Asa Rainbow Review.

crazyaboutpens

asapens recently launched a new pen, called the rainbow. This pen is available in a bunch of colours and is made of acrylic. These pens are c/c and eyedropper convertible and have Schmidt nib units. It is available in fine, medium and broad.
I ordered their 'flaming orange' (quite a fancy name if you ask me!) version with broad nib and rounded ends. I must say that the pen sure does look stunning and writes equally well!

BODY
The pen's body is made of acrylic and looks quite nice. The quality of the acrylic is pretty good. The pen is completely hand-made. The surface has a bit of imperfections but since it is hand made, I have no problems. The acrylic has a lot of 'depth' which I could not capture well in the picture. The ASA logo is not clearly visible and one has to squint a bit to see it clearly. The cap is screw on type and takes 1 1/3 turns to fully unscrew.

NIB
The nib is a Schmidt Broad which writes more like a medium. It is quite smooth and has a bit of flex but it is almost negligible. It is a stainless steel nib.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-inIaxNypaNw/VjNIQFONgNI/AAAAAAAAAGs/V2cfyPRSyHo/s640/DSC_0007.JPG

This is actually a whole unit with a schmidt converter (optional).

SECTION
The section is shaped like the section of the ASA I can. It is extremely comfortable to hold and is well suited for long writing sessions. It too is made of the same Acrylic as the rest of the pen. The section can be seen in the above pic.
MEASUREMENTS
I compared the measurements with those on the ASA site and they seem pretty much the same.
Pen Length (Capped)
135mm
Pen Length (Un-capped)
100 mm (Excl Nib)
Pen Length (Un-capped)
120 mm (Incl Nib)
Section Length
25 mm
Cap Length
65 mm
Cap Dia
16 mm
Barrel Dia
14 mm
Section Dia
12 mm avg.
WRITING SAMPLE
The pen writes quite wet. I would rate the wetness to be 8/10. It is pretty smooth as well. In terms of smoothness, it will easily score 9/10. The ink used in this sample is parker quink blue and the paper was 70gsm century A4 sheet.
SUMMARY
I am quite pleased with the pen. The finish is quite nice and it writes pretty well also. I have no complains with this pen and it is currently my favorite! (They are not paying me to say all this, all the opinions are my own.)

Edited by crazyaboutpens

Watches + fountain pens = heaven! :wub:

Do visit my blogs:-

Watches-http://crazyaboutwatch.blogspot.in/ (run by my friend and I)

Pens-http://crazyaboutpens.blogspot.in/

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crazyaboutpens

• pensnproses

• mehandiratta

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a beautiful pen, enjoy!

(I'm still waiting for my pair, which will be eyedropper-filled and fitted with Ambitious nibs. They've just been shipped...)

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

These rainbows look so pretty! Lovely review and photography.

P.S. Your DP took back me to childhood when that Camlin bottle was out of reach and my sister used to ink her pens daily. I wonder why they changed the bottling to the circular one that is existent now.

Regards,

Pratik

Great review of a very attractive pen, with all the specifications included. The pen is a mite too short for me, as I write unposted and 130 mm+ is a much better length. As for color name, I would suggest (just having fun):

• Orange and black swirl
  • Moonlight and clouds
  • Persimmon shadows
  • Witches brew

That is a beautiful pen, enjoy!

(I'm still waiting for my pair, which will be eyedropper-filled and fitted with Ambitious nibs. They've just been shipped...)

Thanks! These rainbows are quite awesome! I hope you will enjoy yours!

These rainbows look so pretty! Lovely review and photography.

P.S. Your DP took back me to childhood when that Camlin bottle was out of reach and my sister used to ink her pens daily. I wonder why they changed the bottling to the circular one that is existent now.

Thanks!

I found this bottle of camlin green in a nearby stationery shop. A NOS bottle from 1986 still sealed and with the original box in mint condition, boy, I was surprised! Regarding the shape, I also feel that these older bottles are much cooler than the current one which I feel are 'boring'.

Great review of a very attractive pen, with all the specifications included. The pen is a mite too short for me, as I write unposted and 130 mm+ is a much better length. As for color name, I would suggest (just having fun):

• Orange and black swirl
  • Moonlight and clouds
  • Persimmon shadows
  • Witches brew

Thanks!

The pen is short, yes, but it does not feel so short. I too write unposted with my pens.

Nice names for the colours, very intersting! :)

Thanks!

I found this bottle of camlin green in a nearby stationery shop. A NOS bottle from 1986 still sealed and with the original box in mint condition, boy, I was surprised! Regarding the shape, I also feel that these older bottles are much cooler than the current one which I feel are 'boring'.

That's great. I have been looking around for Camlin Green ink for sometime in CG. I have failed so far, please tell me that shop has another bottle of camlin green ink. Also ask for Camlin Blue black I have found it to be a surprising good ink.

Regards,

Pratik

Very nice pen and good detailed review. I had couple of rainbows on wishlist. But was bit concerned about its short length. So decided to book couple of Naukas instead.

Congratulations on getting your Rainbow. This is a great pen and a true eye candy.

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma