Pilot Custom 74 Sf/sfm Vs Soft Or Medium

jodi_maloney

After acquiring a lot of gift cards for my birthday, I decided I would like to finally get a gold nib pen. All I can afford is an eBay/Amazon seller of the Pilot Custom 74, but I am dedicated to this pen after many reviews., so I would not like to change that. This seems to be the best pen for my hand size, school and other things I may use it for, like generic writing.

One thing I cannot seem to find much of are pictures or suggestions of nib comparisons. I would definitely like a nib with a bit of line variation (and yes I know flex and soft are not the same thing). I know the soft nibs and according to some websites, even standard nibs will offer that, but I would like some more judgement on my opinion. I can be a consistent writer when I want to, but also want some creativity in my writing which is why I might want a soft nib. Any opinions on them?

Again this would be for a high school student who's looking for a bit of line variation, and would like a nice pen to carry around. Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Notgatherox

• jodi_maloney

• luhkey

• Algester

The soft nibs on the Pilots are nice, they do give line variation without much pressure. I loved my SFM while it lasted.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I loved my SFM while it lasted.

while it lasted?

i find my SFM 74 to be an enjoyable pen with no regrets.

i wasn't sure about the SFM over the SF or SM, but i was aiming for a general purpose fine nib. not too catchy but not too broad for my smaller, fast handwriting.

the best nib comparison i can make would be to my Nib Creeper. my SFM is about the same tipping size, softer, but it doesn't open up as much if you try to flex it.

for me it does just what i was hoping it would. a journaling pen that adds a little automatic line variation. it isn't fussy with my ink or paper choices so far.

i would be interested to try the SF and FA nibs to see the difference as far as finer lines and greater swells.

for me, the 74 doesn't feel like the most solid pen though. if i wanted to make it a pen i would carry i would want a sturdy case for it, for my lifestyle at least.

edit: this image isn't mine but it was helpful to me.

http://i.imgur.com/hMdQwRb.jpg

Edited by luhkey

while it lasted?

i find my SFM 74 to be an enjoyable pen with no regrets.

i wasn't sure about the SFM over the SF or SM, but i was aiming for a general purpose fine nib. not too catchy but not too broad for my smaller, fast handwriting.

the best nib comparison i can make would be to my Nib Creeper. my SFM is about the same tipping size, softer, but it doesn't open up as much if you try to flex it.

for me it does just what i was hoping it would. a journaling pen that adds a little automatic line variation. it isn't fussy with my ink or paper choices so far.

i would be interested to try the SF and FA nibs to see the difference as far as finer lines and greater swells.

for me, the 74 doesn't feel like the most solid pen though. if i wanted to make it a pen i would carry i would want a sturdy case for it, for my lifestyle at least.

edit: this image isn't mine but it was helpful to me.

http://i.imgur.com/hMdQwRb.jpg

Yeah, while it lasted. I eventually gave it away and got a Heritage 92. Piston filler yay.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I got me a SM CH91... will be getting a CH912 sometime next year-ish just not sure when... gotta love that FA nib... at least I kinda liked it but YMMV

but the SM nib is good I mean it writes like a western M nib but with extra spring :3

I may also buy a CH92 down the line but just not decided yet if I should be getting a CH92 or a Sailor Shiki-oriori meigetsu... ideally in the same price range... then put my SM nib to the CH92 at least this way it wont be finicky with the ink in the CON-70

Edited by Algester

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go with the SF nib. I like the fine writing as we have some pretty bad (and I mean really bad) paper at my school...

• 7 years later...
On 11/30/2015 at 6:25 PM, jodi_maloney said:

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go with the SF nib. I like the fine writing as we have some pretty bad (and I mean really bad) paper at my school...

How's it working out with you on the bad paper? I'm between a F and a SF for a 74 purchase.  I want to take lots of clear notes on varying paper while getting enjoyment out of it but don't want the softness to get in the way of my productivity.

19 hours ago, ryry said:

How's it working out with you on the bad paper? I'm between a F and a SF for a 74 purchase.  I want to take lots of clear notes on varying paper while getting enjoyment out of it but don't want the softness to get in the way of my productivity.

If you are a fast scribbler it might be easier with the F nib. That's the choice I would make for myself if I were interested in a custom 74 for productivity. 

On 10/24/2023 at 7:57 AM, ryry said:

I frequently use a #5 SF nib for fast notes, although it's in a Custom Heritage 91, not a Custom 74.  It works fine.  The line consistency certainly would be better if it was an F and not an SF.  But for me, they're notes, not a work to be published, so good enough is good enough.  Are they "clear enough"?  I don't know, but I think most of the sloppiness of my notes is a combination of handwriting and haste, and only a minor part of it the soft nib.  My writing, even current "fast notes", is on good quality FP friendly paper.