Blemishes In Edison Collier In Antique Marble?

kimmo

Hello folks, first of all I want to say that I love my Edison fountain pens! I have a bunch of them with all kinds of nibs. Three of them are Colliers: one in Persimmon Swirl, one in Silver Marble and one in Antique Marble. The first two are visually gorgeous pens. They are not nearly as translucent as the Antique Marble, and this probably explains why this pen is the least favorite one of the three for me.

I hope these photos explain my point of view. Here are all three pens:

A closer look to the cap and the barrel of the Collier in Antique Marble:

As you can see there are very visible machining marks in the cap and also in the barrel. I'm sure that all of my Colliers have these kind of "stripes" but because of the non-translucent materials of the Persimmon Swirl and the Silver Marble they are basically out of sight.

I was wondering if anyone else, who owns a Collier in Antique Marble, has as visible marks in his/her pen. Do they bother you or is it just me complaining for nothing?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kimmo

• gerigo

• J85909266

• Forsooth

Come to the 2015 Michigan pen show this Friday and Saturday. Brian will be there and I'm sure he'll be glad to help!

Jokes aside, I don't own a translucent Collier but I do own a few pens that are made of translucent acrylic from other makers and none have such machining marks. From what I have seen and heard, Edison pen co. does pay attention to polishing even the inside of their pens. So your case may be an anomaly.

Like georgeb suggested, I would contact the seller or the Edison Pen Co. directly if I were you. I can see how those symmetric machining marks could be annoying in an otherwise attractive and unique acrylic.

That's machining marks as you rightly pointed out. Again you're correct in that it's because the material is translucent.

If you wanted it finished on the inside, you'd have to commission the pen from Brian to get a custom pen built. It's the same type of marks BTW that Franklin Christoph markets as "ice" in their transparent pens.

I don't know about the photos you saw prior to purchase, but the Collier on the Goulet does suggest that these marks exist, especially if you greatly enlarge the image.

I don't have one of these, but thought about buying one some while back. In all my looking, however, I never noticed the machine marks in the photos I viewed. I suppose I assumed that translucent barrels would be unremarkable (though not polished) on the inside.

All in all, the marks seem to come with the package and are not a flaw, per se.

I just looked at a large "clear translucent" pen I have from India, and, yes, the tell-tale marks are there. Although I never notice this previously, it doesn't bother me.

Edited by Forsooth

Personally, I would also be disappointed in this lack of finish in a $150 pen. I would have returned it to the vendor and emailed Edison about the lack of finish privately. That said, I appreciate the heads up.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

The marks inside the barrel seem rough, not geometrically pleasing (the ones in the cap are more regular and pleasing in that regard).

I share your aesthetic concern. I would want my money back, or perhaps an exchange. If it is something that you would notice in person and NOT purchase, then write Mr. Anderson and tell him so. See what he offers in reply. And then go from there. I almost sent back a $40 dollar pen because the stock photo showed NO transparency to machining and an inner cap on a Monterverde Prima--but the pen is definitely transparent to a degree. I bought it at a discount used, so I kept it. But for $150 purchased new, I would be way pickier about not getting what I anticipated.

Edited by TSherbs

"Come to the 2015 Michigan pen show this Friday and Saturday. Brian will be there and I'm sure he'll be glad to help!"

I'm sure he'd help but Michigan is pretty far from here where I live. Thanks for the suggestion though! :D

"I don't have one of these, but thought about buying one some while back. In all my looking, however, I never noticed the machine marks in the photos I viewed. I suppose I assumed that translucent barrels would be unremarkable (though not polished) on the inside."

I watched the photos from the Internet before I made the decision to buy the pen. It looks flawless in every photo also from the inside.

"Personally, I would also be disappointed in this lack of finish in a $150 pen. I would have returned it to the vendor and emailed Edison about the lack of finish privately. That said, I appreciate the heads up."

Edison fountain pens are one of my favorite pens. At the moment I'm waiting two more from the mail!

"I share your aesthetic concern. I would want my money back, or perhaps an exchange. If it is something that you would notice in person and NOT purchase, then write Mr. Anderson and tell him so. See what he offers in reply. And then go from there. I almost sent back a $40 dollar pen because the stock photo showed NO transparency to machining and an inner cap on a Monterverde Prima--but the pen is definitely transparent to a degree. I bought it at a discount used, so I kept it. But for $150 purchased new, I would be way pickier about not getting what I anticipated."

The pen was bought from La Couronne du Comte and it took more than three months :yikes: for them to deliver it (the Persimmon Swirl came in the same delivery) so I'm not sure if I want to send it back to them. I got both of the pens just few weeks ago and they are still uninked.

"Thanks for posting. Indeed, they are machining marks, visible due to the translucency.

Send me an email at brian@edisonpen.com and we'll take care of you. Thanks!"

Thanks for the reply Brian! I'll write you an email asap. :thumbup:

Edited by kimmo

*snip*

The pen was bought from La Couronne du Comte and it took more than three months :yikes: for them to deliver it (the Persimmon Swirl came in the same delivery) so I'm not sure if I want to send it back to them. I got both of the pens just few weeks ago and they are still uninked.

Not apologizing La Couronne's shipping times, but I wouldn't be afraid of sending the pen back to them if necessary. Dennis van de Graaf is pleasure to deal with when needed.

Instead I would be afraid of using Posti...

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

Hi kimmo,

I have a Coliier antique marble and I don't have any of those marks. I also have a Beaumont, no marks as well though the resin is a bit less transluscent.

As both of my Edisons are perfectly finished, I would presume this is an isolate case. I would return the pen.

Cheers,

Pierre

I have one. Here are photos I took of my pen. I guess I thought the swirl marks were in the acrylic, and not from machining. My pen is lovely though, I am very pleased with the acrylic, and what marks it has, does not take away from the overall looks of my pen. Brian is going to replace the clip on my pen, so I don't have it in front of me, to really look closer. Hopefully these photos will help you.

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo175/Kelkay59/EDC/IMG_6100_zpswfi6ordu.jpg

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo175/Kelkay59/EDC/IMG_6101_zps1gxilodc.jpg

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo175/Kelkay59/EDC/IMG_6099_zpssj9hxy0z.jpg[/u

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo175/Kelkay59/EDC/IMG_6103_zpsjrevjqu8.jpg

Edited by KKay