Can't Make Up My Mind! Pilot Custom 74, Ch91, Ch92 Or Platinum 3776

AndyYNWA

I know there have been many similar topics like this one, but I had to ask myself.

I'm planning on buying myself my first gold nib as a Christmas gift to myself.

I'm looking at the following pens:

Pilot Custom 74 (M)

Pilot Custom Heritage 91 (M)

Pilot Custom Heritage 92 (M)

Platinum 3776 Century (M)

As I understand it, Custom 74, CH91 and CH92 all have the same feed and nib. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Are the medium #5 nibs the same width as Metropolitan medium? Is the 3776 medium nib broader or finer than the Pilot medium?

Those of you who have tried both the 3776 and any of the Pilots, what are your impressions? Pros, cons?

I prefer the design of the CH91 and CH92. I'm not a big fan of the cigar shape, but it's not a deal braker.

I know the CH92 is a demonstrator with piston filler, which makes it slightly more expensive than the others. Is it worth the money or is any of the other a better buy?

Greatful for all your input.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyYNWA

• Algester

• Peppers

• Moynihan

Of the 4 listed, I have, at some point in time, owned 3. The exception is the Custom 91, which is essentially the same pen as the 74 with the difference of trim colour and flat ends.

The thing is, I bought my 3776 and 74 with soft nibs, not medium. So I can only comment on the softness of nib. I picked the SFM for the 74 and the SF for the 3776. What I found was the 3776 had a finer line (about one size difference) than the 74, but the 74 had a softer nib - which I liked. I find myself a little uncomfortable having to put such pressure on the SF nib of the 3776 for line variation that I avoid using the soft nib. I don't have a Metropolitan so I can't comment on that either.

The pros of the 74 would be the larger ink capacity - I'm a student and that helps. Plus I'm lazy to refill my pen every other day. And the softer nib. The pros of the 3776 is in the fineness of the nib - and that beautiful beautiful blue resin. My 74 was black.

The 92 holds 1.3ml of ink. The CON-70 holds 1ml. Pretty small difference so if ink capacity isn't important to you, you might not want to fork out extra. I bought it because I love piston fillers and demonstrators.

(I must apologise - I don't think I helped with my words.)

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Andy - a couple of points -

1) The Pilot M nib is wider than the Platinum - 0.55mm vs 0.49mm (as per nibs.com) and this is noticeable when you are writing

2) Platinum nibs have a bit of feedback - not scratchy and certainly not a bad thing as it makes my writing more neat by keeping the nib in check

3) The value of a piston filler is really how you perceive it and I have never excluded a pen for having one or not having one - it doesn't detract from my writing enjoyment.

I am a Platinum 3776 fan - I have a couple and love they way they write. The Pilots are not bad at all - in some ways better but I find myself buying them in B widths. All the best!

Andy - a couple of points -

1) The Pilot M nib is wider than the Platinum - 0.55mm vs 0.49mm (as per nibs.com) and this is noticeable when you are writing

2) Platinum nibs have a bit of feedback - not scratchy and certainly not a bad thing as it makes my writing more neat by keeping the nib in check

3) The value of a piston filler is really how you perceive it and I have never excluded a pen for having one or not having one - it doesn't detract from my writing enjoyment.

I am a Platinum 3776 fan - I have a couple and love they way they write. The Pilots are not bad at all - in some ways better but I find myself buying them in B widths. All the best!

Thanks for your input.

Goods to know that the 3776 has a bit of feedback.

To me the piston filler is just a positive thing, but I don't really know if it's worth it since I change inks quite often. However, I do like seeing the ink level, which a CH92 will offer.

YNWA - JFT97

I'm leaning towards a CH92. But I haven't excluded the other ones yet.

I can get a blue CH92 to a slightly reduced price, but I like the clear better. Which color looks more professional, clear, smoke or blue?

YNWA - JFT97

depends on what you want I would go for the blue this is for the Heritage 92 (like Brian Goulet I'm also a sucker for blue but it has to look good type of blue)

not saying Pilot once made a Heritage 91 Sapphire for BungBox...

Custom 74 and Heritage 91's true worth lies in the soft nib selection which are both available in any other color as long as it's black... boring but damn good fancy nibs

if your not going for the soft nib variants I just say what works for you

as I can say Pilot's nibs come teetheringly close to the european standard... as I tested quite a bunch of nib from my trip to Japan :3

Edited by Algester

depends on what you want I would go for the blue this is for the Heritage 92 (like Brian Goulet I'm also a sucker for blue but it has to look good type of blue)

not saying Pilot once made a Heritage 91 Sapphire for BungBox...

Custom 74 and Heritage 91's true worth lies in the soft nib selection which are both available in any other color as long as it's black... boring but damn good fancy nibs

if your not going for the soft nib variants I just say what works for you

as I can say Pilot's nibs come teetheringly close to the european standard... as I tested quite a bunch of nib from my trip to Japan :3

I like blue too, but you have a point, it has to be a good type of blue.

I haven't been considering soft nibs, because I don't really know what they would do for me in my daily writing.

