Kaweco Brass Sport And Lilliput - Accessories (And The Rhine Legions)

Scythian

Greetings from Canada. This is my first FPN post (other than my introduction).

I recently added the brass Kaweco Sport and Lilliput pens to my collection. For some years my fountain pens have tended to be of German manufacture, such as Lamy, Pelikan and Montblanc, with Fisher Space pen "bullet" ball point pens meeting my "in the field" and EDC requirements. I am a public safety worker, and reserve officer in the military, and have a wide range of writing needs (I am hoping to transition into a more gentle, fountain pen - friendly legal practice when I retire in the next few years).

For the most part, my German made pens have fulfilled a dignified and professional "boardroom" and "meeting" need, while the Fisher space pens have met my "note-taking", "fieldcraft" and "training exercise" requirements (especially in the winter when the unfreezable fisher inks are really the only option - other than pencil - FYI only - my favorite "space pen" is the brass "bullet" which I keep in a Kaweco Lilliput leather pouch).

The Kaweco brass pens are both quite beautiful, and seemingly indestructable. I can write with the Sport unposted, but I much prefer the length of the posted pen. The Lilliput cannot really be used unposted given that the body is miniscule, but the cap threads very securely onto the body, and is quite an adequate size once posted. In terms of finish, expect the brass to tarnish quickly. I find the patina effect very attractive, but some of my peers much prefer the bright, shiny finish they first arrived in. The finish can be quickly restored with the proper cleaning solution and cloth, but I personally like the "antique" look.

I obtained Kaweco leather pouches for each pen from "Jetpens", and purchased gold plated steel nibs for them separately. The "stock" steel nibs were pretty much identical in performance, and both the steel, and gold plated steel nibs (I switched out medium steel nibs for broad gold plated nibs) wrote smoothly with no skipping. I also obtained the Kaweco squeeze converter for each pen, but found them to hold so little ink that I switched back to Kaweco short "Royal Blue" cartridges. I further "upgraded" the brass Sport with a gold coloured clip. The "Sport" is therefore never outside my waist coat, or suit jacket front pocket when I leave for work.

In temparate weather, I can now take both the Sport and Lilliput into the field with me for "light" outdoor activities. I used them both last week end during a nearby training exercise, and they each functioned well, with little worry of damage or failure. Of course during the winter, I will have to switch back to the "freeze proof" Fisher space pen for my outdoor activities.

As an aside, I have done a lot of research on the new 14K gold Kaweco nib that is available in Europe. If it is ever available in North America at a reasonable price I will certainly beg my both my wife and daughter to purchase it for me (failing that, I will have to save up my lunch claims). That would be the ultimate upgrade!

I also acquired the respective "Sport" and "Lilliput" Kaweco leather pouches, which are really the best things ever given their very reasonable price. The leather is fine, but still rugged, and I obtained additional "2 pen" pouches to fit my French laguiole knives for a third of the price of custom knife pocket pouches.

I am posting a series of photos taken from my Samsung Note 4 phone. The Note 4 takes absolutely stunning images, but unfortunately the images take up so much data, that I was not able to load the originals on the forum. I had to "downgrade" / compress them to fit. I hope that they look ok. If anyone has any suggestions as to loading these images without losing too much resolution, please let me know.

The attached images include:

1. Kaweco brass Sport and Lilliput pens and accessories (Sport and Lilliput pens, Kaweco converters attached to the "stock" steel nibs, Sport and Lilliput leather pouches, and Kaweco box)
  2. My gentlemans / waistcoat EDC contents (brass Lilliput in pouch, brass compass, copper Prometheus Beta flashlight, all in a Saddleback Leather card wallet / sleeve)
  3. EDC pouch and pens
  4. German pens comparison (Kaweco brass Sport, Kaweco brass Lilliput, Pelikan M800 and Montblanc 149)
  5. German pens posted

The first image depicts one of my Imperial Roman Rhine Legions, about to be attacked in its fortress by Germanic tribesmen, circa 9-15 AD. Some of the other images are that of a Bavarian village during the War of the Spanish Succession (circa 1700) defended by Bavarian, French, Irish (French regiments loyal to King Louis XIV), and Swiss (regiments loyal to France) troops. The village is under attack by English, Scottish, Dutch, Prussian, Danish, and Ausrian troops. I apologize for the completely unnecessary toy soldier images, but I was simply not able to restrain myself.

Regards,

Tish

post-126040-0-29454600-1446406596.jpg

post-126040-0-42705900-1446406603.jpg

post-126040-0-85446400-1446406612.jpg

post-126040-0-07565800-1446406633.jpg

post-126040-0-41496100-1446406639.jpg

post-126040-0-14978400-1446406647.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scythian

• TorontoJohnny

• Bill Wood

• AnneLyle

The brass fountain is absolutely gorgeous, I held it today at a pen show and was in love. Conversely I write mostly with the demonstrator (converted to eye dropper, medium gold plated nib) and the ballpoint.

Lovely pens for the everyday writer and author on the go like myself.

Ps. The machining on the brass is a wonder of precision.

Ps2. Very curious about the gold 14k nib. Is it solid?

The "gold" nibs I purchased were merely "gold coloured". I believe they are steel and only gold plated or electro-plated. They are identical to the steel nibs, and I believe that they are the same price online (around $15 to $20 or so).

The 14K gold nib is solid gold, and was reviewed by SRE Brown on one of his Youtube videos, and he spoke quite highly about it. As far as I can tell, the nib is only available at Cultpens in Britain, and at a very high price. I am hoping to see it turn up in North America at a good price, or on sale somewhere. The money I would spend to buy it at the UK price would pay for a new Pelikan M200, or an after market Montblanc Classique!

I agree that the brass is very well engineered on both pens. The threading is perfect. I don't believe that either pen is recommended as an eyedropper because of the metalic, and tarnishing properties of the brass.

I am considering a Kaweco Sport demonstrator as you described to use as an eyedropper for highlighter ink. I just received a very inexpensive amber colored Pelikan M200 demonstrator from Japan, and am fascinated by the ink splooshing around inside it (it is even a piston filler). Unfortunately the M200 is simply too fragile in appearance to consider taking anywhere outside of an office environment.

Tish

The "gold" nibs I purchased were merely "gold coloured". I believe they are steel and only gold plated or electro-plated. They are identical to the steel nibs, and I believe that they are the same price online (around $15 to $20 or so).

The 14K gold nib is solid gold, and was reviewed by SRE Brown on one of his Youtube videos, and he spoke quite highly about it. As far as I can tell, the nib is only available at Cultpens in Britain, and at a very high price. I am hoping to see it turn up in North America at a good price, or on sale somewhere. The money I would spend to buy it at the UK price would pay for a new Pelikan M200, or an after market Montblanc Classique!

I agree that the brass is very well engineered on both pens. The threading is perfect. I don't believe that either pen is recommended as an eyedropper because of the metalic, and tarnishing properties of the brass.

I am considering a Kaweco Sport demonstrator as you described to use as an eyedropper for highlighter ink. I just received a very inexpensive amber colored Pelikan M200 demonstrator from Japan, and am fascinated by the ink splooshing around inside it (it is even a piston filler). Unfortunately the M200 is simply too fragile in appearance to consider taking anywhere outside of an office environment.

Tish

Hey Tish,

I wouldn't do the brass as an eyedropper either, I don't think the material would block the ink, and it would be somewhat pointless (unless all you're looking for is volume.)

The Kaweco demonstrator has been going strong for a while now with some lovely green ink in it. I couldn't find my little container of silicone grease but I am yet to have a leak; the Kaweco machining on the threads is very tight and keeps the ink from making its way out, HOWEVER I recommend you do this properly and get yourself the silicone grease :)

The bright highlighter ink would look really neat in the demonstrator.

https://www.wonderpens.ca/Silicone_Grease_1_8_Oz_p/sgrease.htm

Cheers

Hey Tish,

I wouldn't do the brass as an eyedropper either, I don't think the material would block the ink, and it would be somewhat pointless (unless all you're looking for is volume.)

The Kaweco demonstrator has been going strong for a while now with some lovely green ink in it. I couldn't find my little container of silicone grease but I am yet to have a leak; the Kaweco machining on the threads is very tight and keeps the ink from making its way out, HOWEVER I recommend you do this properly and get yourself the silicone grease :)

The bright highlighter ink would look really neat in the demonstrator.

https://www.wonderpens.ca/Silicone_Grease_1_8_Oz_p/sgrease.htm

Cheers

I looked into your silicone grease suggestion and it is a really good idea. I am going to pick some up. I have been looking into some Toronto area pen shops for the Kaweco demonstrator. If I don't find one locally (I have to travel between London, Milton, and King and Bay in Toronto fairly regularly) I will try Jet Pens in the states. I recently obtained a really nice Pelikan 200 amber demonstrator from a Japanese online store, but the nib is not broad enough to use as a highlighter - I will probably load it with Montblanc Toffee Brown instead.

• 1 month later...

Interesting discussion fellas, and Tish thank you for your service to our country. I'm new to Kaweco and just picked up a sport today. Very interested I trying one. Heard a lot about them.

Nice collection! I have the Lilliput in both copper and eco brass - I hated the gaudy orange colour of the copper one when it arrived, but it's already developing a dark patina and is nearer a deep terracotta. The brass I think looks good whether new and shiny or old and well-used.

I hadn't looked into the gold nibs before - wow, they are expensive! More than either of the pens themselves - and given how small the Lilliputs are, and thus easy to lose, not an investment I'm in a hurry to make.

I hadn't looked into the gold nibs before - wow, they are expensive! More than either of the pens themselves - and given how small the Lilliputs are, and thus easy to lose, not an investment I'm in a hurry to make.

You won't really notice any difference between the gold or steel nibs, unlike with vintage pens.

Unless you are a 'gold snob', it's probably just as well to stick with the nib it came with.

You won't really notice any difference between the gold or steel nibs, unlike with vintage pens.

Unless you are a 'gold snob', it's probably just as well to stick with the nib it came with.

This is good to know. I don't like the nib on my Sport and have been thinking that if I replaced the nib, I might be more likely to use the pen. Now I know that investing in a 14K Kaweco nib would lead only to disappointment.

This is good to know. I don't like the nib on my Sport and have been thinking that if I replaced the nib, I might be more likely to use the pen. Now I know that investing in a 14K Kaweco nib would lead only to disappointment.

Offcourse some other people like SBRE Brown, Gourmet pens and The pen habit finds some difference between Kaweco steel and gold nibs. Mostly that gold B / BB nibs seem to write wider and / or wetter and more stubb-ish than their steel counterparts.

Check their reviews with a two grains of salt, and see if you want to pay the price or not.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

Lovely to hear 'life stories' of your Kaweco pens' adventures! I have the Raw Al Sport and adore it; I also had the Fireblue Liliput and Raw Brass Sport, but to me the all filled the same task niche (rugged EDC pocket pen) so I sold the latter two. The Brass Wave Liliput is still on my oneday list, however! Love the patina variation over those crests & troughs.

Welcome to FPN and thank you for sharing your story and photos! :)

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze