Pilot To Introduce Con-40, Discontinuing Con-20 & Con-50

zchen

to be honest if were going to talk about Pilot bottles I like the no longer existing Iroshizuku 25ml bottles

I will have no comments for the Converter just yet... not until I find out they dont fit into their older but newer than CON-W enabled cartridge pens

Would be nice if they fit into the vintage-ish 70s Elites (short pen).

But not sure why discontinue con-20 completely... *Shrug*

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• AndyYNWA

• Icywolfe

• dcwaites

But not sure why discontinue con-20 completely... *Shrug*

Newbie here.

I have always questioned the idea of storing ink on a plastic sack. Never owned one, but just thinking about it makes me feel that it can crack or rupture any day. Unlike the Pilot Metropolitan converters, the CON-20 is completely shielded, meaning that there is no way that you can observe how good is the life of the rubber, if it is time to swap it, or if it is about to crack/rupture. Personal opinion on something I've never used. :D BIAS!

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

I am new here, but I already noticed that everybody complains about converter capacity. As far from what I can tell, everyone here owns more than 1 fountain pen. Wouldn't common sense dictate to use the 2nd one when the 1st one runs outta ink? I've see threads here where people showcase their pen collections and they are quite large. I see it as an opportunity to use and rotate all the pens you have. :D I only got 2 pens, a Lamy Safari Charcoal & a Lamy Studio Palladium.

Hi Peppers, welcome to the forum. A year ago I had only 1 working pen, now there are about 60 in my house (some belong to my wife and to my son). So, I believe that if you continue to frequent these corners, you will soon have more than two :).

I usually have around 10 pens inked at any time (at times it can reach 18 to 20), although I only take 6 to work. All my inked pens have different inks on them (inks are the other obsession around these corners :D ). So, the problem is not to use or not another pen, but that I would like to use that specific pen for a longer time. The pen in question is a Vanishing Point and I absolutely love to write with it. I usually don't mind a pen running out of ink quickly, but not that fast: the con-50 is already the lowest capacity converter I have, now the one that will substitute it will have a capacity reduced by 20%?

I guess I'll have to do as other people mentioned and buy a few con-50 to store, for those other vanishing points that I see in my future :). Or maybe I should start right away by getting another Vanishing point... Uhm, that Twilight looks lovely... Decisions, decisions... :D

Newbie here.

I have always questioned the idea of storing ink on a plastic sack. Never owned one, but just thinking about it makes me feel that it can crack or rupture any day. Unlike the Pilot Metropolitan converters, the CON-20 is completely shielded, meaning that there is no way that you can observe how good is the life of the rubber, if it is time to swap it, or if it is about to crack/rupture. Personal opinion on something I've never used. :D BIAS!

Plastic Sac? You mean rubber/latex (there's a difference).

Also the con-20 is not completely shielded, and has the same chance of rupture as the 'cleaning converter', since that little opening where the pressure bar isn't going to 'shield' the ink from coming out, or shield the ink pouring out the front of your nib when air from the back pushes it out.

The reason I prefer the cleaning coverter over the con-20, when it comes to standard size pens (you can't get it into a pocket pen that easily, and it of course isn't designed to work in the VP), is because you can get a much better single squeeze out of it filling it up fuller, than the little pump you get from the little opening.

Hi Peppers, welcome to the forum. A year ago I had only 1 working pen, now there are about 60 in my house (some belong to my wife and to my son). So, I believe that if you continue to frequent these corners, you will soon have more than two :).

I usually have around 10 pens inked at any time (at times it can reach 18 to 20), although I only take 6 to work. All my inked pens have different inks on them (inks are the other obsession around these corners :D ). So, the problem is not to use or not another pen, but that I would like to use that specific pen for a longer time. The pen in question is a Vanishing Point and I absolutely love to write with it. I usually don't mind a pen running out of ink quickly, but not that fast: the con-50 is already the lowest capacity converter I have, now the one that will substitute it will have a capacity reduced by 20%?

I guess I'll have to do as other people mentioned and buy a few con-50 to store, for those other vanishing points that I see in my future :). Or maybe I should start right away by getting another Vanishing point... Uhm, that Twilight looks lovely... Decisions, decisions... :D

Hey, thanks!! :D

Seems that you are right on. Check this post: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/281748-what-pen-are-you-waiting-for-in-the-mail-2015/page-92?do=findComment&comment=3510383

I now understand your point. You want to enjoy the pen for a longer period of time, with the ink of your choice. Would it be too awkward to carry a bottle of ink with you and a paper towel? (Assuming you have a desk job). Call me weird, but when I leave the house, I see my pens as high-performance, first class writing instruments; When I return home I see them as a pleasurable instrument to write with. Two different things. Perhaps that is why I didn't understand your point before.

