Pif - White Tomoe River 5 Sheets

jodi_maloney

About three months ago in August, I rediscovered my want to restart my calligraphy practices (which weren't much). I am a student with a small job, which is enough for me to buy some pens and pen paraphernalia left and right, while also trying to save up for things like a Mac and possibly a car (which will probably never happen). I bought my first pen, the Pilot Plumix, and fell in love with fountain pens. It followed with two Jinhaos, a Kaweco Sport, a Pilot Metropolitan, and about three months, 5 bottles of ink and 13 pens in total later, I am absolutely a pen lover! I bought Rhodia DotPads and discovered the importance of paper to ink, and then discovered Tomoe River.

And so, to the PIF,

I recently discovered that I had a sample of unopened, brand new Tomoe River paper from JetPens. This paper is white and included are 5 sheets, size A5. I am giving the sample away because I recently got a lovely CRV from amberleadavis which came with some extra sheets paper, as well as bought myself some correspondence paper from paperforfountainpens(dot)com.

This PIF is for the CONUS. I would prefer this to go out to a Newbie who is brand new to fountain pens, college student/high school student who is on a budget and cannot afford paper, or a person who has never tried Tomoe River paper before..

I will draw using random.org TBA when this gets a decent amount of entries. Please state how you got into Fountain Pens, how long ago, why you would like to try Tomoe River etc and I will draw from those entries!

(PS - free shipping)

Edited by amberleadavis

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jodi_maloney

• amberleadavis

• Oldtimer

• AllenTBar

Hi Jodi,

I would love to enter.

I actually just joined this forum yesterday and Oldtimer^ suggested I take a look through this part of the forum.

I'm a college student and I touched a fountain pen for the first time a week ago. I have always been in awe of calligraphic work and figured it was high time to begin studying to both improve my penmanship and develop a skill that would give me another release from my studies - however temporary - to slow down and enjoy. I spent quite a few years doing fine woodworking and assembling a small shop I was very proud of in my garage - turning out mostly scrolling based pieces of fretwork, jewelry boxes, music boxes, and so on. I've always loved a hobby that is just one on one of oneself with the medium with which one is working. I find it very peaceful and I think that perhaps this hobby would fit my personality perfectly and be an excellent addition to a relatively high stress college environment. Unfortunately I haven't touched woodworking in several years - I live in New York City and Hurricane Sandy wiped out my entire workshop with all of my equipment and all of my projects as well as 80% of my finished works accumulated over the years. Its just too expensive and unreasonable for me now as a college student to try to rebuild the workshop and replace all of the equipment and tools - not to mention depressing. But nonetheless, I miss having a hobby like this and I really hope I will develop an affinity for FP work. I've been duly impressed by what I've seen here so far and would love to see some of your work.

I've read and learned an incredible amount about pens over this past week but I understand the more I learn, how little I know and how much there is to know. Not to mention, the entire science of paper which I have yet to even delve into. Its exciting.

I know I wax somewhat unpoetic but you did ask for a background :P :P

This is awfully nice of you to be offering and I'm sure anyone who you choose to send the paper to will enjoy it thoroughly.

A...

“Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith! Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge!”

“I know it's not thematically in tune with my new job and all, but I find it effective. Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day," I say. "But set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Tao of Pratchett. I live by it.”

Jodi, thanks for the shout out!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 5 weeks later...

I would like to enter as well! i'm a student and have been in to fountain pens since October, I discovered one at a local college and decided to buy it and look up what it was, and now i'm here immersed in fountain pen stuff!

Edited by amberleadavis
Removed content

Allen and Donovan, you two are both in! I would like to wait out for more entries, since I would like to get as many new people involved with FPN and PIFs which is why I haven't responded. Thank you both for entering!

• 4 weeks later...

I would like join this PIF. I am a PhD student in Washington state who got into fountain pens about a year ago to combat wrist pains from typing on a computer and an iPhone.

Daniel

The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned.

Gramsci

I will pick at 5 entries. I will number the entries the way the order they are put on this page and will pick by using random.org.

I'd like to join! I'm a high school student, and just recently (like only a month ago) got into fountain pens. Someone who is already deep into fountain pens showed me his handwriting using a fountain pen and I was curious. So I bought a Pilot Penmanship as a first pen and I fell in love with the smoothness, the aesthetics, and continuous flow (and the extra fine).

I haven't really tried paper yet, just a brazil-made paper from staples and HP 24lb laser jet. Other than that, I haven't really tried any other fountain pen-friendly paper.

Thanks for the pif!

• 2 weeks later...

Allen you're #1

Donovan #2

Dfo #3

Sooovasion #4

alwaysmetara #5

I'll give it until Sunday to see if anyone else wants to enter. Good luck to all of you!

Edited by jodi_maloney