Fountain Pen Review: Kaweco Brass Sport

Chrissy

Kaweco Brass Sport FP Review

History (reproduced from Kaweco)
Kaweco - In 1883 the manufacturer of high-quality writing insturments was founded in Heidelberg Germany. Kaweco has been producing a wide range of fine writing pens and has been setting a great value on classy design and high standard manufacturing.
The first Kaweco Sport was founded in 1912 as a pocket fountain pen for ladies, officers and sportsmen. In 1930 the brands and models of Kaweco and Aurumia fused and the Ka We Co three part circle emerged. This circle is still used today on nearly all of it’s pens.
Even Sepp Herberger already appreciated these characteristics. It was with a Kaweco Sport that the former coach of the German national soccer team wrote on a piece of paper his winning tactics which brought the Germans to the world cup in 1954.
In 1993 H & M Gutberlet GmbH made it’s first prototypes for a relaunch of the Kaweco Sport under the name Trekking, but gained and registered the rights to rename as Kaweco in 1994.
The Kaweco Sport was newly produced as a cartridge holder in 1995, but the design remained the same as the 1935 model.
In 2000 the first Limited Sport edition was produced in green celluloid, and the AL Sport as well as the Art Sport were launched in 2003.
Kaweco's product range is perfectly described by the keywords "tradition" and "innovation"
The Pen
fpn_1448042136__20151029_0023a.jpgfpn_1448042165__20151029_0026a.jpgfpn_1448042182__20151029_0027a.jpgfpn_1448042194__20151029_0030a.jpgfpn_1448042208__20151029_0031a.jpgfpn_1448042221__20151029_0033a.jpgfpn_1448042248__20151119_0001a.jpgfpn_1448042259__20151119_0003a.jpgfpn_1448042271__20151119_0006a.jpg
Measurements: Closed; 108mm, Posted; 129mm, Nib; 17mm. Weight inc cartridge; 44grams.
I liked this pen as soon as I first saw it. It feels so substantial in my hand, and is by far the heaviest of the Sport pens that I have tried out so far. In fact it weighs double the weight of the Stonewashed Sport or the AC Sport. The trademark octagonal cap and the round barrel are both solid brass. I have written with this pen a few times now, but haven't noticed any darkening of the brass from how it was when I first received it.
My only disappointment was to see that it came with a polished steel nib as standard. I would have matched it with the Classic Sport GP nib, for a closer colour match.
However, I asked Kaweco if I could try it with the optional 14t gold nib, and this made it look so much better.
Nibs are interchangeable with metal Sport pens, they just screw out. Assuming you are holding the pen in your right hand, hold the nib top and bottom (not sides) and it unscrews out of the section in a clockwise direction using your left hand.
This pen comes with nib options EF, F, M, B and BB.
I am advised by Kaweco that threaded calligraphy nibs are also available to purchase separately as are Classic Sport GP options, 14ct gold options plus black options.
The Filling system
As I’m reviewing some Kaweco pens and inks, I selected a Summer Purple cartridge for the Brass Sport FP. The cartridges are International Short cartridge size.
If you’re looking for a pen with a sophisticated piston filling system, or even a classic type of twist converter, then you might be disappointed with this pocket-sized pen. There is only room for one International short cartridge due to it’s miniature size. However, I don’t find this a problem at all.
The Writing Test
fpn_1448042562__kaweco_summer_purple_rdp
After I inked up the pen with the Summer Purple cartridge, it wrote straight away. It was so lovely to write with, not at all tiring, and I didn’t find the grip at all slippery. I found the gold F nib a slightly softer writing feel, like I am used to with most of my pens. Granted this pen feels much heavier than the AL Sport pens and the plastic Sport pens when you're writing, but my hand didn't get tired while writing with it. For flex lovers, there is no flex with either nib though. I'm reviewing the Summer Purple ink separately, so I won't say too much about it here, but suffice it to say I really enjoyed the pen and ink combination. I considered that I might have to try this pen with my Pelikan Edelstein Amber ink for a good colour match as Kaweco don't make an amber or gold ink. :)
Overall Opinion
Kaweco Sport pens have a really good screw cap that prevents their cartridges from drying out, and I have always liked that in this type of pen. I also love the fact that the AL & Brass Sport pens come in the Kaweco super metal gift tin that easily takes two pens plus a couple of spare cartridges.
If you want a clip or a converter they are available separately, but I find it as easy to refill cartridges from bottled ink with a syringe, as using the tiny squeeze type of converter that is made to fit this pen. Kaweco sell their inks in 30ml bottles or packs of 6 cartridges.
All in all, I really like this pen and I would recommend it. The RRP of this pen in the UK is £66 but you can find it at lower prices. The gold nib makes it a more expensive purchase, at an extra £99 or less, but it's worth the extra.
Kaweco loaned me this pen and nib to review, and I really appreciate that. Thank you Kaweco.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• Amberjack

• Barkingpig

• ROsk

A very nice review Chrissy. I am a fan of the Kaweco Sport pens and have considered this brass version particularly. My Sports have always written well - smooth and slightly wet. Never a hard start even after sitting in my briefcase for a week unused.

I like the Kaweco inks as well, having tried the black, brown and midnight blue.

Ill look for your review of Summer Purple and thanks for the review of 5he Brass Sport!

Jack

A very nice review Chrissy. I am a fan of the Kaweco Sport pens and have considered this brass version particularly. My Sports have always written well - smooth and slightly wet. Never a hard start even after sitting in my briefcase for a week unused.

I like the Kaweco inks as well, having tried the black, brown and midnight blue.

Ill look for your review of Summer Purple and thanks for the review of 5he Brass Sport!

Jack

Thank you Jack, you're welcome. :)

• 1 month later...

If only it was a piston-filler it would be perfect, but, oh, I want one of these! (She looks sadly at the lone dollar in her pocket.)​

Thank you for the review, Chrissy. The Brass Sport remains at the top of my wish list.

​Holly

The brass attains a wonderful patina after a week or two in the pocket. I don't worry about it rubbing against my keys in my jeans pocket. Indestructible. You're right about its fine writing qualities.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the good review - I like the pen design very much and brass is such a nice material. Although i'm unsure how much the Sport contributed to the Miracle of Bern in 1954... Possibly less than the injury of F Puskas.

Back to the pen and for its users. Does the brass become slippery during longer writing sessions?

Me want.

AND you SHOULD HAVE! ...................I added it after enjoying the Al Sport in "raw" finish.

• 3 weeks later...

I have one. It feels great to hold and in the hand. The nib color doesn't really bother me.

The problem with this pen is that it will spoil you for the other Sport models.