Montblanc No. 32

prh30

Hi

I have a vintage MB no. 32 fountain pen, which was supplied partially dissembled.

Having cleaned the pen, when I replace the part of the barrel with the top 'screw' part of the pen (attached to the piston plunger), it does not fully close on the bottom barrel (there is a gap of about 2mm).

I attach some photos of the problem.

Can anyone let me know why this is please?

Thanks

Paul

post-126339-0-84880100-1447681156_thumb.gif

post-126339-0-79124600-1447681185_thumb.gif

Edited by prh30

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• prh30

• CS388

• niksch

• Maxpens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't find the thread but I remember reading that it's a bit tricky to put back together and it's easy to end up with that gap.

Towards the end he was tinkering with the piston assembly to get it just right, also he assembled it before pressing it back in, but that does depend on if you have the same model, I think it's 60's pens that have the piston assembly press fitted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMu2Vm4UH_o

Hi

I checked out that video, and tried to do what Mr Fujii does, but I still end up with the gap!

I'd try it again.

It's quite a specific adjustment to get the full stroke to begin and end at the correct spot on the turning knob thread. If you can still remove the piston unit with ease, I'd tinker with the start position.

Assuming that your piston is travelling the full stroke, I'd say that your gap is (almost certainly) an adjustment issue.

Just guessing, though.

I've done a few of these (and similar) and it usually takes a few adjustments to get it right, after a complete strip-down.

Mr Fujii is an expert and makes it look easy. I always enjoy his videos.

Good luck.

And welcome to FPN

Hi

I checked out that video, and tried to do what Mr Fujii does, but I still end up with the gap!

You removed the tube thread from the barrel ? this is important ! no chance without removing the tube from the barrel to get it "gap free"

HANDMADE PENS : www.astoriapen.hamburg ; REPAIRSERVICE : www.maxpens.de ; by MONTBLANC recommended repair service for antique pens

I agree with CS388, and I think what Max is saying is the the entire piston assembly (including the threaded tube that id friction fit in the barrel), must be completely removed from the barrel. Only then can one properly seat the piston and piston seal on the piston knob. I wish I had good photos, but my photos of the 149 friction fit assembly in another thread, provide a similar example.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Hi

So I have tried again to remove the threaded tube that is a friction fit into the barrel (I have removed it before when I was trying to remove the gap).

However, it now seems stuck in the barrel, and worse, a slight crack has appeared in the thread (sticking out from the end of the barrel). I think if I hold it tight and pull hard, it will crack.

What are my options now?

Thanks

...snip...

However, it now seems stuck in the barrel, and worse, a slight crack has appeared in the thread (sticking out from the end of the barrel). I think if I hold it tight and pull hard, it will crack.

What are my options now?

Oh dear. Options limited, I'm afraid.

A crack anywhere is bad news. A crack on the threads can be fatal.

Whichever way you choose to go, you've got to get it out. Have you tried heat? Gentle heat from a hair-dryer can be sufficient. But ALWAYS proceed GENTLY, when using heat, if it's too hot to touch, it's too hot (as a rule of thumb).

Option 1: You get a replacement part (from a scrap pen on ebay eg) Then assemble and set-up the piston stroke and reassemble the pen.

Option 2: Crack repair. Difficult. Impossible in some situations. There are some experts in the Repairs Q&A forum who could tackle this, but the cost may may make the job untenable.

Back in the day, you could pick these pens up for as little as £10 - £20 on ebay. I went through a bunch of them, when I was first getting into the brand. I'd often glue bits together to get a working pen - but I'm hesitant to offer this as option 3, because the results were often short lived - and always unsightly.

These days, there seems to be no such thing as cheap Montblanc on ebay, but I think a parts pen may be your best bet?

Again, just musing. Other members may have a better solution....

Post a picture of the damage, if you can?

Good luck.

Hi

I have tried warming the pen with a hairdryer, but the barrel still won't come out.

I guess my only option now is to try to find the spare part; I've looked on ebay, but can't find anything.

Is there a stockist of Montblanc spares somewhere for a pen like this?

Thanks

Hi

I have tried warming the pen with a hairdryer, but the barrel still won't come out.

I guess my only option now is to try to find the spare part; I've looked on ebay, but can't find anything.

Is there a stockist of Montblanc spares somewhere for a pen like this?

Thanks

Maybe the good folk at penboard might be able to help.

My Website

Hi

This is a picture of the problem. I'm afraid that if I try to pull the barrel out by the last piece with pliers, it will break off inside the pen!

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

post-126339-0-45205600-1448554065_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Good evening - did you manage to find a solution to this problem - also i couldn't quite figure what part of the assembly the crack was on - was it the shell or the middle part of the pen?