You will hate this post: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/291102-pens-everyone-seems-to-love-that-you-hate/page-11?do=findComment&comment=3510396 :lticaptd:

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

For the purposes of my fountain pen usage I'm fortunate to work in NYC and have the ability to pop into the only fountain pen shop left standing in the City: Fountain Pen Hospital. I ran down there today and grabbed 2 more Con 50 converters. The guys behind the counter hadn't heard the news yet but when I told them it was for the ostensible purpose of making a "one size fits all" converter they expressed skepticism and told me that none of the other pen companies which tried this move managed to make a converter which fit all of their pens. I love Pilot pens but this decision seems to me to be one done by the "bean counters" of the company while ignoring the wants or desires of their customers. How much money can they possibly be saving by doing this?

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Hey, thanks!! :D

Seems that you are right on. Check this post: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/281748-what-pen-are-you-waiting-for-in-the-mail-2015/page-92?do=findComment&comment=3510383

I now understand your point. You want to enjoy the pen for a longer period of time, with the ink of your choice. Would it be too awkward to carry a bottle of ink with you and a paper towel? (Assuming you have a desk job). Call me weird, but when I leave the house, I see my pens as high-performance, first class writing instruments; When I return home I see them as a pleasurable instrument to write with. Two different things. Perhaps that is why I didn't understand your point before.

You will hate this post: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/291102-pens-everyone-seems-to-love-that-you-hate/page-11?do=findComment&comment=3510396 :lticaptd:

Holy cow! At this rate you will have 200 pens after one year :D

Lovely pens that you have there. If I may suggest a few more ;), try a Platinum 3776 (the nib is excellent IMHO) and try a Pelikan too. Pelikans were among the last I tried, but after that I had a hard time buying anything else (but YMMV, of course).

In fact, I totally understand what you said about the vanishing point, as I had exactly the same feelings towards it. However, I once came across a post by a renowned nibmeister (I can't be sure, but I think it was Richard Binder) in which he mentioned that he had the same attitude towards the VP, but after years refusing to consider one he gave it a try and loved it. That got me thinking, and when a couple of months back my mother wanted to give me a pen I went with the VP [i wanted something that I knew I would have for years to come and that added something to my incipient collection, but at the same time I didn't want it to cost too much (thus, Pelikans were out of question)]. I couldn't be happier.

I know the VP is not for everyone, particularly because of the clip, which I knew wouldn't bother me because of my grip. It is also heavy, which for some is a problem (although the Decimo is lighter) but for me is heaven. But the F nib on the VP is sooo soft and gives me the writing experience that I can only get with some of my most expensive pens, and at a fraction of the cost. So, I am a convert (and the one whose picture you posted in that thread is in my short list :D ).

Oh, yes. I guess taking the bottle of ink is something that I could do. But I'd have to get organized and not leave in a hurry every day. That could be challenging :).

Edited by Lam1

Holy cow! At this rate you will have 200 pens after one year :D

Lovely pens that you have there. If I may suggest a few more ;), try a Platinum 3776 (the nib is excellent IMHO) and try a Pelikan too. Pelikans were among the last I tried, but after that I had a hard time buying anything else (but YMMV, of course).

In fact, I totally understand what you said about the vanishing point, as I had exactly the same feelings towards it. However, I once came across a post by a renowned nibmeister (I can't be sure, but I think it was Richard Binder) in which he mentioned that he had the same attitude towards the VP, but after years refusing to consider one he gave it a try and loved it. That got me thinking, and when a couple of months back my mother wanted to give me a pen I went with the VP [i wanted something that I knew I would have for years to come and that added something to my incipient collection, but at the same time I didn't want it to cost too much (thus, Pelikans were out of question)]. I couldn't be happier.

I know the VP is not for everyone, particularly because of the clip, which I knew wouldn't bother me because of my grip. It is also heavy, which for some is a problem (although the Decimo is lighter) but for me is heaven. But the F nib on the VP is sooo soft and gives me the writing experience that I can only get with some of my most expensive pens, and at a fraction of the cost. So, I am a convert (and the one whose picture you posted in that thread is in my short list :D ).

Oh, yes. I guess taking the bottle of ink is something that I could do. But I'd have to get organized and not leave in a hurry every day. That could be challenging :).

Yup, yup, yup! I got an eye on that Platinum 3776 on Blue. Probably a year from now I get it. I am in my Master's Degree, no money for a 200 pen collection. What you saw on that post, was probably as big as it will ever get.

I am an Engineer (still in school), I am pretty sure that my collection will stay incipient forever. In the past I have tried to check some positive VP reviews, but so far it hasn't not appealed to me, at all. I am not saying is a bad pen, but personal preference is telling me to stay away. I am sure it is a great pen for VP owners, we can't all like the same stuff.