My Metropolitan has almost, the perfect line width for me. If the golds nibs have the same width, I'm satisfied.

YNWA - JFT97

Oh boy. I have an incoming order that includes the 74, 91 and 92. I think you commented on that post.

I don't have the experience of holding them in my hands, but at least I can give you my thinking of why I chose each one.

74: I've never owned a yellow gold nib. I've never owned a classical cigar shape pen and no one can't go wrong with having at least one. With those 2 options, I end up getting a very professional looking pen, when the occasion comes up. (I chose a Black Resin version)

91: Shaper ends (not curvy as in the 74). I own a Pilot Falcon which I like, but the soft nib doesn't allow me to use it as an everyday writer. I want something similar to a 74, but not as flashy, for an everyday writer. Well, the 91 is Rhodium plated and when I look at the pictures, I see a Falcon without the soft nib. Makes me happy. (I choose a Black Resin Version)

92: Never owned a demonstrator. Well, I had a demonstrator once from Noodler's, which came free with an order. I hated the pen. The acrylic was horrible, too much dirt/inclusions in the clear body. The piston was awful. Ink would get all over the place. The the finicky nib+feed combo would make me crazy, I never got it to work in the right place. The piston broke and I threw the thing away. After inquiring with different retailers why the 92 is so expensive as other demonstrators, they all agreed in the same thing: The acrylic/resin is of superb quality to make it ultra clear and ultra clean. Always wanted a piston demonstrator pen to see the ink dance inside. The quality of the 92 sold it to me. Important to note that not many piston pens use 1 rubber seal like Pilot, which tells you right away how confident they are of its quality. Most piston pens have double rubber seals. (I chose the clear demonstrator)

All mediums for me!!

Anyways, I hope this helps, even if is a little. :D

-Peppers

Edited by Peppers

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

I cast my vote for the 92 as well. I'm a huge fan of piston fillers and the one on the 92 is extremely high quality, it's very smooth and just wonderful to use. I can't comment on the nib as mine has a Soft Medium nib (swapped from a 91), but Pilot nibs are generally lovely and smooth.

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

I cast my vote for the 92 as well. I'm a huge fan of piston fillers and the one on the 92 is extremely high quality, it's very smooth and just wonderful to use. I can't comment on the nib as mine has a Soft Medium nib (swapped from a 91), but Pilot nibs are generally lovely and smooth.

I'm mostly worried that the softness of the nib will make the lines too broad. I don't want to go down one size, since it might be too fine for my liking.

But it could be that I haven't understood the thing about soft nibs.

YNWA - JFT97

I hope I can be of some help to you since I own 3 Custom 74's (2 are clear, and 1 is blue) and 2 3776's (one black and one chartres blue). Of the Custom 74's 2 have a M nib and 1 is F. Both 3776's are M.

I prefer the 3776's and it's because of the nib. The M is what I would consider Western fine. Perhaps leaning toward a M/F. They are a tad springy but not soft (definitely not hard). They put down a good line, medium wetness. The nibs were very smooth of the box in terms of "not scratchy," but they have some feedback. Good feedback -- you can hear them writing and they have just a bit of resistance. But they are not scratchy or harsh in the least bit (and I hate scratchy nibs). The 3776 writes really nicely when posted. It has a nice weight and balance when posted. Perhaps it's just a smidge short and light when I write with it unposted--but since it is so comfortable when posted this is a not an issue. The black is a nice looker--like a poor man's Montblanc. But the chartres blue is beautiful. Professional but with just a bit an artistic flair. This one is my favorite pen of all. I was using it at the office today and I thought for a moment I should clean out all of pens I own and just use the chartres blue 3776.

The Custom 74 is a nice pen. It is a touch longer and heavier than the 3776 so I write with them unposted. When posted they are just a tiny bit heavier than I like. The M nib is a true Western M in terms of width. My two M's write wet and they were very smooth out of the box. They are both noticeably thicker in line than the 2 Metros I have (both M nibs). I'm not sure why the difference. The F nib in the Custom 74 is more like a Western XF. I don't like it. It's too scratchy and that's after tuning it. I don't even use it anymore. The CON-70 is a nice converter but it's a pain to clean out.

In terms of filling system, my preference, all other things being equal, would be for a piston filler. But filling system is not a make it or break it thing for me.

So, in summary, I vote 3776.

Edited by Danny Kaffee

I'm mostly worried that the softness of the nib will make the lines too broad. I don't want to go down one size, since it might be too fine for my liking.

But it could be that I haven't understood the thing about soft nibs.

I didn't try the regular M nib, but the SM nib isn't super soft to the point where it creates a broader line in regular writing. I write with a very light hand and the line with is pretty uniformly medium, unless I inadvertently press harder on a downstroke. The softness is only enough to give the nib a pleasant springiness and bounce, and I don't push it past that.

