Parker '51' Aerometric Color Poll

octatonic

Least favorite '51' Aerometric color  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What is your least favorite '51' Aerometric color?

The bloody burgundy has the advantage of people not mistaking it for plum. At least you don't have to wade through fortune hunter posts.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• FarmBoy

• inkstainedruth

• mitto

Even thought the 51 is one of the least visually inspiring pens in my collection, regardless of color... it remains a solid choice for daily use and I love them more than almost any other pen model... the color I dislike the most is the burgundy as it isn't plum.

(In my hearts most deep parts, I secretly love all '51s... vac and aero.)

Even thought the 51 is one of the least visually inspiring pens in my collection, regardless of color... it remains a solid choice for daily use and I love them more than almost any other pen model... the color I dislike the most is the burgundy as it isn't plum.

(In my hearts most deep parts, I secretly love all '51s... vac and aero.)

+1

Khan M. Ilyas

As I only have black I will abstain at this time. (and a Special at that) Who knows if I will ever own another of any color. Standard/Demi or Special.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I think the colors of the 51 were a thing of the time they were designed, those colors having been popular then. The same goes for the "uninspiring" style of the 51, which is a creature of the streamlined styling favored in the day. Since I remember those colors being common, and since the streamlined style was common when I was young, I like them and they inspire me with pleasant memories. The 1960s broke a lot of that up, leading to the opulent and garish styles and colors common in pens today, including embellished open nibs of huge size.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I think it's interesting that after nearly 5-1/2 weeks Cocoa is *still* the least favorite of the 51 colors (and by a large amount -- more than twice as many votes as Navy Gray). And that Midnight Blue (a color I have not yet been able to get my hands on because it's relatively expensive) seems to be the overall favorite -- or at least the color people hate the least....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think it's interesting that after nearly 5-1/2 weeks Cocoa is *still* the least favorite of the 51 colors (and by a large amount -- more than twice as many votes as Navy Gray). And that Midnight Blue (a color I have not yet been able to get my hands on because it's relatively expensive) seems to be the overall favorite -- or at least the color people hate the least....

The Cocoa color is one of those colors favored back in the day when these pens were made. Color preferences change over time, so it should be no surprise that Cocoa is not favored now. The 51 colors are mainly the conservative colors I remember from the 1950s. I don't hate any of the 51 colors, but you can see why some of them aren't liked now, sixty or so years later. Cocoa probably wasn't a favorite 51 color back then either, but Parker probably thought they should offer some color of that type.

The styles change, the color fashions change. If you don't like a color, don't buy a 51 in that color. I guess this poll about hating colors must make it fun to take pot shots at the fashions of yesteryear, especially if you didn't live through that time and have the perspective of having seen those colors or styles when they were current. I would guess that someone else might like those colors, or they probably wouldn't have made them. Likewise the styles of pens have changed from the streamlined of those olden days to the baroque or more embellished styles of today, with open nibs in lieu of hooded or semi-hooded nibs. It's just that styles have changed, tastes have changed, so why disparage the pens themselves by calling them "uninspiring?" They are just old fashioned.

It wasn't me that called them uninspiring. Personally, I love the streamlined look of 51s; that's maybe why I keep buying them -- I have 4 Aeros, and two 51 Vacs; plus a 51 Special, a 21 (which was sufficiently nice that I could understand why people wanted to upgrade to a 51), and a 41. Also, three (semi-hooded) 45s -- and a couple of 61s for good measure. ;) But since getting some of those I've also fallen for some of the colors on Vacumatics.... And my most recent Parker pen purchase was for a gorgeous blue Laidtone Duofold with a semi-flex oblique nib :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: ; I've been running Iroshihzuku Yama-budo through it just to play with the nib.... :thumbup:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."