Pocket Safe?

tacticaltimmy12

Is it safe to carry a fountain pen in your pants pocket? I wear cargo pants and like to carry a pen and notebook in my cargo pocket, but I'm worried that the pen will leak. The pen's that I'd carry would either be the Platinum Preppy, or the Pilot 78G. I'm not using an eye dropper conversion, just using cartridges and converters. They seem pretty secure, but I'd hate to ruin a pair of pants.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• jar

• sandy101

• tacticaltimmy12

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you will be OK but there are pen sleeves that might be useful. If you really wanted protection maybe a toothbrush case?

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Never underestimate the ability of a pen to spontaneously unscrew itself in your pocket. A pen wallet/slip is your friend - and it stops the pen from getting scratched too.

Pants Pockets... especially jeans, I usually will not place a pen there unless it's made for that (ie: Kaweco AL Sport for example), or it's in a hard case.

Anything else, it's shirt pocket or cased.

Also because the Preppy is prone to cap cracks, I wouldn't do that either. A Pilot Petit1 is more durable in the pocket than a Preppy.

Edited by KBeezie

I always carry a pen in my pocket and forget about it.

New pens that make it through a week, leak free, get asked out again and become "Every Day Carrys"

I try not to take out pricey pens for fear of losing them :( but anything up to £50 that doesn't leak in any way makes it.

My Preppy's caps have a life of their own so only the Plasir version ever travels. Every Chinese pen apart from my cheapest a Hero 907 has leaked during pocket duty.

My personal prize winner for non leaking, a green Pilot 78G, full cartridge, made it through a 30degree wash and a 1200 spin without spilling a drop. Incredible.

Lately no-one else has been out apart from My Faber Castell Ondoro. So compact and such a delight to use.

Best of luck.

i pretty much agree with jar, here. while i carry a lot of stuff in my cargo pants --- not least my notebook --- my pen gets clipped in the pocket of my shirt, usually a polo shirt. i've given up on wearing pocketless shirts, i need to carry too much stuff.

i pretty much agree with jar, here. while i carry a lot of stuff in my cargo pants --- not least my notebook --- my pen gets clipped in the pocket of my shirt, usually a polo shirt. i've given up on wearing pocketless shirts, i need to carry too much stuff.

I've pretty much kept myself to shirts with pockets, since even a t-shirt can have a pocket.

The other day seen someone sharing a shirt off one of the printing sites (same one I Seen before, but this time as worn).

http://i.imgur.com/Wli1574.jpg

My first immediate thought was, "Where the hell is the pocket?".

It would be like making a fountain pen oriented calendar that isn't fountain pen friendly for writing on the day boxes.

Edited by KBeezie

I have had about a half dozen pens come uncapped in my pockets. One unfortunate incident involved a Platinum Preppy converted to an eyedropper coming completely unscrewed. It happens, and it is not pleasant. I have learned that if the cap is a pop off friction type cap, then it should probably not go into a pants pocket. If it has a barrel that comes unscrewed easily, then it shouldn't go into any pocket. If you want to carry a pen in a pocket choose one that is solidly built and that features a solid screw cap. Anything else is just begging for trouble.

I've carried a Kaweco AL Sport in the pocket of my jeans for the past couple of years without incident, but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable mistreating a less sturdy pen in this way.

Pants pocket without a case? Nope. Won't do it. I did send a Parker 45 through the wash once. broke the barrel of the pen, but didn't leak. Never again. I still haven't got a replacement barrel.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I carry a Kaweco sport in my gym shorts to the gym to record my workouts DURING the workouts. That means that sometimes the pen will undergo some heavy stress on the cap and barrel. It's the only pen I am totally confidential will not break. Compared to the gym, cargo pants are light duty. It hasn't unscrewed Itself or come apart at any time in the span of over a year in the gym environment.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

I've pretty much kept myself to shirts with pockets, since even a t-shirt can have a pocket.

The other day seen someone sharing a shirt off one of the printing sites (same one I Seen before, but this time as worn).

http://i.imgur.com/Wli1574.jpg

My first immediate thought was, "Where the hell is the pocket?".

It would be like making a fountain pen oriented calendar that isn't fountain pen friendly for writing on the day boxes.

You are over thinking it. I wear shirts without pockets all the time and still carry my pen. I just clip it to the collar, sometimes with the pen riding outside the shirt, sometimes in...doesn't matter, still works fine. I usually clip it off to the right though, kind of directly over my collar bone. No shirt pocket = no problem.

You are over thinking it. I wear shirts without pockets all the time and still carry my pen. I just clip it to the collar, sometimes with the pen riding outside the shirt, sometimes in...doesn't matter, still works fine. I usually clip it off to the right though, kind of directly over my collar bone. No shirt pocket = no problem.

But I *Want* a shirt pocket on a shirt that says something like that.

But I *Want* a shirt pocket on a shirt that says something like that.

Ah, well, yes...then it becomes an issue, lol.

The shirt made me chuckle...its a contradiction (you can't buy happiness, but you can) -- but I get the point behind it.

I use an Ohto Tasche. The shorter pen and the overlapping construction of the metal cap and barrel is more secure than a regular pen, which could crack at the plastic section.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Is it safe to carry a fountain pen in your pants pocket? I wear cargo pants and like to carry a pen and notebook in my cargo pocket, but I'm worried that the pen will leak. The pen's that I'd carry would either be the Platinum Preppy, or the Pilot 78G. I'm not using an eye dropper conversion, just using cartridges and converters. They seem pretty secure, but I'd hate to ruin a pair of pants.

Hey tactical, I wear Ralph Lauren cargo shorts every day and some days I carry my Platinum preppy with converter fill with BSB. No leaks. I also have a cheap Noodlers eye dropper, filled with BSG. This one hasn't leak when I've carried it, either

Always have a Kaweco sport in my pants pocket. Personally, I don't like to clip my pens in my shirt pocket so usually have them in a 3 pen case that I put in my back pocket or in my jacket pocket ( if I am wearing one ).

I think I am old enough to decide where I want to keep my pens!

David

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,we shall never under any conditions submit to the

domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which

no good man will consent to lose but with his life.

thanks for all the replies. Really helpful answers. So with a sleeve, how well will that protect my pocket if the pen leaks?

Edited by tacticaltimmy12