Asa Nauka: Review Of A Classic

Sagarb

post-120844-0-10167400-1448001988_thumb.jpg

Nauka

In the past I missed few group buys organized in FPN. Later I regretted about that and blamed myself for overlooking. This time I was so fortunate that I didn’t miss it and ordered a Nauka in a group buy organized by FPNr Jilax 10.

There has always been an attraction in the naming of any ASA product, this time its regional smell appealed to me a lot. In our bengali language Nauka means boat( and in hindi as well).The name might be given based on its pointed end and curved body, like a boat looks from aerial view.

post-120844-0-21928200-1448002101_thumb.jpg

capped and posted

Two days back when I was trying to track down the status of the shipment (Nauka), no update was found in India Post site. I called Mr.Subramaniam up and asked about it. He told me that no update is there possibly because of Chennai flood and shared some pictures of flooded areas in Chennai. Suddenly I remembered my childhood days during monsoon. Since we lived in a low lying area, it got waterlogged after few hours of heavy rainfall. It barred me from playing outside and I used to make paper- boats and let them float on the water. In the same afternoon, I received my “Nauka”and Chennai flood, waterlogging, paperboats..everything jumbled up my mind and a new idea of photography flashed up for the review…

post-120844-0-25705400-1448002933_thumb.jpg

with bouncing light

So here is the Nauka..

Appearance and design:(9/10)

post-120844-0-90164800-1448002005_thumb.jpg

Nauka, a full bodied ebonite handmade pen is really attractive by its classy look. The design is basically inspired by Oldwin fountain pen (a French company as far as I am concerned). Its pointy design in both end (though the cap end is less pointed than the barrel) and swollen body reminds me of a torpedo shaped cigar rather than the boat. The most elegant part of the pen is when it is uncapped.

post-120844-0-66145800-1448002114_thumb.jpg

uncapped

Wow!! No threads are there in the barrel to screw the cap; they are next to the nib where the section starts. That makes the body seamless and it’s done so nicely that the joining line between the section and the barrel is almost invisible.

post-120844-0-37678700-1448005262_thumb.jpg

post-120844-0-67651100-1448003312_thumb.jpg

seamless body

Mr Subramaniam insisted me to take the Bakul which is brushed black (matte finished) and it looks really classy. It is available in various attractive colors though.

I have decided to take it with the clip (Option available for Clip less as well) and it is chrome finished ball end designed.The push in type clip is finely inserted into the cap and it’s very sturdy.

post-120844-0-56108900-1448002136_thumb.jpg

clip

" Asa Nauka" is finely engraved just above the cap ending.

post-120844-0-19121100-1448003934_thumb.jpg

scratches and engraving

There is a scratch mark beside the engraving (maybe it is natural marks of the ebonite rod) somehow harms its beauty a bit.

Nauka is a beautifully crafted pen and can certainly win many fountain pen lover’s heart by its mesmerizing design and handsome appearance.

Construction and built: (10/10)

Since it’s an ebonite pen, it is built to last for life time. The design of the section to cap threading helps to uncap the pen easily.

post-120844-0-37991400-1448004100_thumb.jpg

section to cap threading

The cap opens up only in three turns. The section to barrel threading is very deeply cut and no chance of ink leakage is there.

post-120844-0-69936200-1448004116_thumb.jpg

section to barrel threading

Section to barrel threading would be 10mm below the cap lip when closed. This has been designed to hold the barrel within that part and uncap.

post-120844-0-47976300-1448004366_thumb.jpg

Weight and Dimensions: (10/10)

Though it’s a big pen, it is very lightweight, only 22 gm. (don’t go on its size) and very well balanced to write with. I don't usually post my pens, but writing with it posted, doesn’t make any difference to me, the comfort remains intact. Posted or unposted, I realized that Nauka will be my true mate in a long, tireless writing.

Dimensions are like this:

post-120844-0-49296700-1448004430_thumb.jpg

dimensions

post-120844-0-08322900-1448004488_thumb.jpg

size comparisons

Nib & Performance:(7/10)

post-120844-0-39203300-1448002153_thumb.jpg

stock nib

For my limited budget, I went for an eyedropper with the stock nib (Ambitious 35 mm #6) and here I made the mistake. This beautiful pen should have been fitted at least with Schmidt nib unit. My stock nib writes very wet because of the gap between two tines.

post-120844-0-45301700-1448012922_thumb.jpg

May be a heat set will fix this problem but otherwise it writes smooth. Insertion of the nib and feed (ebonite)is very tight and need a knock out block to pull them out.

post-120844-0-58954000-1448005597_thumb.jpg

feed

Writing samples are given below.

post-120844-0-37672200-1448004733_thumb.jpg

writing sample

Filling System & Mechanism:(10/10)

post-120844-0-58551800-1448004812_thumb.jpg

As an eye dropper it holds approx. 3 ml of ink up to the level where the treads end, though the barrel looks small Writing samples are given below.

The pen is available in three versions:-

• As an Eyedropper with stock Chrome nib of Indian standard F width.

• 3 in 1 filling system where it can be used as an Eyedropper, Converter fill or with standard international converter with German made Jowo nib 1.1, F,M,or B nib widths and Two Tone finish.

• 3 in 1 filling with German made Schmidt F,M,or B nib widths in Chrome Finish.

Conclusion:

“Nauka” is really a classy pen. Its aesthetic beauty is immense. I am very happy with its overall performance so far.In every aspect it is a great pen indeed in this price cost.

post-120844-0-34559000-1448004889_thumb.jpg

Edited by RMN

Sagar Bhowmick

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sagarb

• subbucal

• Dupontdelamare

• hari317

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wonderful review. I love your little paperboats and the reflections in the photos! A gorgeous writing sample, too.

