Review: Danitrio Mikado, Flat-Top, Ao Roiro-Migaki

rpsyed

Review: Danitrio Mikado, Flat-Top, Ao Roiro-Migaki

http://i.imgur.com/8JfAAh0.jpg

I decided I needed to do a review because Danitrio doesn’t get much attention these days. Google searches show up lots of reviews for Danitrio pens but most are four- to ten-years-old. Danitrio has gone quite upscale since that time: In 2005, a raw ebonite Densho was available for under $200. The economical raw ebonite pens has been discontinued. The Kuro-Keshi line, also known as “recession urushi,” which involved putting a light layer of urushi on a ebonite pen and polishing it to a matte finish to resemble raw ebonite has also been discontinued. The result is that, presently, the Densho - the cheapest eyedropper-filler Danitrio makes - starts at $1,120 with Tamenuri or Roiro-Migaki finishes. The Mikado starts at just under $1300. Understandably, Nakaya pens - which start at $450 for some finishes on the Deskpen model and $550 for most basic models - seems to have become the urushi pen of choice for most buyers. I love urushi. Ever since I first saw pictures of them on the Fountain Pen Network, I knew I’d one day want to own an urushi fountain pen. The simple designs, and beautiful lacquer, of many Nakaya and Danitrio pens were incredibly attractive to me. A Nakaya Piccolo was my first urushi pen. That was followed by a Hakumin/Edison Pearl. Danitrio pens have long been on my radar for over a year now, and I’ve come close to buying one several times but, at the last minute, I’ve always ended up with something else - an urushi Hakumin/Edison, a Romillo, a Shawn Newton custom.

Softwood Danitrio box

http://i.imgur.com/a7PWBqW.jpg

Danitro has a wide range of pens and have up until recently four different nib sizes for all their models - #5, #6, #8, and a massive, handmade #50 nib for their Yokozuna/Kyokuchi collection. They’ve recently discontinued the model that took the #5 nib, which was known as the Hanryo. While I love my Nakaya Piccolo, I’ve always found the section to be a bit thinner than I prefer and the converter filling system, while practical and functional, leaves something to be desired. Danitrio offers bigger pens, bigger nibs (on certain models), and eyedroppers with shut-off valves - also known as a Japanese eyedropper. Here is a diagram that Danitrio has on their website showing how the shut-valve works. Presently, Danitrio, Namiki on their Emperor line, and Eboya are the only companies making this filling system.

Danitrio Mikado Ao Roiro-Migaki in regular light.

http://i.imgur.com/shzwUVo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WitFaUO.jpg

First, I had to narrow down all the pen models Danitrio makes to find the one I wanted. I knew I wanted a Japanese eyedropper filling system on my pen. That narrowed down the list of pens to either a Densho, Mikado, Sho-Genkai, Genkai, Bamboo, or Junikaku. The Densho is the cheapest eyedropper available but I ruled that pen out because the #8 size nib was more appealing to me than the #6 size nib the Densho has. Based on size and my personal aesthetic preferences I further narrowed it down to the Sho-Genkai and the clipless, flat-top version of the Mikado. The final decision was made for me when I learned that the Sho-Genkai was only in-stock with Danitrio in Black Roiro-Migaki or Red (Shu) Tamenuri.

Danitrio Mikado Ao Roiro-Migaki in bright light.

http://i.imgur.com/9F7CNUZ.jpg

Comparison with other pens

http://i.imgur.com/zSy700H.jpg

Top to bottom: Nakaya Piccolo, Romillo Eo #9, Shawn Newton Orville - medium-size, Eboya Kyouka - medium-size, Edison/Hakumin Karanuri urushi Pearl, Danitrio Mikado Flat-top

http://i.imgur.com/eNG1Xcf.jpg

Nakaya's Kuro-tamenuri on the left, Danitrio's Ao Roiro-Migaki in the middle, and Hakumin's Karanuri lacquerwork on an Edison Pearl on the right.

