Franklin-Christoph 40 Panther

latetotheparty

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to acquire a Franklin-Christoph 40 (Panther) recently.

post-126058-0-70099500-1448546005_thumb.jpg

They don't come up for sale that often, so you have have to keep an eye on the F-C stockroom and be quick!

My 40 has gold-white-gold bands on the cap.

post-126058-0-19841500-1448545996_thumb.jpg

From a distance, the gold is more like a subdued light brown. But when you look at it in bright sunlight, the gold sparkles and shimmers.

Like most of the F-C pens, the body of the pen is made from acrylic. All the 40 models so far are in black, with the variations being the colors of the bands. I like simple, ungaudy designs, which is why both the 20 and 40 appeal to me. I love the smooth, glossy black barrels of both the 20 and the 40.

The nib I choose was a Masuyama steel needlepoint. I've tried it on nice paper and $1 paper from the Dollar Store. It flows smoothly, although not as smoothly on the Dollar Store paper. On nice paper, it's a joy to write with. Here's a photo on the nice paper (F-C's own brand notepads and using plain old Parker Red ink):

post-126058-0-82003900-1448547324_thumb.jpg

post-126058-0-72440500-1448546016_thumb.jpg

I also have a Franklin-Christoph 20, which I love. Here's my review of the 20 if you're interested:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/299677-franklin-christoph-marietta-20-lovely-pen/

The 20 has no threads on the barrel because it has a slip-on cap. The 40 has a screw-on cap, and so has threads on the barrel, but they are not sharp and do not bother me. The words "Franklin-Christoph 40" are etched subtly into the cap, with the F-C logo on the finial (end of the cap - sorry if you knew this, but I did not know the lingo until looking on FPN). Here's a photo comparing the two with the 40 on the top:

post-126058-0-16767600-1448546030_thumb.jpg

I like the unusually long cap on the 40. It's just something different from the average shape and the color bands are a simple but effective way of adding something to the black without being too ostentatious. I've tried writing with and without posting the cap. I prefer posting the cap. The acrylic body means that the pen is not heavy and I can write without my hand becoming tired.

The total cost of the pen is around $225 depending on the nib. It's more expensive than the 20, but I'm told this is due to a more difficult manufacturing process relating to the bands.

I don't know which I love more, the 20 or the 40. They each have their different qualities and I'm fortunate that I don't have to choose :)

Here's a link to the F-C site:

http://www.franklin-christoph.com/view-all-fountain-pens.html

I'm not paid for this review. I just love my F-C pens. They have made me enjoy writing again (who'da thought?!) and I just wanted to give something back!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• latetotheparty

• DrDebG

• ibrahim

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great review! I also have an FC Panther, but my is a brown shimmer prototype. I have a Masuyama 14K medium stub semi-flex (I got the last one Jim had). I guess I should review it. It is my very favorite pen.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Great review! I also have an FC Panther, but my is a brown shimmer prototype. I have a Masuyama 14K medium stub semi-flex (I got the last one Jim had). I guess I should review it. It is my very favorite pen.

Thanks very much. Would love to see some photos. I don't own a gold nib, am waiting for a pen show to try them out. Look forward to the review!

• 5 years later...
On 11/26/2015 at 5:46 PM, DrDebG said:

I am eager to read your review of it. I read what you had say about it here as well:

"I am human, and I think nothing human is alien to me." Terence

I share the humanity of people, I’m like the rest of everybody and certainly I’m not better or higher than anybody in anything, regardless of what they believe in or don’t believe in. What they experience is certainly not alien to me. I’m part of all people and they are part of me, interbeing, that is.