Personally, I would not recommend you a traveling ink well (?), like the Visconti one to refill your pen ($70 USD I think). For the price, you can get that Platinum 3776 and send it my way. :lticaptd:

So the next question is, I hope its easy to take apart and remove the balls and strainer to get some ink capacity back. Ok, that wasn't a question.

• 1 month later...

And just perhaps -merely speculation, mind you- the new converter may be an improvement over the current batch. It seems people are condemning Pilot converters, and simultaneously, wistfully mourning the passing of this generation. Oh, the weakness of the flesh!

Four little balls should overcome surface tension and nicely break up bubbles appearing in the midst of the wide variety of inks we have access to. Perhaps a problem has been fixed? Then again, Con-20 type converters have worked well for me in many different pens over the decades.

The main distinction of import, to me, seems to be whetherthe ink supply is visible, or not. If visible, you can top it up if need be, and go abroad well-prepared for the day.

Edited by Brianm_14

Brian

Thanks for the news!

The CON-40 with a 0.4 ml capacity isn't going to change my opinion that syringe filling cartridges is the way to go with Pilot C/C filling pens.

Yeah, I syringe up my Pilot C/Cs too so I'm not that badly affected by this development.

raf.

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

My favorite C/C system is the con-70. It is holds tons of ink and reliable. Why can't pilot figure out a way to put into the VP? If it is too big; why not make it smaller? I would have rather the con-40 been a smaller version of con-70.

Edited by pkoko

I think of my FPs as my children.

I don't really like any Pilot converters but this one doesn't look bad. The balls are in there for cleaning purposes...like you use to clean a decanter?

Yeah, what are these balls for?

They're for breaking the surface tension of the ink inside the converter, so the ink doesn't stop flowing into the feed.

Scientia potentia est.

They're for breaking the surface tension of the ink inside the converter, so the ink doesn't stop flowing into the feed.

Ah that makes sense. You learn something new every day. I have the same little ball in this Nemosine Singularity converter I got the other day.

Sounds like an improvement.

They used to have three "not so good" converters.

Now they have only two.

The Con70 isn't bad.

#Nope

The Con70 isn't bad.

I don't think it is bad, but it isn't good either.

My main issue with the con-70 is the tendency for bubbles to stop the ink flow. People say to change ink. Well, this helps, but if I don't want to change the ink?

The second issue, is the strength (or hardness) of the spring inside the converter. I have to pull so strong that I am always afraid to damage the nib.

In the end, I prefer to refill an empty cartridge.

Can someone explain in a paragraph the different converters of Pilot? I have a few con-20 but don't know how a con-50 looks or its capacity. So far from the discussions I have read, it seems that con-50 holds less than the con-20 but how do I identify it? I may have some in my inventory or installed I would like to remove. My Pilots are:

1- 78G. (Qty=3)

2- Metropolitan

3- Namiki Falcon

4- VP

5- CH912

Will a con-20fit all of them or do they use different converters?

BTW. Don't like cartridges for the basic reason the inks are not tempting except black and that syringe filling is too much work. I keep cartridges for when I travel.

Thanks! :-)

I don't think it is bad, but it isn't good either.

My main issue with the con-70 is the tendency for bubbles to stop the ink flow. People say to change ink. Well, this helps, but if I don't want to change the ink?

The second issue, is the strength (or hardness) of the spring inside the converter. I have to pull so strong that I am always afraid to damage the nib.

In the end, I prefer to refill an empty cartridge.

I see no issue with the spring. It's a 2 handed converter, you can one hand it too. Hold the top shiny part of the converter. And no need to worry about the pen section dunking into the bottle. The Pilot converters hang on very tightly.

Clean the center rod (which is easy to do) the gunk can prevent it from sliding up and down freely which prevents it breaking bubbles. And if you are using some thick inks you can use some Photoflo.

Can someone explain in a paragraph the different converters of Pilot? I have a few con-20 but don't know how a con-50 looks or its capacity. So far from the discussions I have read, it seems that con-50 holds less than the con-20 but how do I identify it? I may have some in my inventory or installed I would like to remove. My Pilots are:

1- 78G. (Qty=3)

2- Metropolitan

3- Namiki Falcon

4- VP

5- CH912

Will a con-20fit all of them or do they use different converters?

BTW. Don't like cartridges for the basic reason the inks are not tempting except black and that syringe filling is too much work. I keep cartridges for when I travel.

Thanks! :-)

The Customs and Custom Heritage and Namiki (Big cigar like pens) Fits up to the Con70. I think the Metal Elabo can use the con70. (But don't quote me on that)

Metro, Elabo, VP, 78G uses the Con20, Cleaning Converter, Con20 White, Con50, Con 20 Unmarked. But the unmarked Con20 might not always fit.

The Con50 and Con20 according to Pilot holds the same amount.

#Nope