Montblanc 121, The Tragedys Second Part

Vossi

Hello My Dear Fellows,

I recall, that I mentioned that I already have an MB, even thoe I called my very first review "the first Montblanc Meisterstück".

Well call my a liar, but the 121 doesn't count to me.

I bought this pen for 50€ at a flew-market I worked at. It was in my even earlier days of collecting pens, so even the fact that I didn't get anything with this pen like a packaging or so didn't bother me.

I went home full with joy and all this stuff because I just bought an MB!

But this topic wasnt called "Tragedy" if there wasn't a tragedy.

I filled the pen up with ink, so far so good, I began to write and thought 'wow what a nice nib.' (it really is a nice nib, lays down a fine-medium-broad line if u want it to.)

The very first mistake I did was watching Peter Unbehauen and his handwriting-style.

I wanted to adapt his rythm of flexing a nib.

I did bend the nib.

As soon as I started at the pen-shop in my city I got intouch with my loved "Pen-Doctor" who repaired the nib for free.

The very second thing is, that the barrel has an scratch that deep that the ink spells out.

This happened in my last exams.

DURING the exams. ...Quite a mess.

Yeah so this pen got me really mad. I was facinated by it and disgusted of all the failures that came along with this pen.

That is the story behind the pen but I want to 'review' it.

The pen features the Montblanc known color-sheme of gold and black. You have an really nice ink-window and an wing-nib.

The nib offers some flex but as i mentioned, don't over-do it!

If u'd asked me which nib is the smoothest of my collection I would give it to the 121's!

Today I use the pen only as, if you want to call it so, dip-pen.

Works quite well so I assume the feed does its job very good even after more then 4 decades.

I'll show u an writing-sample and how the pen is used on my desk, let me know what you think about the pen and tell me some storys about your pens!

Thanks for reading and have a wonderfull day!

Regards,

Vossi

post-122152-0-96710400-1447881189_thumb.jpg

post-122152-0-78554500-1447881212_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vossi

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vossi

• jar

• Pterodactylus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not the fault of the pen, you bent the nib.

Wing nibs are not flexible, not even semi flex, so please do not torture the nib, this will only end in its destruction (it's most likely already weakened as you bent it already).

It's not the fault of the pen, you bent the nib.

Wing nibs are not flexible, not even semi flex, so please do not torture the nib, this will only end in its destruction (it's most likely already weakened as you bent it already).

You're 100% right, thats why I labled it as my first big mistake.

I never called this pen bad. It is tbh one of the very best in my collection and when i have the time to I'll try to do an restauration on it and buy a new nib.

But thanks for your advice, I did not know that no Wing-nib is flexish.

Regards,

Vossi

But thanks for your advice, I did not know that no Wing-nib is flexish.

Regards,

Vossi

I don't think that is quite right. Here is a page on nib selection for the two digit models the preceded your 121. Flex nibs were offered and in fact were all that was offered on the student level pens.

http://www.fototime.com/CAA5A1577DAA0DC/xlarge.jpg

My Website