My Nakaya is in a tamenuri finish, which involves a base color with layers of translucent brown urushi applied over it. The result is a deep rich brown or black color with the base color peeking out at the edges of the cap, barrel. Faceted pens, like the Nakaya Decapod or the Danitrio Hakkaku, show tamenuri finishes off to the greatest effect. Roiro-Migaki is the term used for lacquerware that is made using oil-free urushi, and then burnished with charcoal powder. The final polishing is done with tsunoko - a powder made from dehydrated and incinerated deer antler. It results in a spectacular shine. So lustrous that the pen looks faceted because of how it reflects light. Roiro-Migaki in Ao (blue) was the choice for my Mikado.

http://i.imgur.com/bK7Znna.jpg

First thing I noticed: this pen is humongous. I knew it would be big from all the pictures I’ve seen of it but it’s a different feeling to be able to see it person. You’d think it was be heavy and unwieldy at the the size it is. That couldn’t be further from the truth. It’s made of ebonite and coated with urushi lacquer, and it’s an eyedropper-filler with shut-off valve. The ebonite construction and the absence of heavy internal components makes it light pen. The urushi work is immaculately done. Urushi is well known for being beautiful but, in some ways, what’s even more important is the tactile sensation. Like ebonite, urushi really needs to be touched and felt to appreciate it fully.

http://i.imgur.com/jOvnkH0.jpg

The nib on this pen is simply awesome: it’s big, it has a gorgeous imprint, reliable ebonite feed. What else could you ask for? I purchased my pen from Classic Fountain Pens and John Mottishaw tuned it to be wet and wonderfully smooth. Danitrio has one of the largest nib offering of any company I know of, which is pretty impressive considering Danitrio is a relatively small company. They offer #6 size nibs in Soft Extra Extra Fine, Soft Extra Fine, Soft Fine, Soft Medium, Soft Broad, and Soft Stub. Stiff nibs are also available in Fine, Medium, and Stub. The #8 nibs (roughly Montblanc 149-sized) are available in Soft Fine, Soft Medium, Soft Broad, and Soft Stub. The stiff #8 nibs have been fazed out. Truly massive #50-size nibs are also offered on the Yokozuna line. The nib on the Mikado is the soft #8 size nib. While not vintage flex by any means, it is springy and just a joy to write with. One of my favorite nibs I own.

http://i.imgur.com/ZWe2HUa.jpg

When I first got it, I inked it up with Sailor Yama-dori and found it to be just insanely wet and writing much broader than I anticipated. After a thorough cleaning and a re-inking with Sailor Souten, the line width is much more in line with what I expect. With an undertow of feedback on the butter-smooth nib, the nib just glides over the paper. The imprint on the nib is very elegant. The kanji in the circle of the nib imprint means “Mikado” - the Japanese word for “Emperor.” The filling system consists of a cavernous ink reservoir, with a rod running through it. At the end of the rod is a seal which shuts off the supply of ink to the feed when the blind cap is closed. While there is enough ink in the feed for short notes, extended writing requires opening the blind cap one or two turns. This system of eyedropper filling with shut-off is a distinctly Japanese design, and was so popular in vintage Japanese pens that the system today is just called “Japanese eyedropper.” The Danitrio eyedropper system is reliable and provides assurances against any leaks, which is quite comforting given the pen holds 3+ ml of ink.

Diagram of Danitrio's Japanese eyedropper system

http://i.imgur.com/Rnd2VPn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qeI3y01.jpg

One unique aspect of Danitrio urushi is that they have their Maki-e artists do the plain urushi pens. This is in contrast with Nakaya, where urushi craftsman do the urushi pens and Maki-e artists do the Maki-e pens. Because Danitrio urushi pens are lacquered by Maki-e artists, the pens all bear the signature of the artist. I really like that aspect of the pen. My Hakumin/Edison also bears the signature of Ernest Shin and it really drives home that handmade nature of the pen. Each time I write with it, the signature makes me visualize the artist who painstakingly lacquered, and then even more painstakingly polished, this pen to perfection. It really brings out the human element and connects you the artist. I wish Nakaya pens would start featuring the signature of the urushi craftsman.

