Review: Danitrio Mikado, Flat-Top, Ao Roiro-Migaki

rpsyed

Thank you!

Ooh, sweet! Which finishes did you get for the the three? How do the Genkai and Junikaku compare to a Mikado? The Yokozuna is awesome too, I'd really love to try one of those #50-size handmade nibs. I actually inquired to Danitrio about the Yokozuna around 6 months ago. They said they generally save Yokozuna pens for Maki-e and Chinkin but they will do basic paintings, like Tame-nuri or Roiro-Migaki, on request but it would be a lead time of several months. I think it would be better if they offered the #50 nib as an upgrade to the Mikado/Genkai pens and just charged several hundred dollars more. I remember reading Operadoc say in an old thread that Danitrio was looking into making the #50 available for the Genkai but those plans look to have fizzled out =/

I don't think Bock produces #50 type nibs.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rpsyed

• zaddick

• jandrese

• flipper_gv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think Bock produces #50 type nibs.

Yeah, the 380 #8 is the biggest Bock nib. The #50 Danitrio nib nib is used on the Yokozuna/Kyokuchi model. The nib and feed are handmade by a Japanese nibmeister. It hasn't been officially disclosed who the nibmeister is, but I'm almost certain it's Kubo Kohei.

Here's a couple theads about the #50 nib, if you're interested.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/66585-fathers-day-weekend-with-gojira/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/83181-gojira-godzilla-or-yokozunawhatever-you-call-it/

Edited by rpsyed

Yeah, the 380 #8 is the biggest Bock nib. The #50 Danitrio nib nib is used on the Yokozuna/Kyokuchi model. The nib and feed are handmade by a Japanese nibmeister. It hasn't been officially disclosed who the nibmeister is, but I'm almost certain it's Kubo Kohei.

Here's a couple theads about the #50 nib, if you're interested.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/66585-fathers-day-weekend-with-gojira/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/83181-gojira-godzilla-or-yokozunawhatever-you-call-it/

Do people write with those? Like pages of stuff? I mean they are gorgeous but I have a hard time seeing how could someone find these comfortable to use for more than half an hour.

Do people write with those? Like pages of stuff? I mean they are gorgeous but I have a hard time seeing how could someone find these comfortable to use for more than half an hour.

I have three pens with the large #50-sized nibs (but not the Yokozuna from Danitrio - yet). They are all on larger pens. I have not issue writing with them but I like larger girth pens as I can use a very relaxed grip and hold the pen as far back from the nib as I desire. Of course, each person is different, but most owners of the Namiki pens iwht the #50 report them to be comfortable writers. I have a harder time going down in girth as I tend to want to grip too hard.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I have three pens with the large #50-sized nibs (but not the Yokozuna from Danitrio - yet). They are all on larger pens. I have not issue writing with them but I like larger girth pens as I can use a very relaxed grip and hold the pen as far back from the nib as I desire. Of course, each person is different, but most owners of the Namiki pens iwht the #50 report them to be comfortable writers. I have a harder time going down in girth as I tend to want to grip too hard.

You've got three Emperors?!

Not quite. One Namiki #50, a Bexley Giant with the #12 nib, and a BB Pen that is basically the same as the Namiki but made of aluminum. The pens other than the Namiki are hard to find. I actually forgot I have two more pens with giant nibs, but neither are really suitable for writing.

I am sort of a sucker for pens with big nibs. :)

Not quite. One Namiki #50, a Bexley Giant with the #12 nib, and a BB Pen that is basically the same as the Namiki but made of aluminum. The pens other than the Namiki are hard to find. I actually forgot I have two more pens with giant nibs, but neither are really suitable for writing.

I am sort of a sucker for pens with big nibs. :)

I know of the Bexley Giant, which I'd love to own one day if I can ever find one for sale, but what is the BB pen? An aluminum pen with a #50 nib? It sounds really interesting.

I'm a sucker for big nib pens, too, though I don't have too many in my collection yet. It's growing though =]

In 1999 Bernard Bernolet published a book on high end limited edition fountain pens entitled "The List" with Marc Van der Stricht in Belgium. I think he is essentially a high end collector/dealer in Belgium. To commenorate the book launchhe comissioned some custom pens with #12 size nibs. I found on by chance and picked it up. There were supposed to have been 100 made, but I don't think they go that far before stopping. I have heard reports of 60 or 80 of the pens were actually made. There were also some that had the aluminum cap but an acrylic body. I have seen one or two for sale, but that's it. Very uncommon. Here are a few pics I had on my phone. I don't have a direct compasison with a Namiki, but they are the same size. The nib may be a little different shape, but the pen bodies are the same (or very close). The BB pen has a roll stopper and not a clip.

fpn_1460952526__20150907_115919_resized.

fpn_1460952564__20150907_120122_resized.

Goodness, that pen looks absolutely gorgeous! If you ever choose to sell it or want to trade, please let me know! Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Btw, could anyone recommend a good pen case that can accommodate a Danitrio Mikado? The Franklin-Christoph Penvelope 6 is supposed to fit pens as large as 7" tall; the Mikado is listed as being 6 3/8". Has anyone had a chance to see if it fits comfortably, width-wise?

The Visconti leather pen cases look nice as well. If anyone can comment on if it can fit a Mikado, I'd be very grateful.

I use a leather cigar case with a flap. It holds three pens and is somewhat rigid. No particular brand and I got it so long ago I cannot give you a specific recommendation on where to get one. I'll see if I can get a photo tomorrow.

I have a penvelope 13 and the Mikado is too wide as the loops are not really stretchable.

I use a leather cigar case with a flap. It holds three pens and is somewhat rigid. No particular brand and I got it so long ago I cannot give you a specific recommendation on where to get one. I'll see if I can get a photo tomorrow.

I have a penvelope 13 and the Mikado is too wide as the loops are not really stretchable.

Thank you very much for the info. I think it might be easier to commission a custom case.

In good news, Bryant says my pen is out for delivery to him so that it'll ship to me tomorrow, at the latest =]

Here is the case I was talking about. Today I had a sho-genkai instead of a Mikado, but the Mikados I have fit as the separators can pivot left or right.

fpn_1461129672__20160419_121314_resized.

fpn_1461129775__20160419_121332_resized.

Hope that helped a bit.

Thank you very much! Hopefully I can find a case that works. If not, I'll just stick with Taccia pen kimonos. They fit the Mikado, but just barely. I'm sure a Genkai would be too big for one of those.

The Sho-Genkai looks like a great pen. I apparently have terrible timing though. When I ordered my first Danitrio, and then this most recent one, I also asked about the Sho-Genkai. The first time it was available only in black Roiro or red Tame-nuri, the second time it wasn't available in basic urushi finishes at all.