Is This Safari A Fake? (With Pics)

mellowdium

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Safari off eBay despite hearing stories of fakes because I am a broke college student and I figured that since the seller was based in the US and has their own website that seems reputable it shouldn't be a problem (the company is called Thorton's Luxury Goods). When my pen arrived, I noticed that the slits on the box were wider than the slits on the box my Al-Star came in, and the slits also had rounded corners whereas my Al-Star's box had sharp corners. The box also did not have a white sticker on it like my Al-Star, and one of the edges slightly sticks out.

post-125916-0-71287700-1445805350_thumb.jpg

Safari box on the left, Al-Star on the right.

post-125916-0-32046600-1445805489_thumb.jpg

Safari box on the left. Notice how the slits are wider and have rounded corners.

post-125916-0-17323700-1445806394_thumb.jpg

Notice how the top left edge sticks out slightly.

When I opened the box, the pen did not have a sticker on it, whereas my Al-Star had a sticker on it. There was also no documentation in the box, but on the other hand, my Al-Star also did not have documentation in the box, so I am not sure if this is normal.

When I compare the writing of the fine nib on my Safari to the writing on my fine Al-Star, the Safari's writing seems to sometimes be a little thinner than the Al-Star, but I wonder if that is due to me writing slightly differently. The nib is also sometimes very very slightly scratchy.

post-125916-0-20118400-1445805899_thumb.jpg

Picture of the nib

post-125916-0-89296900-1445806440_thumb.jpg

More pictures

The O ring on my Safari turns freely when I twist it.

Is my Safari a fake?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mellowdium

• mmg122

• prashant.tikekar

• Cole_Phelps

The o-ring turns freely on all safaris, despite the very old first generation ones from the early 1980s. Could you post some pictures of the cross of the cap and nib section of your al-star compared to the safari? :)

Hi Mellowdium...Did the one you suspect is fake come with a cartridge or convertor? If cartridge, what color ink?

So far, the nib slits on both appear properly placed...center and extends to breather hole.

The Lamy imprint appears crisp and appropriately deep.

The cross imprint on both cap ends appear similar but interestingly don't extend to edge on either pen.

The nib imprints appear appropriate.

As far as documentation, both pens should have come with filling instructions, warranty, etc.

I'm not sure that the boxes will tell us anything but I can see your concern with the differences you outlined.

Are the nibs in the section pretty tight or is one or the other loose fitting?

Are you sure the Al Star is legit? (I just threw in this question to mess with you)

Edited by mmg122

BTW, Mellowdium, I don't know what you paid on EBay but the Lamy Charcoal Safari runs $5. cheaper on Amazon than Thornton's sale price ($27.). I think they're running about $22. on Amazon.

As far as I can see this pen seems to be legit. As already mentioned both nibs look original, the two cross caps also do.

Here (Germany) no safari comes with filling instructions or a manual, they just come with spare T-10 Lamy Ink cartridge.

About the legit al-star I have to mention that I've never heard about a fake al-star before, so I assume it's a real one.

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to reply.

My Safari came with a cartridge, and it seems to be dark blue but I have not used it yet because I prefer using a converter.

Both pens did not come with any documentation, but Cole wrote that it is possible for a Lamy to not have documentation, so I'm not so worried about that now.

In terms of nib tightness, the Al-Star is very tight. It took some time before I even loosened it. The Safari is also tight, but not as tight as the Al-Star. I switched the nibs and they fit on each other. I read somewhere that fake pens are not compatible with real nibs, so this is convincing evidence that my pens are real.

I ordered my Al-Star from jet.com, and my order was fulfilled by ipenstore based in Michigan. I checked out their website and it seems pretty legit. It also states that they are authorized dealers of all brands they sell. I bought the Al-Star for $31.37 and a pack of 2 converters of $6.9, which is on the cheaper side but still a reasonable price so I don't think that it is a fake, although it is a bit odd that it did not come with documentation. The pen writes very smoothly though; it is never scratchy and seems real.

The Safari on the other hand I paid $20 for and it came with free shipping, which was what sealed the deal for me because if I had ordered it from goulet or something it would have been more expensive and I would have to pay for shipping on top of that.

