Asa Nauka: Review Of A Classic

Sagarb

Yes, in fact that 10mm area has been provided expressly for the purpose of gripping the section, while the cap is being unscrewed. So hold the pen in that area while you uncap.

Best,

Hari

So one has to remember (or rather make a habit of holding the barrel (I say barrel as section-barrel joining line is invisible) just below the cap lip. No other pen brand imposes tat rule on you. Any way 10mm is too small. Should have been more (but perhaps limit on overall length does not allow that. I think the freedom to choose the extra section length was limited).

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sagarb

• subbucal

• Dupontdelamare

• hari317

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did not appreciate 2 features of Nauka:

1. Cap fits on section thread. If cap is tightened too much, while uncapping the cap+section together will unscrew from the barrel. Now to extract the section from cap there is only 10 mm of visible section length available for gripping the section. That is too short and when you hold the section between fingers and turn cap, the section will also turn because of very low friction force (specially for glossy finish, very few will buy the matte finish). You don't expect a user to be able to grip the section like a vise.

2. The clip is push-fit into a slit at the cap's top part. There may be chance of clip coming off. Re-fixing clip with a bit of epoxy is not a good idea if future replacement becomes necessary. A clip-ring all around the cap would have been a better idea.

Thank you for your observations, in case you want a custom pen with a longer section please let me know, it can be made as a custom pen (however in case of ED it may reduce, the ink capacity considerably)

But can make a custom pen as per your specific design.

Rgds

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to all of the design team for creating something both useful and beautiful. Thank you Mr. S for turning the design into reality and making it available to ordinary folk such as myself :) I am most fortunate to have a Nauka of my very own, complete with my name engraved.

I never noticed in the mail I got from ASA Pens that name engraving is offered. Was it there or was it your own idea to ask for your name to be engraved. I wish my Nauka also came with my name engraved.

I think it was offered as an option in the group buy. I know that's where I opted for it.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Dear All,

Greetings!

I have been getting lots of requests for Nauka pen, unfortunately could not undertake. I was unable to produce these as we faced lot of issues due to floods here in Chennai-India.

As things are normal and we are starting production of next lot of Nauka pens.

The Nauka is now available for purchase, at the same group buy price till 31st January'2016.

One can look and buy it here :-

Link to View and Purchase Nauka

All orders placed between 14th January till 31st January, will be shipped between 1st of March'2016 to 7th of March'2016, on a first in, first out basis.

Any clarifications required, please email me at unik.services@hotmail.com

Best regards

Subramaniam

Thanks for doing this again. Glad to hear things are returning to normal. I will order the following Nauka on your website later this month.

Rod #4 bluish black polished, jowo 1.1 two-tone, clipless.

Edited by T4TEXAS

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

• 6 months later...

Just received my order and I must say I am impressed. The ebonite is excellent and the work is better than good. The design works and the pen is very comfortable. Nothing lazy here: the section is going thinner, a little bit like in the Lamy 2k, and that makes a huge difference for the hand.

My previous experience with Indian pens was not quite satisfactory. They work of course, but attention to design and details was missing. This is not the case here! It's not a Danitrio or a Edison, granted, but the work is and the pen is very well executed. Well done, Mr Subramaniam and team!

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

• 6 months later...

I received one of these pens, actually I bought two......In the Clear body and when I received them, the one had a BAD CAP. I have been going back and forth with Subramaniam who always says the new part ins coming in the mail, but I never receive it. This has gone on for about 6 months, I'm guessing? Back in December 2016 he said they were to send a whole pen body to me to compensate for all the problems. You guessed it. It's 1/25/2017, and I still don't have it nor do I have any correspondance! So this morning at 6:00am MST I sent ANOTHER letter to them......THey have nice products, but if you run into an issue, your sunk with this company!

Sorry for your experience... I will check and expedite this earliest, if not already shipped... You will not be disappointed.. I have replied to your email, which I received in India a while back.

I just ordered a Nauka in light brown and black with a JoWo nib. I'm looking forward to having my first ASA pen and don't mind waiting.

Just received my order and I must say I am impressed. The ebonite is excellent and the work is better than good. The design works and the pen is very comfortable. Nothing lazy here: the section is going thinner, a little bit like in the Lamy 2k, and that makes a huge difference for the hand.

My previous experience with Indian pens was not quite satisfactory. They work of course, but attention to design and details was missing. This is not the case here! It's not a Danitrio or a Edison, granted, but the work is and the pen is very well executed. Well done, Mr Subramaniam and team!

Thanks a lot sir

I just ordered a Nauka in light brown and black with a JoWo nib. I'm looking forward to having my first ASA pen and don't mind waiting.

