Sheaffer Valor

brownargus

MrPen has acquired a number of Sheaffer Valor in blue with a Medium nib as a result of the takeover of Sheaffer by Cross. These are on offer at the very competitive price of £68. I appreciate that this pen is a discontinued line but it is a good chance to obtain a Sheaffer with an inlaid nib at a very good price. I've ordered mine to join my Targa, Crest and Triumph models.

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drone

• brownargus

• howw

• Aramchek

Available: only the blue version and only with rhodium-plated 14K gold nib and rhodium furniture, witih converter (piston or aerometric?). There is mention of a "Very high quality gift case", but it doesn't explicitly say it comes with the orignal box (this can matter, read below) and if-so, which version box (there was a wooden box, and a cardboard box). The Valor was once Sheaffer's Flagship pen.

Link to sale page: http://www.mrpen.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d205_Sheaffer_Valor.html#p1185

The GBP 68.00 price (~$103 USD at post-time) is not too bad considering it is getting pretty hard to find these pens nowadays, and you are buying from a reputable deal who knows fountain pens. The more desirable (in the collector-market) versions with the unplated 14K gold nib and gold plated furniture go for a street price of around $100-$150 plus shipping depending on condition. I purchased my black/gold Valor in essentially unused condition complete with the very substantial wooden high-end box for a tad under $100 plus shipping. The best quality wooden box that came with the Valor is quite collectable, and if it comes with the pen it can add value. But to many, pen boxes are just a bother. Also the wooden box is heavy and can add to the shipping cost. Some Valor pens came in cardboard boxes.

Here's a PenHero page on the Valor: http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferValor.htm

This pen is (in my opinion) one of the most handsomely designed men's pens ever made; in-line with Sheaffer's PFM series. Introduced c.2000, the Valor is supposedly made in Italy by some big-name Italian pen maker (anyone with proof of which one?) Also, the pen was supposedly designed in Germany (again, any proof out there?) There are various accounts as to the Valor's nib manufacture: Some say the nibs and Italian-made sections were assembled in Ft. Madison, some say nib manufacture and assembly was licensed to Italy. I don't know which for-sure.

Like any Sheaffer's inlaid nib pen, the Valor has a spotted reputation when it comes to ink flow. Some say the nib will run dry, some say it is too wet, some say it is juuust right! The nib in my Valor ran dry - and it was a pain in the neck to work on. But it is OK now. Keep in-mind, Sheaffer's inlaid nibs are notoriously difficult to adjust, and even harder to repair.

Sheaffer's original piston converters (more desirable than the aeormetric converters) are proprietary and a bit difficult to find, but can still be had NOS. Also, the piston converters are typically dark smoke colored which makes it annoyingly difficult to see the ink level.

So this is a good deal from MrPen on a good pen that is getting harder to find, especially if it is new old stock and if it writes OK. MrPen has a good reputation for standing by what he sells, so you should be safe if there's a problem. Nice tip...

With Regards, David

Edited by Drone

I received mine and it came in a black, highly polished, quality, heavy box and looked very good. However, although rated as a medium nib, it was more like a wet broad which was no use to me, so regretably I had to return it for a refund, leaving me disappointed as it was a pen I had wished for.

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

I received mine and it came in a black, highly polished, quality, heavy box and looked very good. However, although rated as a medium nib, it was more like a wet broad which was no use to me, so regretably I had to return it for a refund, leaving me disappointed as it was a pen I had wished for.

Sorry to hear that. Like I said, these pens often run wet or dry - and they'r a pain to adjust.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you brownargus for the information. I bought my pen last Friday and received it yesterday (Thursday, just one week from UK to Hong Kong). After cleaning it last night, I inked it up this morning and it wrote wet and bold exactly as described by brownargus. I think this writing characteristic suits the style of the pen quite well. The pen itself looks gorgeous and much better than the photo.

A photo of my pen.

fpn_1449849393__valor.jpeg

Thank you brownargus for the information. I bought my pen last Friday and received it yesterday (Thursday, just one week from UK to Hong Kong). After cleaning it last night, I inked it up this morning and it wrote wet and bold exactly as described by brownargus. I think this writing characteristic suits the style of the pen quite well. The pen itself looks gorgeous and much better than the photo.

A photo of my pen.

Glad to be able to help and that the nib suits you.

Those pens sure are gorgeous. I wish that a) I could afford one right now and B) there was an EF option.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

A photo of my pen.

Congratulations on the acquisition. The Blue Acrylic looks enticing. I've never personally seen a blue Valor (mine is black/gold). Did a real Sheaffer's piston (not squeeze/aerometric) converter come with your pen? If-yes; is the transparent part of the converter smoke-tinted (which makes the ink level very hard to see)? I did hear somewhere the converters that came with the latter delvered Valor pen models were clear, not dark.

It comes with a twist converter and the transparent part is smoke tinted. I have not used it. But when I washed it, I could see the water level inside. So I think you should have no problem in seeing the ink level.

Went through the web site at Mr. Pen and purchased 2 days ago. Unfortunately I received an email today telling me the pen is now sold out and they had no idea how I was able to order and send payment. So, if any of you fine people know of a similiar opportunity to buy the Valor, I'm very interested.

Went through the web site at Mr. Pen and purchased 2 days ago. Unfortunately I received an email today telling me the pen is now sold out and they had no idea how I was able to order and send payment. So, if any of you fine people know of a similiar opportunity to buy the Valor, I'm very interested.

Thanks for letting us know - I was seriously tempted by this opportunity, even though I couldn't justify the expense right now. You've solved my conundrum for me - at least for now!