Here is a quick writing sample I did a while ago:

http://i.imgur.com/iR7F8Ku.jpg

Edited by nyx_h

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

<snip>

The Custom 74 is a nice pen. It is a touch longer and heavier than the 3776 so I write with them unposted. When posted they are just a tiny bit heavier than I like. The M nib is a true Western M in terms of width. My two M's write wet and they were very smooth out of the box. They are both noticeably thicker in line than the 2 Metros I have (both M nibs). I'm not sure why the difference. The F nib in the Custom 74 is more like a Western XF. I don't like it. It's too scratchy and that's after tuning it. I don't even use it anymore. The CON-70 is a nice converter but it's a pain to clean out.

I had more or less decided to buy a CH92 M, but... Noticeably thicker you say....

Hmmm, now you got me confused. I was almost sure the steel medium and the gold medium had the same width.

Maybe I should go for the FM, or maybe the SFM and in that case a CH91. Or maybe even a 3776 M...

On the other hand. My AL-star F writes thicker than my Metropolitan M. Maybe the gold M writes the same width as my AL-star, and that wouldn't be the end of the world.

Gaaaah! It would have been so much easier if I could try them out in a store, but that's not even a remote dream in the northern parts of Europe...

YNWA - JFT97

I didn't try the regular M nib, but the SM nib isn't super soft to the point where it creates a broader line in regular writing. I write with a very light hand and the line with is pretty uniformly medium, unless I inadvertently press harder on a downstroke. The softness is only enough to give the nib a pleasant springiness and bounce, and I don't push it past that.

Here is a quick writing sample I did a while ago:

http://i.imgur.com/iR7F8Ku.jpg

Thanks for the explanation.

Nice sheen, BTW!

YNWA - JFT97

I have an 18k platinum nib on the modern Make-I and it is a bit springy too. Not much line variation, but it is very pleasant to use, and makes a contrast to harder nibs.

Cult Pens have got 20% off all their Platinum range at the moment.

Of the ones you mention I only have/had the Platinum 3776 and the Pilot CH92, both with regular M nibs. The line width of the pilot was a wee bit thicker than the platinum. It really depends on what you like. For me it was the Platinum (and usually I don't like cigar shaped pens).

My impressions are:

The platinum 3776 nibs have a little bit of feedback, which I like because it gives me more control. The ink capacity is ok and not a problem for me. They are smaller pens (I believe the 74's are of the same size) but post very well. They are also lightweight, but posted have a good weight for me. Finally, they are gorgeous - my son and I have the Chartres Blue and my wife the Bourgogne Red, all Medium nibs.

The Pilot CH92 had a very smooth nib, too smooth for my liking. It is well constructed and a little larger and heavier than the Platinum. The piston works fantastically and, in fact, it is the only pilot with a decent filling system IMO (I dislike all of pilot's converters: the con-20 and con-50 are ridiculous, and the con-70, despite having a great capacity, is my definition of pain both to fill and clean. Of course, this is just my opinion). What I disliked the most on the CH92 was the appearance, it seems to me that pilot put together parts of different colors without any regard of how they would go together. Of all the pens that I ever bought, it is the only one I let go. That said, I didn't need another piston filled pen nor another demonstrator, and of the three pilots you mention I would still get the CH92.

I must say that I have a strange relationship with pilot: all their pens have something that annoy me, be it the filling system, the aesthetics, etc.. Yet I keep buying them, because they are very good pens - they are just unable to make me really love them. The only exception is the Vanishing point, that one I love (despite the ridiculous capacity of the converter :) ). And, true to form, currently the Vermillion Custom 845 is a strong contender for the next pen I'm going to buy. Go figure :).

Good luck in your decision, I believe any of them will be good pens and something tells me that whatever you decide now, you will probably get one of the others down the line.

Edited by Lam1

The Custom 74 is gorgeous, but the gold plating might be too much bling to some. The Custom Heritage 91 can either be more flashy (if you pick the Yama-Budo or the Tsuki-yo) or more sober because of the silver plating, which is more common in every day pens for non-fountain pen users. The Platinum 3776 basic model is a good alternative to either of those, but they can't use a large converter like the Pilot CON-70, and they look more like a Montblanc than an authentic pen in my opinion. The Custom Heritage 92 I believe is a piston filler, if you like this it probably is good.

I had a Custom 74 with medium nib that didn't have a great nib, at least for my writing angle at the time. It was a Western medium in size, not "Metropolitan" medium. I really wish to try one again, or maybe a Custom Heritage 91, but my mind is into Franklin-Christoph right now. The pen was gorgeous though. Great weight and feel in the hand. I liked Pilot a lot but I don't really prefer their nibs anymore. I sold most of them, but I still have 3 Prera's which I stopped using because they are too fine for my currently liking. I inked up the medium one the other day and it's a mix of smoothness and scratchiness to me, I believe the angle is the problem, sometimes it feels too fine or have a tiny sweet spot, I'm not sure. I prefer my Lamy's right now. I'm only telling you this because maybe my Custom 74 was fine and the problem was my hand, since I had problems with a lot of Pilot pens regarding their nibs, I always had something to complain about, usually ink flow and writing angle, so I sold them. The Prera's work fine, I only still complain about their medium nibs. Great pen bodies.

Edited by arcadeflow