Asa Daily: A Name Of Simplicity

Sagarb

post-120844-0-26934200-1446446064_thumb.jpg

“In character, in manner, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity.”

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (American Poet)

Appearance & Design: (8/10)

post-120844-0-06508700-1446446078_thumb.jpg

Asa Daily

ASA ‘Daily’ doesn’t seem to have a unique or a gorgeous design or style, but has a decent, simple and handsome appearance. Daily’s beauty lies in its simplicity.

post-120844-0-19744700-1446446095_thumb.jpg

Posted look

A cigar-shaped ebonite fountain pen which is completely handmade comes with chrome trim.

post-120844-0-16322700-1446446819_thumb.jpg

Capped and uncapped

Finishing is so smooth and done so expertly that I haven’t found any mark anywhere.'Asa Daily',India 2015 is finely engraved on the barrel wall.

post-120844-0-88637200-1446446821_thumb.jpg

Engraving

Construction & Quality: (10/10)

We are already concerned that an ‘ebonite’ pen has always been a step ahead of the others in the world of fountain pen. I have always a weakness in ebonite pens especially when they are hand crafted.

It is a large pen and very well constructed with its solidity and longevity.

post-120844-0-30763700-1446447056_thumb.jpg

Clip view

The clip is sturdy and made of steel with a teardrop ending.

Wight & Dimensions:(10/10)

With the converter filled with ink the weight of the pen is 25gms (with cap). Dimensions are like this:

post-120844-0-02855000-1446447062_thumb.jpg

Dimensions

From the clip joint to the barrel end the length is 140mm so it fits into a normal size pocket easily. It is very well balanced for a long, tireless writing whether it is posted or not. But I feel more comfort when it is not posted.

post-120844-0-64947700-1446446827_thumb.jpg

Size comparisons

Nib & Performance:(9/10)

“Daily” comes with German made Schmidt #5 nib (Schmidt FH341) unit. Since it is my first Schmidt nib Mr.Subramaniam suggested me to put ‘M’ size nib for its extra smoothness and I had decided to go with his suggestion. It writes just as I like.

post-120844-0-14466100-1446447397_thumb.jpg

Nib unit

The nib is so smooth, glides on the paper without any burping. The plastic feed really works good that I had already written a number of pages without any burping.

post-120844-0-49900700-1446455533_thumb.jpg

Feed

I have written with this pen in two different types of paper(samples are given at the end), performance was uniformly good, haven’t felt any difference as such. There is no breathing hole in the cap as well.

There is only one issue; the No.5 nib looks comparatively small against the barrel’s size, may be No.6 would be a better choice.

Filling System & Mechanism:(10/10)

Daily has 3 in 1 filling system which I really prefer.

post-120844-0-06685300-1446447717_thumb.jpg

3 in 1 filling system

It comes with Schmidt K5 converter. Any standard international cartridge fits into it. I haven’t tested the eye-dropping or cartridge filling yet but the barrel seems it can hold up to 4ml ink.

Handwritten Samples:post-120844-0-25947100-1446448486_thumb.jpg

post-120844-0-07391800-1446448489_thumb.jpg

post-120844-0-26750000-1446447887_thumb.jpg

Conclusion:

“Daily” is really a good pen. I am very happy with its performance so far. As Asa always maintains commensurate quality with price, it is another example of it. “Daily” is already added to my daily writers list.

post-120844-0-57035700-1446448805_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sagarb

Sagar Bhowmick

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sagarb

• hari317

• visvamitra

• vig2432

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the wonderful review....

Also wanted to add that nib is but springy also...

I love your handwriting....

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Nice review and wonderful handwriting. Just one correction- the feed is plastic, not ebonite

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Nice review Sagar, it is always a pleasure to view your Pics and handwriting. I liked the color and pattern on your pen too, The owner of ASA ( :) ) had showed me this color when I had visited him last month. Well done!

All the Schmidt feeders are made of Plastic, still they perform very well.

Best

Hari

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks for the wonderful review....

Also wanted to add that nib is but springy also...

I love your handwriting....

Thanks Vaibhav..thanks for your complements...

Sagar Bhowmick

Nice review and wonderful handwriting. Just one correction- the feed is plastic, not ebonite

I am so sorry for my mistake, a very big mistake indeed...thanks for your concern..

Sagar Bhowmick

Nice review Sagar, it is always a pleasure to view your Pics and handwriting. I liked the color and pattern on your pen too, The owner of ASA ( :) ) had showed me this color when I had visited him last month. Well done!

All the Schmidt feeders are made of Plastic, still they perform very well.

Best

Hari

Thank you so much Hari,it's always good to hear from you.. I really like this colour as well..And what a mistake I have made..I should really concerned about that when I am writing a review.extremely sorry I am..I have edited it..

Sagar Bhowmick

Great review! What is the name of the color of this pen?

Thanks!

Thanks very much...it's Light brown and green rippled(or mottled!)..actually I had chosen the color from another pen from ASA.

Sagar Bhowmick

Good review. That ebonite colour looks really nice in your pictures.

thanks very much, yes..the colour is really cool..

Sagar Bhowmick

Fantastic Review Sagar. The attention to detail and the pictures are truly wonderful.

Attaching a picture of my ASA Daily in rippled brown finish.

post-125832-0-84334900-1447002727_thumb.jpg

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

Thanks for the review. I also have one in the dark brown ripple finish and I really enjoy writing with it. I had it special ordered with a broad nib and it writes great, but I do wish it was a #6 nib. It would suit the larger pen much better. It also takes quite a while to take the cap off and put it back on, but that's not really a big deal. Fantastic pen otherwise!

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

Fantastic Review Sagar. The attention to detail and the pictures are truly wonderful.

Attaching a picture of my ASA Daily in rippled brown finish.

attachicon.gifIMG_20151108_220758.jpg

Thanks Prithwijit..rippled brown's always been my favorite too..and it goes with every shape...

Edited by Sagarb

Sagar Bhowmick

Thanks for the review. I also have one in the dark brown ripple finish and I really enjoy writing with it. I had it special ordered with a broad nib and it writes great, but I do wish it was a #6 nib. It would suit the larger pen much better. It also takes quite a while to take the cap off and put it back on, but that's not really a big deal. Fantastic pen otherwise!

Thanks very much.Does it look better with the #6 nib than #5? What do you think?

Edited by Sagarb

Sagar Bhowmick