Lazard 20

As the seller told me this peculiar vacumatic comes from a estate about 15 years ago in Bilbao (northern Spain). He could not remember the owner. It was discovered in a web ads in this condition, click here.

Its 3 rings cap is smaller diameter and not compatible with 1st generation.

I found this fpen with defects in the thread barrel, with a fault in "tart" of celluloid on cap (glued), star clip, a barrel emerald color but varying faded to yellow and even, less expected, with ringed jewel matching what is rarer still in vacs 3G. The jewel fits perfectly, measured 6.6 mm. in diameter and it is too small for a cap and too big for a blind cap 1G or 2G.

That identify these "Standard" 3G is its cap and the color was excellent and it is now in perfect structural condition after polishing the "scar" of glue.

http://s13.postimg.org/41v32qa0n/Parker_Vacumatic_3_G_Standard_emerald_view_Lazard.jpg

http://s23.postimg.org/u1xhm8z63/Parker_Vacumatic_3_G_Standard_emerald_sides_Lazar.jpg

http://s30.postimg.org/8u6lxckq9/Parker_Vacumatic_3_G_Standard_emerald_star_clip_j.jpg

http://s7.postimg.org/ml4qlgofv/Parker_Vacumatic_3_G_Standard_emerald_jewel_Lazar.jpg

http://s7.postimg.org/lp8960erf/Parker_Vacumatic_3_G_Standard_emerald_imprint_Laz.jpg

Edited by Lazard 20

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lazard 20

• Brian-McQueen

• kirchh

• FarmBoy

The "scar" of glue, however, could be polished into a more Smoother surface.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

The "scar" of glue, however, could be polished into a more Smoother surface.

Actually the passage of the fingertips doesn´t feel the "scar" and is difficult to observe something visually even if you are pre warned. But yes, in fact all my handyman works are perfectible with more patiente work.

http://s9.postimg.org/ic0iqdeof/Parker_Vacumatic_3_G_Standard_emerald_before_afte.jpg

Edited by Lazard 20

I am confused by the clip on your pen (cap). I expect a star clip on a late 1930s Vacumatic but do you consider it correct also for a mid 1940s Vacumatic?

I am confused by the clip on your pen (cap). I expect a star clip on a late 1930s Vacumatic but do you consider it correct also for a mid 1940s Vacumatic?

A star clip on this pen is not expected, and neither is the striped jewel. The 3-banded SJ Major from ~1946 is a known pen, but I wonder if this example might be a Streamlined Standard cap on a 1946 barrel, given the early findings of the striped jewel and star clip. I don't know if a Streamlined Standard cap would fit on a Major barrel, though. I don't have the parts to check, either.

Strange in the basque country, I wonder the history behind this object. By the way, I have a blue azure vacumatic from David Issacson.

Strange in the basque country, I wonder the history behind this object. By the way, I have a blue azure vacumatic from David Issacson.

Azure blue pearl -not blue azure- 3G but with triple cap band and matching jewel as fpen topic? I do not believe it. One photo please.

Edited by Lazard 20

A star clip on this pen is not expected, and neither is the striped jewel. The 3-banded SJ Major from ~1946 is a known pen, but I wonder if this example might be a Streamlined Standard cap on a 1946 barrel, given the early findings of the striped jewel and star clip. I don't know if a Streamlined Standard cap would fit on a Major barrel, though. I don't have the parts to check, either.

The clip star is not very very strange in the third generation. I´ve had 3 in the last years. Even I have a local ad with a 3G Junior double cap band and star clip. As well I am open to other possibilities too.

About this matching striped jewel I can say nothing, is for that I have given the exact dimensions, 6,6 mm. diameter -vs 8,4 mm. in catalogued standard- , if someone indicates possible compatibility with other model.

About differents "Streamlined Standard" I need to know that you mean because cap of fountain pen of this topic could be preciselly "Streamlined Standard" ("streamlined" because in relation with last 1939 and previous Standard vacs is streamlined, and "Standard" by 3 rings cap as previous Standard). See this comparison and found that cap topic can´t come from 1939.
http://s4.postimg.org/naeaffmf1/Parker_Vacumatic_3_G_Standard_emerald_cap_compara.jpg
Edited by Lazard 20

The clip star is not very very strange in the third generation. I´ve had 3 in the last years. Even I have a local ad with a 3G Junior double cap band and star clip. As well I am open to other possibilities too.

About this matching striped jewel I can say nothing, is for that I have given the exact dimensions, 6,6 mm. diameter, if someone indicates possible compatibility with other model.

About differents "Streamlined Standard" I need to know that you mean because cap of fountain pen of this topic could be preciselly "Streamlined Standard" ("streamlined" because in relation with last 1939 and previous Standard vacs is streamlined, and "Standard" by 3 rings cap as previous Standard).

I would like to see the ad with a 3G Junior with star clip. The star clip should have ended in 1939.

What I mean by "Streamlined Standard" is a pen that is essentially a 2G Major with 3 cap bands. They are commonly found with star clips.

Edited by Ron Z

Even I have a local ad with a 3G Junior double cap band and star clip. As well I am open to other possibilities too.

