Oblique Pen Inkwell?

httpmom

Trying to find an inkwell appropriate for use with an oblique pen holder. Looking for something heavy and wide mouthed, obviously but also not so deep as to require 2-3 bottles of ink on hand to keep it filled to the brim. Right now I am using sake cups, but they have no heft and I always fear I will knock it over.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks!

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• httpmom

• ThyPenMaker

• caliken

• ac12

This one uses dinky dips. Not particularly elegant but they get the job done and are easy to fill.

Are these plastic or glass? Didn't know they came in large.

Thanks

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

I use the little glass jars which originally held very small quantities of jam. They are available at many cafes and restaurants and have secure lids.

For inkwells (without lids) I find that heavy, small, glass candle holders ideal as they take a reasonable amount of ink, are wide necked and solid enough to avoid accidents.

I don't use plastic containers as they are much lighter than glass and are far more likely to be knocked over.

Ken

Edited by Ken Fraser

I use the little glass jars which originally held very small quantities of jam. They are available at many cafes and restaurants and have secure lids.

For inkwells (without lids) I find that heavy, small, glass candle holders ideal as they take a reasonable amount of ink, are wide necked and solid enough to avoid accidents.

I don't use plastic containers as they are much lighter than glass and are far more likely to be knocked over.

Ken

Ken,

Of course I know the jam jars you speak of and they would be great! They may even be air tight enough for air travel (because they have that sucking action that happens when you close it, another plus.

Thanks, this is sooooo helpful!!!

Of course I know the jam jars you speak of and they would be great! They may even be air tight enough for air travel (because they have that sucking action that happens when you close it, another plus.

There another aspect to these little jars which is very helpful. Unlike conventional screw-on caps which can be really messy to put on and take off, these caps attach at four points with a quarter turn. In my experience they are absolutely secure and are yet very easy to remove. This is an enlargement; the diameter of the lid is 1 3/4". Being glass, they are heavier than plastic and are therefore more stable.

As an added bonus, you get the jam, which makes them really cost-effective! :rolleyes:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/jar%20900.jpg

Edited by Ken Fraser

I have the stainless steel Mcaffrey inkwells sold by Paper and Ink Arts (they also come in brass) and they're great. Made for oblique holders, pretty much impossible to tip over, good looking, and well made. Expensive, but.

There are also the metal inkwells made by Artemscribendi and sold on Etsy. I couldn't see any listed right now, but email him and ask about them. I've not personally handled them, but they look nice and (last time I saw) were a bit cheaper than the Mcaffrey inkwells.

I use the same Speedball jar that Micheal Sull distributes in class. FLAX sells them in packs of 6. Because they are low, it is pretty difficult to knock them over. You can also make a wooden holder for them, to make it even harder to knock over. I use the Speedball jars because I can load up a LOT of different inks, so it is easy to switch ink colors.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I've been considering boring a tight hole in a 1x4 pine board to put the Speedball jar into for this very reason. Love that McAffrey inkwell.

"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr

I have the stainless steel Mcaffrey inkwells sold by Paper and Ink Arts (they also come in brass) and they're great. Made for oblique holders, pretty much impossible to tip over, good looking, and well made. Expensive, but.

I have two - one brass and one stainless steel. Excellent products, but as you say, expensive. They are a bit of an indulgence!

Ken,

I would look at someplace that sells craft supplies (like Michael's -- or Pat Catan's if you have one near you) for jars like that -- that way you don't have to deal with sterilizing the jars and lids after finishing the jam (unless you're used to doing canning, of course).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sterilizing is easy, stick it in the microwave half full of water and boil the water for 3 minutes. Done.

"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr

I would look at someplace that sells craft supplies (like Michael's -- or Pat Catan's if you have one near you) for jars like that -- that way you don't have to deal with sterilizing the jars and lids after finishing the jam (unless you're used to doing canning, of course).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

I was able to get a few with Devonshire double Cream in them....yum. And I will do the microwave trick. Then save up for a fancy one!

Edited by httpmom

Speaking of fancy one, I suppose everyone has trotted over to Ebay and perused the antique ones, I can't believe how cheap they are. I'll wager they aren't that cheap in 5 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of fancy one, I suppose everyone has trotted over to Ebay and perused the antique ones, I can't believe how cheap they are. I'll wager they aren't that cheap in 5 years.

Started out on eBay but most of the old ones have very large ink capacity, meaning you have to keep 2-3 bottles of ink on hand to dip the pen. As you say some are very attractive. The jam jar solution is working just fine for me now.

Started out on eBay but most of the old ones have very large ink capacity, meaning you have to keep 2-3 bottles of ink on hand to dip the pen. As you say some are very attractive. The jam jar solution is working just fine for me now.

The 2-3 bottle ink requirement I didn't know about. But it makes sense, It's awful easy to tag the bottom of a Pelican Ink bottle.

The 2-3 bottle ink requirement I didn't know about. But it makes sense, It's awful easy to tag the bottom of a Pelican Ink bottle.

With a dip pen you need to have the ink filled almost to the top in order to fill the nib with enough ink to cover the air hole, otherwise it won't write...if your container is wide it means you need more ink to keep it topped off as it were