What About Hicks?

kamakura-pens

One of the most prolific pen makers in the 1860's, 70's and 80's, but one that very little seems to be known is William S. Hicks. I've searched long and hard for any references to him, but he seems to be mostly ignored by collectors. What I have been able to find so far I have listed here:

Dead link-http://www.kamakurapens .com/Manhattan/Hicks.html

Does anyone have any more information? Or any cool Hicks Pens or pencils images to share?

Stay Well,

RD

Dead links-

http://www.kamakurapens .com

http://www.lionandpen .com

http://www.kamakurapens.com/Logo-1.jpg

Dr. Ron L. Dutcher

www.kamakurapens.com

Kamakura Pens on facebook

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidthecat

• AAAndrew

• ArthurI

• maczezus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alas, no pens or pencils here (I wish :)).

But in addition to the text that you quote in your Hicks page, here is another from Illustrated New York: the metropolis of to-day, Published 1888, International Pub. Co

It can be seen directly at http://www.google.com/books?vid=OCLC577007...p;lpg=RA9-PA262

It is interesting that it places the time of the change to the later address in March 1887

"WILLIAM S. HICKS, Manufacturer of Gold Pens and Pencil Cases, Nos. 231 to 235 Greenwich Street.-The name of

Hicks will ever be honorably identified with the trade in gold pens and pencil cases. As the oldest established mauufacturer,

Mr. William S. Hicks has not only maintained the leading position in his line, but is noted for his remarkable skill and versatility,

and for the originality of design and perfection of his product. He established the present business back in 1818, and during the long

intervening period has continued to actively carry it on upon a basis of the utmost efficiency. Mr. Hicks was born in New-York, and here

learned the trade in which he has achieved such a marked success, and New York city is to be congratulated upon the fact t,hat his gold

pens are known and sold in both hemispheres as standard goods for over thirty years past. For a large part of time Mr. Hicks was

located at No. 20 Maiden Lane, until March, 1887, the steady growth of trade, and desirability of superior light, power, etc., caused him to

remove his establishment t,o the fine new building. Nos. 231 to 235 Greenlvich Street, corner of Barclay Street. Here he occupies two

entire floors, 40x80 feet in dimensions, very handsomely fitted up with fine factory and salesroom. Mr. Hicks is the recognized leading

authority on the proper and best method of manufacturing perfect gold pens, and employs a force of from 90 to 100 skilled hands in the

various departments of the business. His pens are world renowned for exquisite temper, durable points, beauty of stock, and durability

for outlasting all other makes. They have come into use in the leading mercantile and financial circles of New York, London, and

all other large cities of the globe. and the universal verdict is that Hicks' gold pens (in their assorted varieties) best suit the purposes of

the public at large. He also makes a beautiful class of gold pencil cases, highly ornate and of exclusive original designs nowhere else

duplicated. The unique devices, happy conceits, amusing fashions introduced by him have gratified a very large circle of the community

that prefers personal belongings of a refined character. In this connection

we cannot suggest a better illustration of mr. Hicks' talents and original ideas than his elegant and striking business card, showing

the two hemispheres, his standard gold pen and various novel ideas in gold pencil cases, such as an owl, peg-top, dolphin.

acorn, etc., as neat as they are handy arid graceful. Mr. Hicks displays a

magnificent assortment in his show cases, and sells direct to the trade only, to whom he is known as a prompt, honorable husiness man, and

both the pioneer and leading representative manufacturer of the best gold pens end pencil cases."

Edited by antoniosz

• 2 years later...
One of the most prolific pen makers in the 1860's, 70's and 80's, but one that very little seems to be known is William S. Hicks. I've searched long and hard for any references to him, but he seems to be mostly ignored by collectors. What I have been able to find so far I have listed here:

http://www.kamakurapens.com/Manhattan/Hicks.html

Does anyone have any more information? Or any cool Hicks Pens or pencils images to share?