Writing sample with Sailor Souten, #8 18k Danitrio Fine nib

http://i.imgur.com/5XfYN1W.jpg

Danitrio’s choice of lacquer artists also accounts for the price difference between Danitrio and Nakaya urushi pens: Maki-e artists are much more highly trained than urushi craftsman and using master Maki-e artists is more expensive, thus the higher cost. When it come to value/cost, this is going to be a tough decision for many. For those who don’t care about the filling system or the lacquer work, the pen probably seems insanely overpriced. As far as I’m concerned, a hand-turned ebonite pen, coated with urushi by a master Maki-e artist, with Japanese eyedropper filling system, and oversized gold nib for $1,300 is a bargain. It certainly won’t be my last Danitrio. A Mikado or Sho-Genkai in one of those luscious Hanazono, or “Garden,” collection finishes keeps calling my name . . .

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rpsyed

• zaddick

• jandrese

• flipper_gv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great review. Thank you for taking the time and effort to add a lot of color to these lovely pens. Thanks to FPN, my appreciation and collection of Danitrio pens has grown and I am always happy to see more pictures and reviews here.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Great review. Thank you for taking the time and effort to add a lot of color to these lovely pens. Thanks to FPN, my appreciation and collection of Danitrio pens has grown and I am always happy to see more pictures and reviews here.

Thank you!

Also, thank you for your advice when I was looking into a Danitrio pen a couple months back.

Thanks for the review. The Box is also quite simpler now in Paulownia wood? The earlier boxes were piano finished behemoths. The Mikado is certainly a bargain if you consider the Namiki plain Urushis.

Having the Namiki #50 as well as the Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, I have found that the ED shutoff systems are vastly different between the two. I would be interested in reading your long term report if you ever post it.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Very good review and a gorgeous pen. The group photo reveals just how huge this pen is! I look forward to seeing it at our Pen Posse gathering.

David

Look great. Thank you for the review. I would need the baby version.

You're welcome! Yeah .. it's pretty massive.

Thanks for the review. The Box is also quite simpler now in Paulownia wood? The earlier boxes were piano finished behemoths. The Mikado is certainly a bargain if you consider the Namiki plain Urushis.

Having the Namiki #50 as well as the Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, I have found that the ED shutoff systems are vastly different between the two. I would be interested in reading your long term report if you ever post it.

Best

Hari

Yeah, I saw a bunch of pictures of the old box from reading older reviews here. The older box looked nicer. The new box is just like the Nakaya box, with slightly different dimensions.

The Namiki #50 nib looks absolutely amazing. The current price of over $2000 is more than I'd be willing to spend, though, especially since I prefer flat-tops and clipless pens. If they make a vermilion urushi in the flat-top Emperor model, I'd have trouble resisting.

Very good review and a gorgeous pen. The group photo reveals just how huge this pen is! I look forward to seeing it at our Pen Posse gathering.

David

Thank you! I'll also have a new Shawn Newton pen to bring to Pen Posse this weekend =]

• 3 weeks later...

This is all your fault.

Instant Danitriogratification via nibs.com, a near mint pre-owned "Mae West."

I must be outta my mind.

post-112385-0-86513300-1447716836_thumb.jpeg

Best

Hari

As I mentioned in my recent review of the Dani Takumi they still use the big lacquered boxes, but only for pens costing over $3K.

Thanks for the nice review of a good pen. Love those big nibs. Don't know about Nakaya being the urushi pen of choice just based on the price. Would like to see some data on that. Anecdotal reports suggest that Nakaya has gotten very busy. Dani has always operated on their own schedule and production process, which is quite different than that used by Nakaya. I have some of both. Objectively hard to choose between them. Usually end up reaching for Dani though.

This is all your fault.

Instant Danitriogratification via nibs.com, a near mint pre-owned "Mae West."

I must be outta my mind.

Ooh, goodness! That is stunning! The Mae West shape looks fantastic. I'll gladly take the blame for that =p I assume you'll be bringing this to December's meeting? =]

Thanks for the nice review of a good pen. Love those big nibs. Don't know about Nakaya being the urushi pen of choice just based on the price. Would like to see some data on that. Anecdotal reports suggest that Nakaya has gotten very busy. Dani has always operated on their own schedule and production process, which is quite different than that used by Nakaya. I have some of both. Objectively hard to choose between them. Usually end up reaching for Dani though.

Your welcome! Yeah, it would be difficult to find hard data on something like that, but from a preliminary look at FPN, reddit, Facebook, FPGeeks, and other online pen groups, Nakaya seems far more represented in more recent posts.

Ooh, goodness! That is stunning! The Mae West shape looks fantastic. I'll gladly take the blame for that =p I assume you'll be bringing this to December's meeting? =]

Yup. :D

No original box though. I actually don't know how old it is, should have asked. It doesn't have one of those nifty signatures on it.

Yup. :D

No original box though. I actually don't know how old it is, should have asked. It doesn't have one of those nifty signatures on it.

Hmm ... I would guess it's probably from 5-8 years old. I bet if you emailed Danitrio, they could tell you for sure. I can't wait to see it! The Mae West/Hyotan shape looks so comfortable and ergonomic.

• 1 month later...

Any updates on how you are getting along with this pen? Comparisons to your Eboya ED? I just pulled out my Ao Roiro-migaki Densho and it reminded me of this review.

Really getting along well! It's also strange how quickly I've gotten used to the size. I remember thinking it was huge -- and it is, but it seems so easy to hold. The Eboya is a bit more practical though. One thing I do wish though is that the Danitrio nib wrote a little finer.

I'm stilling thinking if I should get another Danitrio, like a red Mikado or Sho-Genkai, or a red Namiki Emperor. The Emperor is a little more expensive and I usually prefer clipless pens, but man that nib looks really special!

How do feel now that you gotten to use both the Danitrio and Namiki Emperor?

• 2 months later...

Well, I may be crazy, but I just ordered a second Danitrio Flat-Top Mikado, without clip, in Shu (red) Roiro-Migaki, with a fine nib. I already have a Ao (blue) Roiro-Migaki Flat-Top Mikado and have long wanted another Danitrio. Sho-Genkai wasn't available in the plain finishes at the moment, and I'm most interested in the #8 nibs, flat-top, and eyedropper filling system. That left the Flat-Top Mikado, as the Genkai and Junikaku are just crazy big.

So it'll be this shape ...

http://i.imgur.com/D9Vs62v.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qnhp5uZ.jpg

But in the bright red Roiro-Migaki urushi, like this ...

http://i.imgur.com/R4PtegW.jpg

I can't wait!

I initially thought about getting it with the Hanazono Grass Green urushi, but I have a black/green mottled Romillo and a green celluloid Hakase on order so I figured I'd branch out for more variety.

http://danitrio.com/hanazono/GN-210.jpg

That grass green is really pretty though ... maybe next year.

http://www.danitrio.com/hanazono/GN-202.jpg

The Hanazono Gingko is gorgeous too! Some really unique urushi colors in the Hanazono collection.

So currently waiting on three pens. A black/green mottled Romillo Narcea #9 due later this month, a green celluloid Hakase due in January 2017, and a Danitrio Flat-Top Mikado in Shu Roiro-Migaki due in a week or two.

Great choice on another Mikado! I thought long about a clipless flat top in ki-dame, but since I already have a Takumi in that finish I passed. I ended up getting a Mikado in the cherry bark finish (sakurakawa-nuri) in red. I also am a sucker for the larger nib Dani pens and also recently bought a Sho-genkai, Genkai, and Junikaku. I am not crazy about the bamboo shape, so the flat top Mikado and the Yokozuna are the few remaining big nibbed pens on my buy list.

Great choice on another Mikado! I thought long about a clipless flat top in ki-dame, but since I already have a Takumi in that finish I passed. I ended up getting a Mikado in the cherry bark finish (sakurakawa-nuri) in red. I also am a sucker for the larger nib Dani pens and also recently bought a Sho-genkai, Genkai, and Junikaku. I am not crazy about the bamboo shape, so the flat top Mikado and the Yokozuna are the few remaining big nibbed pens on my buy list.

Thank you!

Ooh, sweet! Which finishes did you get for the the three? How do the Genkai and Junikaku compare to a Mikado? The Yokozuna is awesome too, I'd really love to try one of those #50-size handmade nibs. I actually inquired to Danitrio about the Yokozuna around 6 months ago. They said they generally save Yokozuna pens for Maki-e and Chinkin but they will do basic paintings, like Tame-nuri or Roiro-Migaki, on request but it would be a lead time of several months. I think it would be better if they offered the #50 nib as an upgrade to the Mikado/Genkai pens and just charged several hundred dollars more. I remember reading Operadoc say in an old thread that Danitrio was looking into making the #50 available for the Genkai but those plans look to have fizzled out =/