Pilot To Introduce Con-40, Discontinuing Con-20 & Con-50

zchen

Thank you for the information, very helpful!

So, all the people that say that con-20 holds more are wrong? It is all over the forum! OMG!

I have some transparent very small converters that seem to come from Pilots but I don't really now. I don't know who makes such tiny aconverters. I f I recall well, they were installe din a Pilot pen.

I recently ordered one or two con-20 and although the photot showed a white converter I received and unmarked, metal converter. It was a good fit, but is good to know I am entitle dto what th ephoto shows because they are different.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• AndyYNWA

• Icywolfe

• Peppers

I see no issue with the spring. It's a 2 handed converter, you can one hand it too. Hold the top shiny part of the converter. And no need to worry about the pen section dunking into the bottle. The Pilot converters hang on very tightly.

Clean the center rod (which is easy to do) the gunk can prevent it from sliding up and down freely which prevents it breaking bubbles. And if you are using some thick inks you can use some Photoflo.

I am not afraid about the pen falling into the bottle. I know I can use two hands, but if the ink level in your bottle is kind low, there is a chance the pen will slide off from your hand, and hit the bottom made of glass. The shiny part is slippery. That why I complain about the spring, it should be as soft as possible, so you don`t need to use so much force. The spring in my converter is just not so soft.

And the other issue is not solved by the center rod. The ink will just stick on the inside of the converter, stopping the flow. Lot of people have this issue also

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/270955-ink-flow-with-con-70/

I am not afraid about the pen falling into the bottle. I know I can use two hands, but if the ink level in your bottle is kind low, there is a chance the pen will slide off from your hand, and hit the bottom made of glass. The shiny part is slippery. That why I complain about the spring, it should be as soft as possible, so you don`t need to use so much force. The spring in my converter is just not so soft.

And the other issue is not solved by the center rod. The ink will just stick on the inside of the converter, stopping the flow. Lot of people have this issue also

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/270955-ink-flow-with-con-70/

The issue is that it need to be a hard spring or it can't make a vacuum to suck up the ink.

I mainly use Iro inks in my Con70 except one pen which is the PO nibbed pen that has Pigment ink. I have a tiny bit of Photoflo added in the ink just to prevent ink sticking... which never happened but many seem to say it does so I have 20ml of more liquidy pigment ink. I do have the sticking to the sides issue with the Con20 though as the end tip of it is very narrow. But I also have a bottle of Photoflow that will more than likely last me till I end up in a box.

I also have a modified bottle of Noodle's Black as that tends to stick on all my converters. The Con50 w/o the metal thingy and the IntCC tends to have that ink hang up at the top. For the IntCC, both with tiny ball and without has that issue... as those balls tends to be made out of something like Aluminum or plastic or any other things without much mass.

Thank you for the information, very helpful!

So, all the people that say that con-20 holds more are wrong? It is all over the forum! OMG!

I have some transparent very small converters that seem to come from Pilots but I don't really now. I don't know who makes such tiny aconverters. I f I recall well, they were installe din a Pilot pen.

I recently ordered one or two con-20 and although the photot showed a white converter I received and unmarked, metal converter. It was a good fit, but is good to know I am entitle dto what th ephoto shows because they are different.

Well that is according to Pilot which was shocking, but then again I never really measured it.

Then again also, because some famous nib smith said the Con70 holds the same amount as the Con50 some people thing the Con70 is over priced and the same person said the Con50 holds like 0.4 ml. Pilot said the Con70 holds 1.1ml.

Con20 are metal squeeze converters. The Con50 is a piston converter, it has black twist part, shiny silver metal cover between the twist and clear. The Con40 is a mostly clear plastic with 3 metal balls and one metal ball catcher near the end.

Source: Google Translate

#Nope

Metal elabo will fit the con-70, resin elabo fits only up to con-50 much of the info is listed in Pilot japan's website if you can understand it

The custom will only fit till con-50 custom only remember without the number and it should look like a platinum standard/pilot celemo

Small pens like the legno, lucina, stella, custom 89 will only fit the con-50

Elite will only fit con-20 just like its ancestor elites

Ohh yeah remember the con-20 also comes in 2 flavors the one found similar to the parallel pen and the one mostly found in the internet with a metal case

Edited by Algester

Ohh yeah remember the con-20 also comes in 2 flavors the one found similar to the parallel pen and the one mostly found in the internet with a metal case

Isn't it like 4 though? Metro convert works fine on the Parallel. The Parallel CC doesn't work on their own pen. There is the Blue and White versions. Then there is white + no Japan (Possible Korea) and white + no Pilot logo. (Possible India ?)

#Nope

Isn't it like 4 though? Metro convert works fine on the Parallel. The Parallel CC doesn't work on their own pen. There is the Blue and White versions. Then there is white + no Japan (Possible Korea) and white + no Pilot logo. (Possible India ?)

I'm not sure about the activities of the overseas factory of Pilot in India, Thailand and South Korea so I'm not sure what your on the Con-W does have a white latex? Sac but while yes they are still produced but not advertised barely any modern Pilot pen uses the Con-W

I'm not sure about the activities of the overseas factory of Pilot in India, Thailand and South Korea so I'm not sure what your on the Con-W does have a white latex? Sac but while yes they are still produced but not advertised barely any modern Pilot pen uses the Con-W

No I mean Con20 White Ring. All current day ones uses the Blue ring.