Thanks very much sir

I received one of these pens, actually I bought two......In the Clear body and when I received them, the one had a BAD CAP. I have been going back and forth with Subramaniam who always says the new part ins coming in the mail, but I never receive it. This has gone on for about 6 months, I'm guessing? Back in December 2016 he said they were to send a whole pen body to me to compensate for all the problems. You guessed it. It's 1/25/2017, and I still don't have it nor do I have any correspondance! So this morning at 6:00am MST I sent ANOTHER letter to them......THey have nice products, but if you run into an issue, your sunk with this company!

Thank you for ordering another pen ASA Maya from me..

• 1 year later...

I am very grateful, Sargarb, for your review; the elegance of your pen set off beautifully by your paper boats encouraged me to order the same black Asa Nauka bakul pen, although with Jowo 1.1 nib. This was partly because of your experience with the stock nib, but also because the 1.1 nib allows me to better approach the lettering style used in baroque lute tablature. To complement your paper boats and the Nauka boat evocation, I thought of photographing my pen balancing on the leaf of one of my water lilies (see my alias) but thought better of it. The balance of the pen, the 1.1 nib and Sailor jentle Rikyu-Cha ink have brought improvement to the legibility of my tablature. Now I would very much like to buy another Asa pen, but find all the means I used to contact Asa (only three months ago) now fail, and the web page no longer functions. I would very much regret to hear that something has happened to prevent Asa from continuing; I hope it is just that Mr Subramaniam is very busy?RegardsDupontdelamare

Dupont,

Sagar was the first FPN contributor to write a Nauka review, and he inspired many others to follow, including me. Subbu often responds to private messages on FPN. Because as a new FPN member you may not have full message capability, I will ping him and point out your query. Good luck and thank you for joining FPN. By the way, what is baroque lute tablature? It sounds as though a music nib might help. My ASA Halwa Pen has a Franklin-Christoph music nib, and a review is viewable in the link in my signature.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

I am very grateful, Sargarb, for your review; the elegance of your pen set off beautifully by your paper boats encouraged me to order the same black Asa Nauka bakul pen, although with Jowo 1.1 nib. This was partly because of your experience with the stock nib, but also because the 1.1 nib allows me to better approach the lettering style used in baroque lute tablature. To complement your paper boats and the Nauka boat evocation, I thought of photographing my pen balancing on the leaf of one of my water lilies (see my alias) but thought better of it. The balance of the pen, the 1.1 nib and Sailor jentle Rikyu-Cha ink have brought improvement to the legibility of my tablature. Now I would very much like to buy another Asa pen, but find all the means I used to contact Asa (only three months ago) now fail, and the web page no longer functions. I would very much regret to hear that something has happened to prevent Asa from continuing; I hope it is just that Mr Subramaniam is very busy?RegardsDupontdelamare

Thanks a lot Bob for tagging me here.

Hi Sir,

Greetings!

My webpage is same. Its http://www.asapens.in/eshop/

Please access it with above URL.

Also, is there a specific pen you wish, do let me know here. I will help you.

Are you looking at buying another Nauka?

Here is the listing URL to Nauka

http://asapens.in/eshop/index.php?route=product/search&search=nauka

All my standard versions of Nauka ( Ebonite, Trans Nauka, Aqua Nauka and Tangerne Nauka)

Hope this is helpful.

You may reach me at unik.services@hotmail.com and also Whatsapp or Telegram to my no +919176607660

Rgds

Subbey

Thank you Bobje, I have read a number of your very interesting posts. I would indeed be grateful if you can ping him. I dont know why I dont seem to be even able to open the ASA web link. Am I the only one who has this problem?

Lute tablature was the traditional way of representing lute music indicating with the use of letters the exact fret position where a particular course must be stopped and sometimes with numbers which finger should be used to pluck the course, rather than the note which can be produced at different positions but with tonal difference. Some 18th century manuscripts are very beautiful. It is now usual (as I do) to use baroque style fonts when copying these.

Your ASA Halwa Pen with Franklin-Christoph music nib is indeed superb. It seems to be a very special edition though?

Thank you again for you help,

Regards

Dupontdelamare

Thanks a lot Bob for tagging me here.

Hi Sir,

Greetings!

My webpage is same. Its http://www.asapens.in/eshop/

Please access it with above URL.

Also, is there a specific pen you wish, do let me know here. I will help you.

Are you looking at buying another Nauka?

Here is the listing URL to Nauka

http://asapens.in/eshop/index.php?route=product/search&search=nauka

All my standard versions of Nauka ( Ebonite, Trans Nauka, Aqua Nauka and Tangerne Nauka)

Hope this is helpful.

You may reach me at unik.services@hotmail.com and also Whatsapp or Telegram to my no +919176607660

Rgds

Subbey

Thank you very much for contacting me here. Indeed I would like to buy another of your pens.

I dont seem to be able to open your web page however, allowing me to see your pens. Perhaps the best thing would be for me to study the pens shown by owners on FPN web pages, and then I can ask you by mail or directly here if the pen is available.

Regards

Dupontdelamare

Edited by Dupontdelamare