Franklin-Christoph Pocket 40 Leaking Ink Into Cap

PaperQueen

My new Franklin-Christoph Pocket 40 has been leaving little droplets of ink in the transparent cap (in spite of the pen being stored nib up)--was an inconvenience, but last night, this is what I found, after laying it on its side for a moment while I answered the phone (before uncapping, thank goodness).

The smaller streaks are from ongoing "normal" drops in the cap; the big honkin' blob is the new pool. Had to uncap it over the sink, there was so much ink rolling around in there. :::yikes!:::

The nib section appears to be seated securely. Any idea what the heck is going on? Is this a known issue?

fpn_1447777881__franklin_christoph_ink_i

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaperQueen

• dms525

• keegan

• latetotheparty

Hi from F-C. This could be an anomaly, but if it is something that has continued, it's likely an issue with the housing or seating of the housing, allowing ink out when it shouldn't. Please email clientservice@franklin-christoph.com for solutions or to see about getting it repaired or replaced. We'll want to know the ink used as well, so remember that if you've changed it. Thanks! - Cullen at F-C.

F-C on Twitter

F-C on Facebook

Franklin-Christoph.com

F o r t i t u d o....e t....F i d e s

Now that is quick customer response. And what we have come to expect from Franklin-Christophe.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

I had a pocket 40 for a short time before I switched it to a full size. I didn't have any problem with it while I had it. They are usually great with sorting out any issues so I suggest you contact them. Good luck

Hi from F-C. This could be an anomaly, but if it is something that has continued, it's likely an issue with the housing or seating of the housing, allowing ink out when it shouldn't. Please email clientservice@franklin-christoph.com for solutions or to see about getting it repaired or replaced. We'll want to know the ink used as well, so remember that if you've changed it. Thanks! - Cullen at F-C.

Will do, Cullen---thanks for jumping in. :)

Now that is quick customer response. And what we have come to expect from Franklin-Christophe.

Enjoy,

No kidding---as a past retailer of fine writing instruments, my level of appreciation for great customer service is deep. Home run on the part of Franklin-Christophe. :thumbup:

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

My new Franklin-Christoph Pocket 40 has been leaving little droplets of ink in the transparent cap (in spite of the pen being stored nib up)--was an inconvenience, but last night, this is what I found, after laying it on its side for a moment while I answered the phone (before uncapping, thank goodness).

The smaller streaks are from ongoing "normal" drops in the cap; the big honkin' blob is the new pool. Had to uncap it over the sink, there was so much ink rolling around in there. :::yikes!:::

The nib section appears to be seated securely. Any idea what the heck is going on? Is this a known issue?

fpn_1447777881__franklin_christoph_ink_i

I am having the same problem, using the Model 40P as am ED-filler. Please let us know what FC has to say.

BTW, I have been using my 40P as an eyedropper-filler. Are you doing the same or using a cartridge?

David

Edited by dms525

I am having the same problem, using the Model 40P as am ED-filler. Please let us know what FC has to say.

BTW, I have been using my 40P as an eyedropper-filler. Are you doing the same or using a cartridge?

David

Cartridge only (J. Herbin).

Since this is a brand new pen, and Cullen generously opened the options of repair or replacement in his post (above), I've requested the latter. Will keep you updated.

Edited by PaperQueen

Remember eyedroppers are more likely to burp because there is a larger volume of air, which responds to temperature swings by expanding and contracting. If you carry the pen in a pocket, which is much warmer than on a desk, the air can expand and push some ink out in a "burp."

Remember eyedroppers are more likely to burp because there is a larger volume of air, which responds to temperature swings by expanding and contracting. If you carry the pen in a pocket, which is much warmer than on a desk, the air can expand and push some ink out in a "burp."

Yes. I am aware of that. However, the leakage from the 40P seems excessive. Cullen from FC had some suggestions which I have implemented. We'll see how it goes. The solution may be to rely on cartridges, but the demonstrators sure look neat as eyedroppers.

David

Thanks for the thread.

It is proof positive of the excellent customer service of Franklin-Christoph!

I would not hesitate to buy any item from F-C! You guys are great!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Here's the update I promised:

Since this was a limited edition P40 (MassDrop), there's no replacement option, but they're happy to either replace the nib and grip sections, assuming that's the problem, or...

...add it to their next production run of P40s in a few weeks. Talk about stellar service!

I'm going to try the first option, not wanting to go overboard with all this. Given how gracious they've been, there are no doubts the pen will come back home in perfect working order. :)

Here's my update: Cullen's suggestions to me were 1) Make sure the nib is well-seated (It was.); 2) Apply silicon grease to the section threads (I had.); 3) Apply silicon grease to the nib carrier threads (I hadn't.).

So, I cleaned the pen and applied silicon grease as instructed to both locations. I filled with Sheaffer Blue-Black by eyedropper. Everything seemed okay. No leakage or burping, but the ink was too dry for the nib. So, I cleaned the pen again and re-filled with Iroshizuku Take-sumi. That ink flows well with the nib.

I will carry the pen today in a pants front pocket, and we'll see if it experiences any incontinence.

David

P.S. While these little problems are usually instructive, until they are solved, they can be unreasonably stressful. So, for PaperQueen:

P.S. While these little problems are usually instructive, until they are solved, they can be unreasonably stressful. So, for PaperQueen:

attachicon.gifSoul wants chocolate.jpg

David, you made my day. :thumbup:

Update on ink leakage: Since I applied silicon grease to the nib carrier threads on my FC Model 40P, I am no longer getting ink leaking into the cap.

I have been carrying the pen in a pants pocket for the past two days. There is some water condensation in the cap. Once I saw one tiny speck (not big enough to call it a "spot") ink in the cap. I also notice ink is no longer getting into the section, around the nib carrier.

I regard my problem as "solved."

David