When To Replace Sacs & Who To Do It For Me In Sf Bay Area?

indigirl

I can't believe this isn't a pinned topic somewhere, but I didn't see it, so...

Several years ago I was bitten by the vintage fountain pen bug & acquired some (ahem) pens, mostly lever fillers. Now that it's been a while I am wondering about sac replacement.

The "dumb" question (even though I know there are no dumb questions): how do I know when a pen needs a new sac? I have one pen that seems obviously in need, since it no longer holds ink. Others hold ink but I can hear slightly creaky or crackly sounds when I depress the lever. I'm guessing this means the sacs are showing signs of age but are still intact?

The other question: ideally I'd love to gather up a few pens at a time & take them in-person to someone local, reliable, & reasonably priced for re-saccing. Any recommendations? I'm in Berkeley, so East Bay or San Francisco would be my first choice, Marin my 2nd choice. If necessary I'd schlep to the peninsula or wine country, but by then maybe it would make just as much sense to mail them to whomever offers best combo of expertise & price anywhere in the country.

I have zero interest in doing it myself, in case that wasn't already obvious :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• oraxia

• Jerome Tarshis

• indigirl

PM me. You live in a well supported area.

FarmBoy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• 2 years later...

So I realize this is an old thread, but I have much the same issue as the original poster and would prefer not to create a whole new thread--I have my great grandfather's fountain pen, which I believe to be a Wahl Eversharp Coronet, which I am certain needs a new sac, but I am not sure what else it may need to be restored... And I live in the SF Bay Area and can't afford to travel too far until my husband's broken ankle heals up.

My aunt found it behind some furniture in my late grandparents' house and gave it to me as a wedding present, so it's not seen action in quite some time. It's a sentimental piece, and is my first and currently only fountain pen (I made this account just to get help restoring it), so I'm nervous about who to trust with the repairs given my lack of knowledge on fountain pens. (Plus I saw a couple of reviews on Yelp when I tried to search there about a pen repair guy stealing pens, so I guess I'm extra paranoid now.) I'd really like to take it to a physical location near me (mainly because I like seeing the innards of things and how they work, and may in the future be interested in learning to do repairs myself) rather than mailing it off to a faraway repair person.

Is there a shop somewhere in the Bay Area that I can safely take my pen to?

Nevermind me! I'm just an inkling, a mere pigment of your imagination...

Look for a posting in the events section for Pen Posse something. There is a rather active group that meets in Millbrae at Peter's Cafe, usually on Sunday and usually several times a month.

There is at least one person that frequents there that can fix pens. I've seen him there more than once.

Farmboy.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I've seen him there more than twice. Whoever he is. But then again, we may not wish to get started down the road of humor. We are after all talking about pens, which are a serious subject.

On a serious note: I've had more than one pen looked after at a Pen Posse lunch. With satisfactory results.

Look for a posting in the events section for Pen Posse something. There is a rather active group that meets in Millbrae at Peter's Cafe, usually on Sunday and usually several times a month.

There is at least one person that frequents there that can fix pens. I've seen him there more than once.

Farmboy.

So I'm guessing people gather mostly to talk about and/or admire pens? Do people bring their pens often? I'm curious how I would find the group (not sure how obvious a pen group would be, as they are not large and easily spotted objects). Do I just walk into the cafe and start waving around a fountain pen and see who approaches me? :lticaptd: Also, is there a general time, or would the times need to be individually announced?

Nevermind me! I'm just an inkling, a mere pigment of your imagination...

The group is usually in the big room in the back. Usually at 1.00 pm

And that Farmboy character does nice work, and has been known to fix a bent nib for the price of Scooby snacks.

Not sure if there's a meeting this weekend. I've just had lots of periodontal surgery so I can't make it.

Edited by Shaggy