sf.

The Pilots are noticably softer, and write without pressure like a smooth western fine.

The Platinum without pressure, reminds me of a pilot extra fine (i have a custom 74 ef, the one non soft/special i have).

My Platinum sf has some feedback, (not scratchy though).

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

The Pilots are noticably softer, and write without pressure like a smooth western fine.

Like a steel Lamy fine? Or....?

YNWA - JFT97

Like a steel Lamy fine? Or....?

No. Even softer than a Lamy Gold.

Edit: However, Pilot nibs have just the right amount of feedback (at least to me). When you compare that, to a Lamy Gold, the Lamy Gold has zero (0) feedback.

Edited by Peppers

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.