Stay Well,

RD

http://www.kamakurapens.com

http://www.lionandpen.com

I have been haveing the same p[roblem trying to research and date a solid 14K Bulb Filler I picked up some 5 years ago. Unfortunately I don't have a Picture of it yet to show you, but I wil endeavor to take one on post it/

Arthur

I have been haveing the same p[roblem trying to research and date a solid 14K Bulb Filler I picked up some 5 years ago. Unfortunately I don't have a Picture of it yet to show you, but I wil endeavor to take one on post it/

Arthur

Those bulb-filling fountain pens date to the later 1930s and 1940s, more or less. Nice pens, but made long after Hicks' heyday.

• 7 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a sterling Cartier ringtop with a tiny but wonderful William Hicks nib. Ron Zorn's had it for a while, trying to make it functional again, and it's such a beautiful pen it's worth it.

• 2 months later...

Update: I got my greedy hands on a sterling Tiffany ringtop with a Hicks nib. It's supposed to arrive Friday. Filthy as hell, but NOBODY ELSE BID. I don't know if I'm crazy or the other collectors were asleep, but they're great nibs and I really like sterling pens.

Update: I got my greedy hands on a sterling Tiffany ringtop with a Hicks nib. It's supposed to arrive Friday. Filthy as hell, but NOBODY ELSE BID. I don't know if I'm crazy or the other collectors were asleep, but they're great nibs and I really like sterling pens.

Ring tops are just not in demand. From your postings, I am familiar with your love of them. You should be thrilled at your good fortune that you get wonderful pens at discount prices!

That one was not exactly a discount, but I've gotten lucky on a few occasions. There are (as I'm sure you've discovered yourself) many dealers on eBay who have never heard of Mabie Todd.

Update: the pen arrived, and I sent it out almost at once to Mr. Minuskin, to see if he can find a new bulb to replace the shattered on at the end of a transparent plastic reservoir. Failing that, he'll...try something else.

I did, however, dip it in ink and try it out. The results were very interesting: I'd call it a semiflex nib, but what impressed me was that it wrote beautifully from every position. It was all sweet spot, which would indicate a very high level of craftsmanship. The way the cap fit told the same tale ; an extreme amount of care dedicated to making the parts fit together. It's a filthy little thing right now, but once it gets some TLC it'll be an absolute treasure. I can't wait to get it back.

Update: the pen arrived, and I sent it out almost at once to Mr. Minuskin, to see if he can find a new bulb to replace the shattered on at the end of a transparent plastic reservoir. Failing that, he'll...try something else.

Was cautiously following that pen, then decided that it was a syringe fill that would be difficult and expensive to restore. Look forward to Minuskin’s diagnosis. Please keep us posted.

Couldn’t agree more, with a little TLC those clad metal Hicks are a treasure. To whet your appetite a combo in gold…

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss2/DanDeM38/Hicks/WS%20Hicks%20GP%20Combo%20-%206_zpsyfimteok.jpg

That green color is the unfortunate reflection of the shirt I was wearing when I took the photo.

Another in sliver...

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss2/DanDeM38/Hicks/Silver%20Combo/Hicks%20Silver%20Combo%20-%206_zpsmo2gegkm.jpg

...and a sweet little sleeve fill, that's really special IMHO.

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss2/DanDeM38/Hicks/Silver%20Sleeve/Hicks%20Silver%20Sleeve%20-%204_zps1rc0u457.jpg

Edited by DanDeM

Dan,

Sleeve = Sweet.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I have a Cartier eyedropper with a Hicks nib: it's been in Mr. Zorn's custody for some months. It's like having a child in a Swiss boarding school - and possibly as expensive.

I have a Cartier eyedropper with a Hicks nib: it's been in Mr. Zorn's custody for some months. It's like having a child in a Swiss boarding school - and possibly as expensive.

Except that the child would come back fluent in French and German ...

ron

• 4 months later...

I just purchased this combination pencil/pen. I thought it was a Mabie Todd device, but someone pointed out to me that the patent marking suggested it was a Hicks body refitted with a Mabie Todd nib. Dates from 1860s to 1880s.

post-9410-0-58566200-1498237638_thumb.jpg

Update: Mr. Minuskin fitted a bulb to the reservoir, and it works a treat. Only problem is a persistent leak: there are two breather holes in the section. I fail to see what they were for, so I covered them with tape. It's unsightly, but it works.

• 3 weeks later...