Pilot To Introduce Con-40, Discontinuing Con-20 & Con-50

zchen

I would say the 0.4ml converters have a logic to exist that I haven't read of. If you are this kind of person that don't use your pens that much and/or chagne the ink color often, the 0.4 ml converter is your thing.... I would have different types of converters for this reason.

Someyimes i get tired of f the same ink on a ED or lesss used pen and definitely don't change the ink because it is not a good practice to put it back on the bottle or just down the sink, or botheersome to clean after each change of color...

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• AndyYNWA

• Icywolfe

• Peppers

I agree, and I don't particularly care whether the new converter holds 0.5ml or 0.4ml. I'm more interested in whether the new converter is an improvement in functionality over the old one (or at least it should be no worse), but it seems most of the thread has been about the reduction in capacity. But then my pens are on the finer end of the spectrum so even 0.5ml (or 0.4ml) goes a long way. I also never carry just one pen so running out of ink is not an issue for me. Personally, I prefer to refill my pen more often than let the ink sit around in the pen, so I have no complaints about the small capacity of Japanese converters. :)

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

So your experience is that CON-40 and CON-50 have the same capacity?

Which do you prefer? I'm about to order a couple of new converters for my Pilots, shall I go for CON-40 or CON-50?

They have exactly the same capacity.

The CON-50 is more traditional-looking for a converter, but they are both the same length and diameter. The CON-40 has three tiny metal balls, while the CON-50 has that ugly pop-rivet, but the 50 has two rings on the piston, where the 40 only has one.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I would say the 0.4ml converters have a logic to exist that I haven't read of. If you are this kind of person that don't use your pens that much and/or chagne the ink color often, the 0.4 ml converter is your thing.... I would have different types of converters for this reason.

Someyimes i get tired of f the same ink on a ED or lesss used pen and definitely don't change the ink because it is not a good practice to put it back on the bottle or just down the sink, or botheersome to clean after each change of color...

No one is forcing you to fill the other converters completely. Sometimes I fill my con-50 only halfway, or even only a third if it's an ink i'm not sure about.

No one is forcing you to fill the other converters completely. Sometimes I fill my con-50 only halfway, or even only a third if it's an ink i'm not sure about.

Do you half put on your pants or dress? Do you comb alll your hair or just part of it?

Do you half put on your pants or dress? Do you comb alll your hair or just part of it?

I sometimes half-fill a converter - and I sometimes settle for a half-glass of wine (though I'm not sure whether that's half empty... or half full...). I usually try to walk out the door fully clothed, though - it's much kinder to my neighbours that way! :lol:

Not sure why anyone would want to mess around with a converter with 0.4 ml capacity when you can refill 0.9 ml capacity cartridges with about the same time and effort. Pilot cartridges are among the easiest to fill due their wide openings, and can be filled with a plastic pipette.

Advanced user tip: first time you refill the cartridge, pull out the little disc with a paper clip bent into a hook.

Edited by cellmatrix

I would prefer the CON-20 over this. Because of the larger ink capacity.

I don't like CON-20 because I can't see the ink level. I want to know how much I have to play with.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

Not sure why anyone would want to mess around with a converter with 0.4 ml capacity when you can refill 0.9 ml capacity cartridges with about the same time and effort. Pilot cartridges are among the easiest to fill due their wide openings, and can be filled with a plastic pipette.

Advanced user tip: first time you refill the cartridge, pull out the little disc with a paper clip bent into a hook.

+1

You can even reseal Pilot cartridges.

If you like me, change inks quite often, there is not big reason to have a large capacity converter.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

If you like me, change inks quite often, there is not big reason to have a large capacity converter.

You don't always have to fill a cartridge to its maximum capacity. Also, flushing out a cartridge/nib unit is a pretty fast/easy way to go, especially if you use an ear bulb. I only mention it because you change inks a lot and it might save some time. Happy writing!

Edited by cellmatrix

This would also mean I can't make fun of Sailor's poor choice of giving their largest pens one of the smallest CCs in the JP world.

#Nope

But it does at least mean you can finally put a twist converter into a Myu/Murex or old short Elite and still be able to see the ink level within.

The CON-40 is no shorter nor thinner than the CON-50. If a CON-50 won't fit, then I suspect the CON-40 won't either.

Granny Aching

The CON-40 is no shorter nor thinner than the CON-50. If a CON-50 won't fit, then I suspect the CON-40 won't either.

Then it would make no sense for Pilot to discontinue the CON-20 if that was the case. It would mean they had entire ranges of pens without a converter readily available (not counting the second hand market).

but the CON-40 fits a birdie which at this point couldnt even take in a CON-50 but it takes a CON-20 if that fits then it will fit the old pens

I just measured the two converters. The CON-50 has a step in the metal shroud with is a tad wider than the CON-40, which is the same diameter all the way.

fpn_1455418024__con-40.jpg

CON-40

fpn_1455418054__con-50.jpg

CON-50

All the other dimensions are the same between them, except that the equivalent of the metal shroud, which is transparent on the CON-40, extends up further than the metal shroud does on the CON-50.

Granny Aching

Then it would make no sense for Pilot to discontinue the CON-20 if that was the case. It would mean they had entire ranges of pens without a converter readily available (not counting the second hand market).

Could mean they are going to discontinue supporting CON-20 only pens and label them as "Cartridge only".

round-letter-exc.png