It Wasn't Likely That I'd Ever Be Able To Get A Mb Hemingway. So, I Got One Better.

rpsyed

Thank you!

Haha, yeah. Crazily enough. Heminway's are currently selling over well over $2,000, sometimes close to $3,000. I think when the Hemingway came out, however, it was less than $1,000 brand new.

Thank you! Agreed! Shawn's work keeps getting better and better.

Well, yes and no. The nib wasn't made to flexible, exactly. Shawn and his jeweler just made a nib - this is only the second nib they've ever made. The first was like test nib, the nib on my pen was the first made for a customer. When Shawn made the feed and set the nib in the section, he realized it was really flexy. So it wasn't modified to flex, it was just made and happened to be flexible. Though from looking at the shape and length of the tines, it does seem logical that it would be somewhat flexible.

When the Hemingway FP came out (1992), it listed for about $350; a friendly jeweler who was an AD sold me one for about $250. I still have that pen and it is one of my two favorite FPs.

Your Hemingway inspired pen looks like a great pen - and unique!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rpsyed

• GClef

• Keyless Works

• wspohn

Nice pen. The nib is pretty unique. Funny thing is when the pen is photographed separately you don't get the idea how big is it unless there is a size comparison

Write with joy...beauty of a pen

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

I am rarely taken with custom pens I see, but yours is one I find to be very attractive, both for the aesthetics and the nib. I'll bet your post will result in a lot more business for the pen maker!

There are probably quite a few people willing to spend some money on a custom pen that suits their every desire!

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

I never really liked the custom pens that were simply shaped pieces of acrylic and a nib unit, but DAMN, that looks GOOOOD

When the Hemingway FP came out (1992), it listed for about $350; a friendly jeweler who was an AD sold me one for about $250. I still have that pen and it is one of my two favorite FPs.

Your Hemingway inspired pen looks like a great pen - and unique!

Oh wow! That is awesome! I wish I was old enough then to have taken advantage of deals like that. Thank you very much!

Nice pen. The nib is pretty unique. Funny thing is when the pen is photographed separately you don't get the idea how big is it unless there is a size comparison

Thank you! Yeah, definitely. The pen isn't too tall but it's definitely stout, with a pretty huge nib.

I wonder if he'd like to have a go at a ringtop?

I bet he would! That would be awesome. I think the size might limit you to having to have an eyedropper pen (which isn't a big deal because eyedroppers are great!)

Write with joy...beauty of a pen

Thank you!

I am rarely taken with custom pens I see, but yours is one I find to be very attractive, both for the aesthetics and the nib. I'll bet your post will result in a lot more business for the pen maker!

There are probably quite a few people willing to spend some money on a custom pen that suits their every desire!

I agree. I know Shawn has already made at least one more custom nib - I can't wait to see more posts showing these nibs.

I never really liked the custom pens that were simply shaped pieces of acrylic and a nib unit, but DAMN, that looks GOOOOD

Thank you!