The Weekly Sketch ~ Themed Drawing Prompts For Members

Pira

#7 Festive food

I decided to draw one of my wife's delicious homemade mince pies (sort of a cross with Bakewell tart), but it was very tricky. Shading with one colour of fountain pen ink should have been left to someone with much more skill than I. Ink and wash would work miles better, for those of who can do it, as well as using more than one colour.

Anyway, here it is.

- Pen: TWSBI Vac 700 EF (over a pencil sketch)

- Ink: Diamine Oxblood

- Paper: Moleskine pocket sketchbook

post-54491-0-01699000-1451149533_thumb.jpg

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snowbear

• amberleadavis

• Tas

• Pira

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm seriously impressed by everyone's work!

We have lots of foods that we reserve for the Christmas and New Year's holidays, but not many of them are inspiring to draw: brie... peppercorn cheese...egg nog...pigs in blankets? Didn't want to tackle any of those.

Couldn't sleep last night, so I sketched this from memory. We only buy these once a year.

23361263514_96cdccd6f0_z.jpg

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Instead of a traditional "sit-down" dinner this year, we had a variety of smaller items: meatballs, chicken wings, vegetable and cheese tray and potato salad. I did have a few things "lying around" for the sketch: eggnog garnished with French Vanilla ice cream, a candy cane and a navel orange. This time of year, Florida oranges and grapefruit are commonly sold by churches and charity groups to raise funds.

23696399160_80566e33b3.jpg

Main sketch outline and shadows: Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun ("Old man winter" - appropriate) with a Cross Adventura.

Candy cane stripes: Noodler's Greun cactus eel from a Jinhoa X750 and Iroshizuku Momiji (Autumn leaves) with a Sheaffer 300.

Orange: Wash of the old standby Noodler's Apache sunset (diluted heavily).

Eggnog & ice cream: Dilute wash of yellow and white acrylic ink.

No photos, but the steps were: light pencil outline, black/grey outline and shadow cross hatching, red & green inking in, orange wash, yellow-white wash, and finally water wash on shadows. The paper ripped a bit when I pulled it out of the sketchbook - next time I'll wait until it's dry.

http://sheismylawyer.com/album/Journal/LuMa/2014-I37.JPG

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

For the notebook above, where you may see more responses to Pira's prompts, look here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/301735-amazing-inkophiles-journal-gatzbcn-tomoe-river-pictures-only/?p=3524990

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/album/Journal/LuMa/2014-I37.JPG

post-125734-0-96821600-1451262311_thumb.jpg

You might like a pen cleaner like this, equal pressure on both sides, it's for my airbrush tip but I use it for the pens as well. I like my new oak pen holder too, I may need another one soon.

"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr

attachicon.gifcleaning toothbrush 004.jpg

You might like a pen cleaner like this, equal pressure on both sides, it's for my airbrush tip but I use it for the pens as well. I like my new oak pen holder too, I may need another one soon.

I like the pen holder, too.

I like the pen holder, too.

It was destined to be a bowl after it dried, but was usurped. When will the pens stop coming? Thank goodness they aren't the size of basketballs. I think I need a 12 pen program. I don't give the fountain pens away like I do the rollerball and ballpoints, for some reason.

Edited by Inkfillet

"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr

Is it mere coincidence that the teeth look like Inky? ;)

It's more that I'm a bad draw-er.

attachicon.gifcleaning toothbrush 004.jpg

I love it and the pen holder.

oh ... wow ... every member here... loved each post.,...

Thank you all..

will draw/sketch something on similar lines....

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

post-125734-0-78119000-1451420853_thumb.jpg

Icel 6" boner, Cabbage ink

I think I can do a lot better next year.

Edited by Inkfillet

Love the cabbage ink. Been looking for some for a long time. Making do with beet juice.

It's actually cabbage carved with a knife. The ink part is just a joke.

Enjoying seeing everyone's individual style and technique so far! I need to catch up on the prompts... falling behind :o

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have paper and it's been crumpled up. I just need to decide which of the colors from my present to use. Son #1 got me a three-pack of Iroshizuku! :D

I hope everyone had a safe and happy New Year.

No layouts or brush washes this week; I just drew with the pen.

23759531979_a86fa5957c.jpg

I decided to go with a fountain pen and Noodlers instead of a dip pen & Iroshizuku.

Jinhao 599 blue demonstrator, "Goldspot" promotional edition, with Noodler's Navajo Turquiose.

Edited by snowbear

Nice one snowbear. It's great to see that someone managed to find some time to do some sketching. I'm finally home from the Christmas / New Year family chaos, so hopefully tomorrow or Monday I'll be able to pick up a pen and some crumpled paper.

First "crumpled paper" was a fail. ....thinking.....