Now I just have to wait for my shiny black Nauka to arrive. ..

Thanks very much..may your Nauka come soon.. :)

Sagar Bhowmick

Sagar,

Congratulations on having received your Nauka. Its a beautiful pen but your photography make is even more attractive. I love the way you have complemented the ebonite boat with little colourful paper boats and created an illusion of them being on water. Amazingly nice pictures.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

Sagar,

Congratulations on having received your Nauka. Its a beautiful pen but your photography make is even more attractive. I love the way you have complemented the ebonite boat with little colourful paper boats and created an illusion of them being on water. Amazingly nice pictures.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Thanks Prithwi, thanks very much..

Sagar Bhowmick

Thank you for the comprehensive and thorough review that explains the very special design features of this pen.

It makes me very impatient to receive mine! And I hope my having it fit with an Ambitious nib will not turn out to be a mistake, because in several of my other Indian ebonites I prefer the Ambitious above even the Schmidts...

As do the others who commented, I love the overall look of your pictures, with the paper boats and beautiful reflections in your shiny surface, suggesting a calm lake or sea with your boat on top... May it fulfill your every expectation.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Thank you for the comprehensive and thorough review that explains the very special design features of this pen.

It makes me very impatient to receive mine! And I hope my having it fit with an Ambitious nib will not turn out to be a mistake, because in several of my other Indian ebonites I prefer the Ambitious above even the Schmidts...

As do the others who commented, I love the overall look of your pictures, with the paper boats and beautiful reflections in your shiny surface, suggesting a calm lake or sea with your boat on top... May it fulfill your every expectation.

Thank you very much..yes, I wanted to catch the glimpse of that environment..actually my previous experience with Ambitious nib was not quite happy.. any way, thanks once again for your charming complements..hope your Nauka will be arrived soon.

Sagar Bhowmick

Fantastic pictures and a thorough review. I got the shiny brown version and it is a very delicious chocolate brown with a JoWo nib unit.

I am yet to ink it, but I have dip-tested it and found it to be an excellent writer.

If I had to nitpick, I would call it a bit light, but on my rating scale, it scores a remarkable 87 out of 100.

The joint highest is 92/100 scored by the ASA Popsicle and a custom pen by Fosfor pens.

Compare this to a Montblanc 149 (76) and a Visconti Opera Crystal (73) and you will know how valued this pen is from my perspective.

Thanks again for sharing. Here's my pen with its other friends.

Azaadi-Nauka-Pocket%252520Watch.jpeg

Cheers

Sudhir

Fountain pen geek, bibliophile, aspiring audiophile.

Love Single Malt, Coffee, Beer.

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

Follow me on Instagram @thepenperson

Follow me on Twitter @thepenperson

Fantastic pictures and a thorough review. I got the shiny brown version and it is a very delicious chocolate brown with a JoWo nib unit.

I am yet to ink it, but I have dip-tested it and found it to be an excellent writer.

If I had to nitpick, I would call it a bit light, but on my rating scale, it scores a remarkable 87 out of 100.

The joint highest is 92/100 scored by the ASA Popsicle and a custom pen by Fosfor pens.

Compare this to a Montblanc 149 (76) and a Visconti Opera Crystal (73) and you will know how valued this pen is from my perspective.

Thanks again for sharing. Here's my pen with its other friends.

Azaadi-Nauka-Pocket%252520Watch.jpeg

Cheers

Sudhir

can you believe I was supposed to take that brown first!!.Thanks for sharing the picture, Sudhir..And what a wonderful watch and your name in brass..Thanks very much..

Sagar Bhowmick

Firstly very Jealous that you have your pen delivered before me :yikes:

Now I am desperate to get hold of my ASA Nauka too. The measurements showcased, the pictures, the color paper boats, the pen the picture quality, the angles the review top notch, enjoyed every bit of it. Amazing, congrats on everything. wishing you a lot and loads of words and memories penned down with this beauty.

:) :D C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S :rolleyes: :lol:

Impressive review. You must have put a lot of time and effort into those pictures. Well done.

Thanks very much...Yes..it was not effortless but I enjoyed it..

Sagar Bhowmick

Firstly very Jealous that you have your pen delivered before me :yikes:

Now I am desperate to get hold of my ASA Nauka too. The measurements showcased, the pictures, the color paper boats, the pen the picture quality, the angles the review top notch, enjoyed every bit of it. Amazing, congrats on everything. wishing you a lot and loads of words and memories penned down with this beauty.

:) :D C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S :rolleyes: :lol:

Sanjay... :) Thank you for huge complements..thank you so much..and please show your pen when received..let's hope it will arrive soon..

Sagar Bhowmick

A great review that does this pen justice.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

A great review that does this pen justice.

Thanks Jilax..thanks for started the group buy..otherwise we would have missed this gem.

Edited by Sagarb

Sagar Bhowmick

What a wonderful design. I love that brushed look, but the lamy 2000 didn't work for me. May need to check this out. The overall look is wonderful.

"Oh deer."

That's a wonderful review! Thanks Sagar!

Mine is on it's way. I got a blue rippled version. By the look of it, I might end up ordering more because I do have some spare nibs lying around :P

Thank you steve, ..go ahead ..take them all. :D

Sagar Bhowmick

What a wonderful design. I love that brushed look, but the lamy 2000 didn't work for me. May need to check this out. The overall look is wonderful.

Thanks.. yes, the design is exquisite, so is the performance..

Sagar Bhowmick

Awesome pen.. great review sagar.. Pen and your handwriting both are very beautiful. we also want pics and reviews of nauka from other nauka buyers ;)

"Friendship is the purest love. It is the highest form of Love where nothing is asked for, no condition, where one simply enjoys giving.”
- Osho