The main difference of it the spring feel. The current day one is stiffer. On the inside it looks different but as I only have 2 of them I don't want to murder for science a fairly old converter.

#Nope

http://kmpn.blogspot.com/2013/08/pilot-converters.html

The picture from this blog post shows the difference in CON-20 converters that Icywolfe is talking about. The one labelled e has a blue opening and says Made in Japan. The second one, labelled f, has a white opening and only says Pilot Japan. I think the white opening style doesn't say Made in Japan because they are made in Pilot factories in other countries. I'm not totally sure that's the case, in that I didn't get that from Pilot literature, but I think it's true.

IB

Ohh the white sac con-20 they came out into the 80s-90s though and shouldnt exist as much as the blue sac variant call them vintage con-20s if you ever so wish

The thing is when I last looked up vintage Con20s I still gotten blue rings so I have no clue what is the exact time frame. Either people are miss marking stuff or both existed at the same time and the white ones just were phased out.

http://kmpn.blogspot.com/2013/08/pilot-converters.html

The picture from this blog post shows the difference in CON-20 converters that Icywolfe is talking about. The one labelled e has a blue opening and says Made in Japan. The second one, labelled f, has a white opening and only says Pilot Japan. I think the white opening style doesn't say Made in Japan because they are made in Pilot factories in other countries. I'm not totally sure that's the case, in that I didn't get that from Pilot literature, but I think it's true.

IB

I'm still wondering about the random "Press here" CC I gotten on I think a 78g a long time ago. It lacked the Pilot and Japan.

In terms of quality of the random con20s I have. (Highest to lowest) Modern Blue Con20 > Blue Con20 (Found on Dipper?) > White Ring Con20 "Pilot Japan" (Tried to buy a ton of Con20s* off ebay) > White Ring Con20 "Pilot" (Same as above) > Con20 "Press Here" (I'm fairly sure it was the 78g, but it could be the Crystal.)

Generally with the pens if it's japan. It said "Pilot Japan" if it wasn't in the case of my Dipper it only said "Pilot"

The "Pilot" and "Press Here" only CCs had one of the most wicked sharpest edges. It's like dangerous to press there.

Oh the fun stuff lost in history....

* It included modern and old white ring ones. Also I prefer using Con20s for cleaning that is the the reason for me buying alot.

#Nope

I'm happy with the cleaning converter in my Pilot Crystal, salvaged from my 3.8mm Parallel. As for the Parallel, I fill its cartridge with a standard disposable 3ml pipette. I pulled out the little cap with a pair of needle nosed pliers.

I used to have a Pilot VP. I used it so little that I gave it to my wife. She used it so little that she didn't miss it when it was lost in a move. I have no interest in the Pilot VP, and so don't fret about having a CON-50 for one. I dunno about the Decimo; if I ever handle one and decide I like it, I'd maybe consider getting one.

Stopped using my VP after getting a Decimo. Thinner, lighter and with a slightly different clip design, more comfortable in the hand.

+1

Stopped using my VP after getting a Decimo. Thinner, lighter and with a slightly different clip design, more comfortable in the hand.

does decimo use same nib unit as vp?

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the con-40 can be bought (like on here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pilot-CON-40-2016-NEW-Fountain-Pen-Converter-/191783292455?hash=item2ca72cce27:g:~9sAAOSwX~dWmIHK ), has anyone actually tried it and verified its advertised 0.4ml ink capacity?

I just bought a Pilot DPN-200 Desk pen, and with it I decided to get 1 x CON-40, 2 x CON 50 and 2 x CON-70 converters.

I filled each converter up to the point where it narrows a bit to fit into the pen, and measured the capacity.

CON-40 -- 0.4 mls

CON-50 -- 0.4 mls

CON-70 -- 0.8 mls

You could fit more by filling the converter to the top, but these are the Designed Capacities.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I just bought a Pilot DPN-200 Desk pen, and with it I decided to get 1 x CON-40, 2 x CON 50 and 2 x CON-70 converters.

I filled each converter up to the point where it narrows a bit to fit into the pen, and measured the capacity.

CON-40 -- 0.4 mls

CON-50 -- 0.4 mls

CON-70 -- 0.8 mls

You could fit more by filling the converter to the top, but these are the Designed Capacities.

Goulet states 0.6 ml for CON-50. Are they wrong?

http://blog.gouletpens.com/2013/08/pilot-converter-ink-capacities.html

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

Goulet states 0.6 ml for CON-50. Are they wrong?

http://blog.gouletpens.com/2013/08/pilot-converter-ink-capacities.html

Not if you fill it all the way to the top. I was just filling it to the Pilot recommended mark, where the barrel of the converter narrows a little to fit into the section. The extra bit would add about 0.2 ml, on each of the three converters.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Not if you fill it all the way to the top. I was just filling it to the Pilot recommended mark, where the barrel of the converter narrows a little to fit into the section. The extra bit would add about 0.2 ml, on each of the three converters.

So your experience is that CON-40 and CON-50 have the same capacity?

Which do you prefer? I'm about to order a couple of new converters for my Pilots, shall I go for CON-40 or CON-50?

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy