Noodler's Inkyman Sapphire.

dcwaites

Some little time ago, FPN member extraodinaire Amberleadavis mixed some Noodler's Navajo Turquoise with some Noodler's La Couleur Royale in a converter, and serendipitously it was a good replicant of the fabled Parker Penman Sapphire. Amber thought the ratio was about 1:1.

So, people tried to nail down her mix to an exact ratio.

However it was complicated by the fact that there are at least three different batches of LCR out there -- the original Purply batch, a Blue batch with red/purple overtones, and at least a few bottles of mislabelled Noodler's Blue.

So, I ordered a bottle of LCR from the fanatically nice people at Goulet Pens, asking them to make sure that my bottle was in the Purply range.

It arrived, in one of Nathan's new round plastic bottles, so I knew it was from the latest batch, and it was Purply.

Ok, so having a brand new bottle of La Couleur Royale from a batch of the appropriately Royal Purple, I decided to nail down a mix for Amber's Noodler's Inkyman Sapphire.

If you have a bottle of the Royal Purple LCR, then the mix is 2 parts of Noodler's Navajo Turquoise and 1 part of Royal Purple La Couleur Royale, as below

fpn_1448165442__noodlers_inkyman_sapphir

Note, if you have a bottle of the slightly bluey purple LCR, then the ratio will be different, probably closer to 1:1, rather than 2:1, but it will be for others, who have a bottle of that batch, to confirm.

For those of you who, like myself and and FPNer Tas, have a bottle of LCR which really seems to be a mislabelled bottle of Noodler's Blue, no mixing of NB and NNT will turn it into NIS. Just enjoy the bottle of Noodler's Blue, because it is a really nice ink in it's own right.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcwaites

• amberleadavis

• Fabienne

• OCArt

Looks good.... Does it behave? .. and I know is silly to ask, but does it sheen?

Can you provide a a little more of a writing sample of both side by side (or on top of each other).

Thanks,

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Looks good.... Does it behave? .. and I know is silly to ask, but does it sheen?

Can you provide a a little more of a writing sample of both side by side (or on top of each other).

Thanks,

C.

I am working up an evaluation sheet that will cover more properties, like you request. However, in the meantime, --

it seems to behave well in comparison to PPS as regards feathering, spreading and bleeding, and sheen, if it is there, is much less than PPS.

The LCR component is much more resistant to washing off the fingers than PPS.

Granny Aching

• 3 weeks later...

You are awesome dcwaites! And a shout out to Amberleadavis for the original mix. I think I may just have to get a sample of each of these colors from Goulet the next time I order from them.

I was gifted with a bottle of LCR a while back by FPN member Fabienne. And I can attest to the fact that not even Ink Nix seems to do the trick. :wallbash:

Fortunately, it's a nice color (I also have one of the purply batches). Unfortunately, it appears that the pen it's in (a Noodler's FPC) may need to have the washer replaced -- or at least be treated with a bit of silicone grease the next time it gets flushed out, because it seems to be leaking from where the piston cap meets the barrel.... :angry:

Have not gotten to the point of trying to mix LCR with Navajo Turquoise yet.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Having worked with large format inkjet printer inks, I found that there is sometimes an inverse relationship between permanence on paper and permanence on skin.

I also rate inks on the number of shampoo washes it takes to remove the ink. Waterman Florida Blue, Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue, Sheaffer Skrip Blue, Noodler's Black are all one-shampoo inks. Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng tends to be a four-shampoo ink. Noodler's Blue and most of the bulletproof/wardens inks tend to be two-shampoo inks. Anything with purple is generally a three-shampoo ink.

PS Some of you may have noticed the resemblance to a Holmesian two- or three- pipe puzzle.

PPS Whether the shampoo is on your head, or someone else's is up to you.

Granny Aching

Having worked with large format inkjet printer inks, I found that there is sometimes an inverse relationship between permanence on paper and permanence on skin.

I also rate inks on the number of shampoo washes it takes to remove the ink. Waterman Florida Blue, Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue, Sheaffer Skrip Blue, Noodler's Black are all one-shampoo inks. Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng tends to be a four-shampoo ink. Noodler's Blue and most of the bulletproof/wardens inks tend to be two-shampoo inks. Anything with purple is generally a three-shampoo ink.

PS Some of you may have noticed the resemblance to a Holmesian two- or three- pipe puzzle.

PPS Whether the shampoo is on your head, or someone else's is up to you.

OK, but why do you have ink in your hair? Or in someone else's?

OK, but why do you have ink in your hair? Or in someone else's?

The ink is on the hands.

The shampoo is in the hair.

The agitation of the shampoo in the hair rubs the very hard hair strands, with shampoo, against the skin on the hands, removing some small amount of ink with each pass.

The number of standard three-minute shampoos is then the resistance rating of the ink.

This technique does not work with shaved or otherwise hairless heads.

Granny Aching

I am working up an evaluation sheet that will cover more properties, like you request. However, in the meantime, --

it seems to behave well in comparison to PPS as regards feathering, spreading and bleeding, and sheen, if it is there, is much less than PPS.

So, here is my new Ink Blend Evaluation Form filled out for NIS

fpn_1449885395__noodlersinkymansapphire.

Amber, I have the form in both A4 and US Letter formats as PDF files. How do I get them posted so they are visible to all?

Granny Aching

David you are a genius! This is amazing, thank you!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I assume you are talking about the form?? I already have had some comments where I posted the forms for download, here.

Form Mk II will be developed and posted.

And I need a volunteer to take the A4 original and adjust it properly for US Letter, not just squish it to fit, like I did.

Granny Aching

The form is great. The mix is even better.

Tas did find that he could use the blue LCR to get NIS. Here is his recipe:

OK. Much mess and not a little frustration.

I've gone from 1:4 mix as recommended :huh: to what I see as the correct mix of 2:1 :wacko:

Thank you. Your mix is easier and more economical to make.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_ambers_pps_mix_session_2.jpg

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_ambers_pps_mix_sheet.jpg

[ If Pure Pens here in the UK don't have the Noodler's inks you want then place an order with confidence from these guys - pensavings" Clicked to buy mine on ebay on 17th August and here I am across the Atlantic playing with them, today 22nd August. Incredible service, highly recommend them all. ]

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_noodlers_la_coulour_royale_swatch.jpghttp://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_noodlers_navajo_turquiose_swatch.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 4 months later...

And here is another mixer:

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/05-May/slides/2016-05-07_01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is fast becoming my favorite blue ink and boy do I have a lot of them!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I am glad you are having fun.

OOO, jut got several samples of Le Colour Royale from Goulet (I had it, I gave it away...oh, well, it's all for a good cause). I wanted to try again, and I will. Too much of a sucker for that kind of blue. I have a nice bottle of Navajo Turquoise (one of my favorites) so I am ready.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

OOO, jut got several samples of Le Colour Royale from Goulet (I had it, I gave it away...oh, well, it's all for a good cause). I wanted to try again, and I will. Too much of a sucker for that kind of blue. I have a nice bottle of Navajo Turquoise (one of my favorites) so I am ready.

Best of luck with your mix :)

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Along with FPS #9, I now always have a vial of NIS on my desk.

Comparing with PPS on Tomoe River paper, using a medium-fine nibbed pen, you can't tell which is which. All three have the same colour, shading and sheening.

Of course, on other papers you will get different results.

fpn_1450068317__pps4-tr.jpg

I did this one some time ago.

Edited by dcwaites

Granny Aching

• 1 year later...

DC, you do show us some great stuff! Thank you.