Mystery German Pen...help Id Pls!

TXKat

Hi there,

I am needing your expertise to help identify a German pen I purchased at the Dallas Pen Show. The pen, in the box with directions in German, is a wonderfully flexy, smooth writer, but that's as far as I know! :D I do know it's a Fine Feather Quill with Ink Control...(Bottom pen above it's box.)

It looks similar to early Pelikans and to early Kawecos, but I can't seem to find any hints! The writing on the cap is even hard to decipher.

Any ideas? I did take a photo of the directions (all in German), but i've not uploaded yet.

Help...please....

fpn_1444094637__20151002_1742032.jpg

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TXKat

• Bo Bo Olson

• mhguda

• whych

That looks like the German WW2-era pens sold by Lexaf (Lex van Galen). I'm not sure what he calls them, I've seen them called Edel (and I think it's because of the nib). It's a piston filler, right? He had a trunk full, and restored them painstakingly. Yours is in top condition, much better looking than he had...

You can find him more often on fpgeeks these days. Good luck figuring it out. I'd really love to know what the writing on the cap says... but it's bound to be something meaningful to the original owner of the pen.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

It's not what he's selling. I have one, (found by my self) the chasing is deep and sharp. That one shows more 'Vac' influence....but is mid to late 30's.

Need the nib to see if there is a name or what company made the nib. As explained.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks for the input thus far. I'm sure this is not a fancy, albeit beautiful, example of a no name pen. The nib is an Edel chromstahl 1 Qual nib, but my photo on the phone is blurry. Will have to take another and pen isn't here. The nib is yummy, flexy and fun to write with for sure.

Here are the directions that came with the pen. I have no clue what it's trying to tell me! ;)

fpn_1445865246__german_directions.jpg

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

Filling and cleaning instructions... Bo Bo?

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Well, in those times there have been so many pen manufacturers in Germany (should be far more than 50) that it's hardly possible to tell exactly where such a generic design comes from without more information.

Here are the directions that came with the pen. I have no clue what it's trying to tell me! ;)

The usual stuff.

1. Filling: Take of the cap, immerse in ink, screw left than backwards, wipe it.

2. Cleaning: with water instead of ink, don't disassemble it but have it done by a professional

such things. just the standard stuff.

Greetings,

Michael

• 3 months later...

TXKat,

I have (or had?) the exact same pen (late 30's/early 40's German "Star" piston filler... though yours is in better condition than mine. Mine required replacement of the cork, which is very easy/straightforward for this pen... If I recall, the piston shaft has nothing on the end to 'retain' the cork seal; it's just held in place w/ a dab of rubber cement. I seem to recall mine has a pleasant steel semi-flex nib on it (so typical of the German pens of that time - maybe steel Degussa?).

I suspect that this was one of those German pens made by a larger concern, but sold at any number of mom & pop stationers, as was common in Germany pre-'45. I never could find out which of the larger companies may have made it.

Got to have a sharp picture of the nib.

Degussa made a lot of nibs, Rupp too. Both from Heidelberg. Osmia sold it's nib 'factory' to Degussa which wanted to move it to Pfortzheim, but the workers wouldn't move. 1932. Rupp made nibs from 1922. Both stopped in @ 1970.

Luxor and Herlitz also made pens and nibs in Heidelberg...My Luxor nib is a nail and my Herlitz nibs are semi-nails. So I doubt if yours is either.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks, Don Jr. and Bo Bo! I love this little pen and it writes like a dream!

Glad that someone else has seen this one before and that I haven't completely gone off my rocker.

I will try and get a clear photo of the nib and feed this evening!

Thanks again, fo helping with this. I had writen it off as an complete mystery...that I enjoy using! :D

Edited by TXKat

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

These were commonly called "schulllerfreunds" (litterary means school friends) regardless of the brand. They were large scale made and distributed pens.

Yours is a beauty!

Edited by fountainpagan

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Here is the nib photo.

I am also wondering if the nib is sprung. It's very soft. I bought at a show from a reputable person.

fpn_1455858547__20160218_224704-01-01.jp

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)