missphoenix

Hey, all! I was lucky enough to secure an order today for Pilot's Twilight LE Vanishing Point (Goulet Pens just restocked, for those looking to get one). I have smaller hands, so it's really important that my pens be relatively slim and light (my Pilot Metropolitan is almost a bit too wide and heavy, especially when posted). Obviously, a VP is fairly hefty, but I've heard from various reviews that the weight seems to be centered more in the middle and bottom half where the clip's located, which makes it more manageable. Can anybody confirm this?

I'm also curious to see whether people with smaller or average hands experience noticeable fatigue when using their VP. Thanks a lot!

-Amy

Edited by missphoenix

Amy C.

My FP/Calligraphy blog: inkynibby

As of January 2016, still searching for the elusive light, slim EDC!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• missphoenix

• snorkeler

• kernando

• ScienceChick

The current Pilot Capless pens, just plain Capless, are heavier and wider than they need to be. What you want is a Capless Décimo or an older model.

+1 The VP is too heavy for my comfort but the Decimo is great. I think my hands are about average (ring size 7-7.5)

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

I have very small hands and use the VP every day with no fatigue or ill effects. However, a friend has a Decimo, and that is also a wonderful pen. Though I am happy with my two VPs, should I get another one some day, it would be a tough choice between a Fermo and a Decimo.

I voted with my wallet: Decimo. Having held a VP at a pen show after the fact, I am confident I made the right choice. The girth of the VP is a bit excessive in my opinion, but after factoring in the weight too? Forget it...

I'd say my hands are around average for a man. The regular Vanishing Point is a bit uncomfortable for me for long periods of writing, more because of the clip placement than the overall size or weight. I do have a couple of VPs with the clips removed, and they are much more comfortable, but of course are not secure in a shirt pocket and can roll off tables if I don't watch how I set them down.

I also have one Capless Decimo, and would agree it's a better size for me, comfortable to hold even with the clip.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Update: After owning the VP for a while, I find my experience to be similar to that of FPN user Snorkeler's, in that I've been lucky enough not to get any serious fatigue so far even with lengthier writing. One of these days, I plan to use my VP for a *long* session to see if that'll change things. Thank you all! Your input was very valuable.

Amy C.

My FP/Calligraphy blog: inkynibby

As of January 2016, still searching for the elusive light, slim EDC!

I have small hands and I'm a bit sensitive to weight, so I don't buy metal pens.

I have several full-sized-but-not-huge pens (a couple of Sailors, a modded Ahab and a couple of Waterman 52s) but my preference these days is ringtops. It's a pity there aren't any modern makers.

I haven't tried a VP, but my hands are about 8" from wrist to end of longest (middle) finger. Certainly not large hands. 30 grams is about the most I like in terms of weight. I prefer lighter pens. I have gone up to about two hours with my True Writer Silver Anniversary which is the heaviest I own right at 30 grams. I don't even consider pens that weigh more than this.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain