Comparing The Platinum President And Montblanc 147.

jar

I thought it might be fun to compare a couple iconic pens, one Western, one Eastern. The two I chose this time are the Platinum President and the Montblanc 147.

The Platinum President is a resin bodied pen with an 18K two tone gold nib that fills using proprietary cartridges and converters that have a wider throat than even the Parker standard. Their cartridges do not seem to hold much ink, less even than the small International standard cartridges but the Platinum converter seems to hold about 1.5ml which is right inline with Parker, Sheaffer and the International standard converters and more than many piston filled fountain pens.

The Montblanc 147 is also resin bodied but has a 14K (18k in some markets) two tone nib that fills with cartridge only. No known converter will work with the 147. Cartridges load into a carrier and the whole carrier is inserted into the body. It does use International short cartridges and hold two, giving it about 1.5-1.6ml capacity.

147 showing the carrier from the front.

http://www.fototime.com/A296DEFD0FAA054/large.jpg

and from the rear showing the indent that keeps cartridges in place when only one is inserted but also keeps us from using a converter.

http://www.fototime.com/FDDE811A7E35BBB/large.jpg

The two pens are almost the same length and width and the Montblanc 147 just a hair heavier (likely the metal carrier). The Platinum President with a Platinum converter filled weighs 25.8g while the Montblanc with two cartridges weighs 26.5g.

http://www.fototime.com/34E1680F420FEE9/large.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/784B0EDCBCC4D10/large.jpg

The Platinum President is fitted with their double broad "C" nib while the Montblanc 147 has a broad nib.

http://www.fototime.com/2494EEC5930D17D/large.jpg

I do love wet nibs but the one on the Platinum President is a real gusher, maybe too wet even for me. I will switch inks soon to see if that helps. The Montblanc nib is near perfect with all the characteristics of a nice stub nib. Both are super smooth, reliable and forgiving but the Montblanc offers a slight amount of line variation totally missing from the President.

Visually I find the Montblanc nib prettier, but that is certainly subjective. Fit and finish are perfect on both.

http://www.fototime.com/AFA56BE0D594C97/xlarge.jpg

The two pens post securely, are balanced, totally reliable and about equal. I may get the nib on the President stubbed but it's fine as is.

I would find it hard to chose between the two.

My Website

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• zaddick

• bdanh1989

• Precise

Thank you Jar for this useful comparison. It helps to see comparison pictures of popular pens.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

• 4 months later...

Jar. You can reduce the wetness of any pen by squeezing the ears of the nib together. I recommend using a vise or a micrometer. Line the jaws with cardboard. Close jaws until they gently press on the ears of the nib, then close about another .015". Check flow, and repeat if needed.

The process is reversible by laying the top (arc) of the upside-down nib on a block of wood, then pressing on the ears with a couple of sticks as if to open the arc.

I've done this to many pens.

Alan

Jar. You can reduce the wetness of any pen by squeezing the ears of the nib together. I recommend using a vise or a micrometer. Line the jaws with cardboard. Close jaws until they gently press on the ears of the nib, then close about another .015". Check flow, and repeat if needed.

The process is reversible by laying the top (arc) of the upside-down nib on a block of wood, then pressing on the ears with a couple of sticks as if to open the arc.

I've done this to many pens.

Alan

Yup but I am more a "use only your fingernails" nib adjuster and as long as the nib does not actually drip ink it's really not too wet.

Usually just switching too a dryer ink is all that is needed.

My Website

Does the 147 have a 149 sized nib or a 146 sized nib?

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Does the 147 have a 149 sized nib or a 146 sized nib?

The 147 and 146 are near twins, same size, same nib, nearly the same weight.

My Website

Thank you the great review. Agreed, Montblanc nib is prettier. My whole problem with Platinum is their nib is really looking uninspiringly.

• 1 year later...

Thanks thats some wonderful pics on the platinum president. Hard to find it pictured. Any chance you've a burgundy Realo or 1911 ( or anything burgundy really ) to compare them with?

The Montblanc looks pretty cool I must say, I suppose if we just fill it with a syringe it's as good as any piston filler ink capacity, sans the maintenance issues.

Thanks thats some wonderful pics on the platinum president. Hard to find it pictured. Any chance you've a burgundy Realo or 1911 ( or anything burgundy really ) to compare them with?

The Montblanc looks pretty cool I must say, I suppose if we just fill it with a syringe it's as good as any piston filler ink capacity, sans the maintenance issues.

I have a red/black 1911s and burgundy 743 & 742 and a Bourgogne #3776 Century and Akatamenuri Izumo and Nakaya Portable & NeoStandard but no Realos (much prefer cartridge/converter over pistons) or burgundy 1911.

My Website