Edelstein Topaz Substitute

fplover01

Another Edelstein substitute thread... Topaz has recently come to my attention and I really like the wonderful colour of this ink. However I am torn on getting another bottle, I think it is rather expensive.

Any ideas on how to find a suitable substitute? About the same colour, same level of wetness or wetter. I would prefer to stay within the Pelikan or Lamy lines (so 4001 or Lamy turquise probably, how does that behave in comparison to the Edelstein Topaz) or R&K (Blumare, Smaragdgrün?)

Any ideas appreciated. thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fplover01

• sirgilbert357

• J85909266

• dompred

Top Posters In This Topic

R&K Blu-Mare and Diamine Mediterranean Blue are pretty close. I'll try to remember to do a sample when I get home.

http://www.fp-ink.info/en/details/202.ink?page=12

Disclaimer: Found this on the net. Its claims might not necessarily be true, but you could look into the recommendations.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I have tried both Topaz and 4001 Turquoise. Here are my thoughts.

I find Topaz to have a cooler tone of light blue than the one 4001 Turquoise has. They both shade well, with the Topaz to be a little better shader. Also both of them have red sheen, maybe Topaz has a little more pronounced than 4001 has. I believe you will notice the difference, both in direct comparison as well as in your eyes perception but 4001 is a pleasing shade of turquoise equally. From memory -as I did not keep writing samples back then- Pilot Iro. Kon Peki is a really close shade to the Topaz. If it is closer than 4001 is, that is a question I can not answer.

Edelstein Topaz is one of my main inks-- it's all I use in my Pelikan M205. I felt Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki was very similar in color, but with more wetness (which might affect the shading and final color depending on the pen used), and another that seemed surprisingly similar was Noodlers Navajo Turquoise. In the end, though, I just bought another bottle of Topaz. The value proposition of the Noodlers is hard to ignore in this case...I'd get a sample of it and see what you think.

Edit: I doubt the Kon-Peki is going to be much cheaper (if any) than the Edelstein.

Edited by sirgilbert357

R&K Blu-Mare and Diamine Mediterranean Blue are pretty close. I'll try to remember to do a sample when I get home.

I have a sample of Diamine Mediterranean Blue as well. Perhaps I can do a side by side comparison of it and Topaz...

Thanks a lot for these thoughts. I am going to take the R&K Blu-Mare first and see if I like it, I wanted to order Salix anyway.

Edited by fplover01

Topaz is pretty unique. It's a cerulean, not a turquoise, like Sailor Souten and Pilot Kon Peki.

It sheens very well, which cheaper shade matches will lack. Be careful of just buying a cheap turquoise ink. It's not the same.

There aren't many inks that are really similar to topaz that don't cost just as much.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe