jasonchickerson

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ0651.jpg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ0651-2.jpg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ0650.jpg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ0650%20copy.jpg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ6440_1.jpg

Valentine Card, Rouge Hematite with R&K Alt-goldgrün

Card is OCM Pure Cotton paper, Envelopes are OCM Classic Laid paper

In expectation of my bottle of Emeraude de Chivor arriving in the mail, I decided it was past time to review its sister, Rouge Hematite.

Rouge Hematite is a really interesting ink that I use almost exclusively for card-making. It simply dips better than any other ink out there and the green-gold sheen looks magical when you lay down a lot of ink. It is very staining, though, and ink gets on fingers and transfers back to paper terribly easily. I've ruined more than a few attempts through smudgery. As mentioned in the review, it smears, too.

I kept it in my daily carry Lamy 2000 for a few days while writing this review. Thankfully, the gold glitter does not come across strongly in that pen, so it can be used as any other red ink, and does a fine job at that. I have not had any problems with clogging. While I don't really enjoy using red on a daily basis, the performance of this one is quite good.

Care was taken to ensure color accuracy, but with an ink like this, where view angle and light source matter a great deal (see second and third pics), what you see may not be what you get when you try it for yourself.

EDIT TO ADD: I should point out that my bottle is the fourth iteration of Rouge Hematite, purchased from Goulet Pens toward the end of 2014.

Edited by jasonchickerson

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jasonchickerson

• mehandiratta

• Cyber6

• amberleadavis

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

I LOOOVE Rouge Hematite v1.... and your review makes me love it even MORE !!!!!!!!!

Thanks ... THANKS for a GORGEOUS review of a GORGEOUS Ink !!!!

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I LOOOVE Rouge Hematite v1.... and your review makes me love it even MORE !!!!!!!!!

Thanks ... THANKS for a GORGEOUS review of a GORGEOUS Ink !!!!

Thanks, C. I'm reviewing Maruzen Akane next. Then I'm back to KWZI... Your box of goodies is getting a lot of action this month.

This is a perfect ink except that it's a PITA to clean out of the pen!

Yes. It takes forever to get out of the nylon bristles of my waterbrush, which I use to do the color washes. Very staining.

I 'solve' the cleaning problem by keeping it exclusively in one pen which I flush through regularly to keep it clog free. The nib in my Swan SF130 suits it so well that even when I try another ink, I always go back to the rouge.

Looks like I might have to pick this one up, too. My first J. Herbin 1670 was Emerald of Chivor, which I love unreservedly -- and I'd love it even if they left out the particles, because of its color, shading, sheen, and unwillingness to feather or bleed. Sounds like Rouge Hematite is similarly fantastic. Many thanks for the great review.

Looks like I might have to pick this one up, too. My first J. Herbin 1670 was Emerald of Chivor, which I love unreservedly -- and I'd love it even if they left out the particles, because of its color, shading, sheen, and unwillingness to feather or bleed. Sounds like Rouge Hematite is similarly fantastic. Many thanks for the great review.

Having just tested Emerald of Chivor today, I can say that Rouge Hematite is much better than any of the other Anniversary series inks, including Chivor, in terms of behavior. If you like reds and don't mind cleaning a pen, just buy a bottle.

Thanks for the review. I have the original version, with the bigger gold flakes, so I'm glad to see what this formulation looks like.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I 'solve' the cleaning problem by keeping it exclusively in one pen which I flush through regularly to keep it clog free. The nib in my Swan SF130 suits it so well that even when I try another ink, I always go back to the rouge.

You're using Hematite in a sac filler? You are brave. I wouldn't let Hematite near my beloved vintage Conklin.

Thanks for the review. I have the original version, with the bigger gold flakes, so I'm glad to see what this formulation looks like.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thanks for the comment. I had forgotten to mention in the review which version of this ink I have. Updated now.

I have the more difficult to clean version 1, which I love, but I think I'll buy version 4 since mine is almost empty. I really love this ink and the gold particles.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

For what it is worth I have had Rouge Hematite in a Sheaffer No Nonsense pen exclusively for over a year. I have refilled the cartridge a few times but have NEVER experienced the firsts clog. I suspect mine to be the second "generation" which might have smaller flakes than the first but I purchased the pen for the sole purpose of having a pen to use this ink without worrying about damage. I use a MEDIUM Italic Sheaffer nib on the pen & I suspect it is actually broader than it's marking indicates. It suggests the same stroke as a Pilot 78G BB which it closely resembles (both "untipped" stub nibs.) Great ink, pleasing in this pen & quite trouble free for me. (I have Emerald of Chivor in an Online 1.4 Italic nib & Stormy Grey has been used in a Sheaffer Broad Italic as well without clogging issues either.)

Im a long time fan of JHerbin inks, I really like them, I wish they would come in better sizes. the 30ml I found it too small....