That sounds interesting. It would be really great if you could share the advertisement that you refer to. Is the ad from a US, Canadian or European source?

Brian: Thanks. I'm open to any possibility but I'm not interested in photos but in dimensions of cap and jewel cap. In any case these web have broken the links to photos although I can easily imagine what you say and it would be a possible explanation for this case if the measures are identical..

Joss & Brian: A local ad with Junior 3G star clip. See clip Nº 139 Parker Junior Pen.

http://s30.postimg.org/brrctvbtd/Parker_Vacumatic_Junior_star_clip_Lazard.jpg

http://s17.postimg.org/plhmhxepb/Parker_Vacumatic_Junior_star_clip_ad_Lazard.jpg

Edited by Lazard 20

Brian: Thanks. I'm open to any possibility but I'm not interested in photos but in dimensions of cap and jewel cap. In any case these web have broken the links to photos although I can easily imagine what you say.

Joss & Brian: A local ad with Junior 3G star clip. Voila! See clip Nº 139 Parker Junior Pen.

http://s30.postimg.org/brrctvbtd/Parker_Vacumatic_Junior_star_clip_Lazard.jpg

http://s17.postimg.org/plhmhxepb/Parker_Vacumatic_Junior_star_clip_ad_Lazard.jpg

I don't own one of these pens, so I don't know the dimensions.

Regarding the ad you posted: It looks like the company that created that ad took various drawings from other advertisements, catalogs, or plates, and put them together. Look at the difference in perspective of the Junior and Major pens. They may have used an old drawing for the Junior. Since the blind cap is not shown, we cannot say it was a drawing meant to represent a 3G pen.

Edited by BrianMcQueen

"Full television ink supply," I love it! TV influenced everything, remember TV dinners?

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

If you scroll down, you will see some photos which are not broken. I don't own one of these pens, so I don't know the dimensions.

Regarding the ad you posted: It looks like the company that created that ad took various drawings from other advertisements, catalogs, or plates, and put them together. Look at the difference in perspective of the Junior and Major pens. They may have used an old drawing for the Junior. Since the blind cap is not shown, we cannot say it was a drawing meant to represent a 3G pen.

¿Junior with Lifetime guarantee? No, right? It confirm you that stock star clip followed using afther 2G in not Lifetime pens adicionally it continued to being used because I've seen several and some sold ... but the conversation could get to infinity because someone could always say that the cap does not correspond to the barrel. So I just got here: A vacumatic less usual.

Thanks for sharing the ad, can you also let us know the exact year of its publication?

The problem in this case is, as you also know, that the ad is not an official Parker publication. So it is difficult to use this ad as a solid confirmation for your statements. The drawings in the ad were definitely copied from other sources, which is evident from the impossible position of the ink level in the horizontally oriented pens.

Was the star clip Vacumatic ever shown in an official Parker catalog? That might bring a clue on the origin of the drawing.

¿Junior with Lifetime guarantee? No, right? It confirm you that stock star clip followed using afther 2G in not Lifetime pens adicionally it continued to being used because I've seen several and some sold ... but the conversation could get to infinity because someone could always say that the cap does not correspond to the barrel. So I just got here: A vacumatic less usual.

Parker never said that the star was for lifetime guarantee, so they started using the star clips on Juniors, Shadow Waves, Stramlined Standards, and Streamlined Slenders during 1940-1941.

A 1946 Major with 3 bands does exist. I have a couple. However, normally they would have a black jewel and a non-Blue Diamond clip.

I think your pen either has the wrong jewel and clip, or the wrong cap. Your cap is probably from an earlier Streamlined Standard.

I spoke with someone who has a Streamlined Standard, and he says that the Streamlined Standard cap does fit on a 3G Major barrel.

You would be happy, I think, to put the cap from this pen on a double jewel Major barrel, 1939-1941. Then you would have a Streamlined Standard.

Edited by BrianMcQueen

Parker never said that the star was for lifetime guarantee, so they started using the star clips on Juniors, Shadow Waves, Stramlined Standards, and Streamlined Slenders during 1940-1941.

A 1946 Major with 3 bands does exist. I have a couple. However, normally they would have a black jewel and a non-Blue Diamond clip.

I think your pen either has the wrong jewel and clip, or the wrong cap. Your cap is probably from an earlier Streamlined Standard.

I spoke with someone who has a Streamlined Standard, and he says that the Streamlined Standard cap does fit on a 3G Major barrel.

You would be happy, I think, to put the cap from this pen on a double jewel Major barrel, 1939-1941. Then you would have a Streamlined Standard.

I concur. I've checked the fit of a Streamlined Standard cap on a 3G Major barrel.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

1) A 1946 Major with 3 bands does exist. I have a couple. However, normally they would have a black jewel and a non-Blue Diamond clip.

2) I think your pen either has the wrong jewel and clip, or the wrong cap. Your cap is probably from an earlier Streamlined Standard.

1) In fact, It exist and these Laminatet Jet and Silver Pearl are the most frequent colors and much less frecuent emerald and burgundy.

http://s11.postimg.org/is4hu53yb/image.jpg

2) Sure.

Edited by Lazard 20