If my Safari is a fake it's a pretty convincing one, although I have to admit these two pens are the only Lamy pens I have ever handled before. However at this point all signs seem to suggest these pens are real.

The pens certainly look legitimate but that box on the left looks odd. My boxes (Charocal Safari and a Copperorange Al Star both look like the box on right in your image with identical, uniform slots with square edges. That could be easily down to a different supplier to Lamy or machine. It would be odd to me if they could duplicate a pen so precisely but failed to get the cardboard box slots correct.

Both of my Lamy boxes have the white sticker. The Safari sticker is around the side and onto the end flap while the Copperorange is on the side of the box.

Can you look for the black text on the Safari box "www.lamy.com Made In Germany" ?

Edited by Steelblue

I think both pens are authentic. I don't know about the boxes though. Half of mine never started with a white sticker, and of those that did, it came off very easily.

Look at " Germany" word !!!!

dont compare those boxes.

Feel the plastic of the pen.

WhatsApp me at +65 93682205 For Faster Reply

http://goo.gl/GAvll Classified Sales in FPN

http://stores.ebay.com/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store USA

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store UK

Old Sale Thread with Feedbacks From Customers.

I was just about to agree with you all until I tried taking off the nibs. As I mentioned earlier, I switched the nibs on my Safari and Al-Star just to see if they fit, and they did. However, when I tried taking them off the Safari nib came right off my Al-Star with barely any force needed, but the Al-Star nib took me five minutes to remove from the Safari because it was so tight. I also noticed that the nib on my Safari is a little scratchy when I write with it, and it writes thinner than my Al-Star. I will post a writing sample later when I find the time.

I really do thing that you're worrying too much.

The difference in boxes is insignificant. Most places buy the box from the lowest bidder. Sheaffer has had multiple gift boxes over the years,sometimes even for the same model. A difference in the cut of the slits in an item that is most likely going to be tossed is not something that I would worry about. More of a case of "hum, they changed the box."

Though a good one, this is a low end pen, so I would expect minor variations in quality control. How tight the nib fits on the pen is again, not a significant issue. They'll vary from pen to pen. I really don't see anything that even remotely suggests that either pen isn't genuine.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

They look authentic. I buy my Lamys in shops and the card boxes can look really different. That is normal. Some nibs can be switched easily, some not. That is normal too. It is a cheap fountain pen in a cheap box, so there are not all the same. And the nibs are always a hit and miss. Some of my ef nibs write wider than the b nibs. That is normal for Lamy too.

By the way: The engraving on the Lamy Safari nib looks also authentic. Never seen a copy with the "real" engraving. They don't get the color right.

They doesn't seem to be fakes. As regards the filling instruction/warranty card, here (in India) also some time they come without any papers, only the cart comes along. From what I have experienced, nib fitting may also vary from pen to pen.

I see no reason to be tense about them being fakes. Enjoy :)

They doesn't seem to be fakes. As regards the filling instruction/warranty card, here (in India) also some time they come without any papers, only the cart comes along. From what I have experienced, nib fitting may also vary from pen to pen.

I see no reason to be tense about them being fakes. Enjoy :)

I totally disagree. I have about 18 Lamys purchased(from 2008 till date) from store and online around 50 50% here in India (Pune) and all came with certificate of being manufactured and tested at Heidelberg plant and warranty certificate duly stamped mentioning date of purchase and model no. Edited by prashant.tikekar

I totally disagree. I have about 18 Lamys purchased(from 2008 till date) from store and online around 50 50% here in India (Pune) and all came with certificate of being manufactured and tested at Heidelberg plant and warranty certificate duly stamped mentioning date of purchase and model no.

But were they the lower end Safari? Or a higher end Lamy?

John L

But were they the lower end Safari? Or a higher end Lamy?

Not only lower end. Safaris, Al Stars, St, Studios, Logo, Linea, 2000 morkolon all came with such certificate and warranty

Hi, The few Safari's and Nexx I own all came from shops that are long-time Lamy dealers, so I'm certain I don't have any fakes.

One detail that does seem to be consistant (as far as I know) is the placing of the breather hole in the nib. The fakes appear to be too far forward.

Looking at the nib from the side; this is an authentic Lamy medium nib.

Your pens look to be the real thing to me, but there have been so many fakes appear on this forum, it's worth asking the question, I would too.