The Fpn 2015 Le Blue Pearl Celebration - Last Chance For Pre-Christmas Delivery

wimg

The beauty of this pen is driving EoC to distraction. The cost - including customs, tax, and shipping - is close to NZ $2000. The money is there but so is a high level of personal resistance to spending this much. The pen looks totally worth it too :wub: , making the decision so much harder. I guess when one has been poor for so long breaking the non-spending habit is tough, even during financially better times.

The beauty is there, seen with my own eyes.

And the quality is there, seen with my own eyes, including the professional precision manufacturing equipment and the pride the workers take in a perfectioned product..

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• mr2txaggie

• bushbunny

• Tojusi

Top Posters In This Topic

And one more for today:

fpn_1447297304__pen-rock-02s.png

The beauty is of course that no 2 pens are the same.

Warm regards, Wim

Wonderful, stunning image, Wim!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

The pen material is BEAUTIFUL ! :thumbup:

Dazzling B)

Does the order come with a pair of sunglasses ?

Nah, it doesn't take long to get used to - just that the surroundings may seem a little dark after having written with this pen for a while ;).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Wonderful, stunning image, Wim!

Thank you, Steve!

It is a lot easier with such a stunning subject :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Okie Dokie Wim,

A few more photos please!! You just might weaken my budgetary defenses enough. I could purchase an early Birthday Present for myself. Then since my BD & Christmas are in December, I could add the two gifts and make a really nice end of the year for myself.

I know there are several pix in the post about our FPN LE Pen, but I've been looking at them, so if you could do your " photo magic " and show us a few different views it would be greatly appreciated.

I know you're a busy individual, but if I remember correctly you are a bit of a " Shutter Bug " and know how to set up pictures.

Thanks.

aggie

PS: BTW, a question I'll pose here so it may help others, if I wanted a very smooth Stub ( I haven't mastered the Italic Nib yet ) would the Nib Grindierer, I just made that word up I think, be able to fix me up?

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

Okie Dokie Wim,

A few more photos please!! You just might weaken my budgetary defenses enough. I could purchase an early Birthday Present for myself. Then since my BD & Christmas are in December, I could add the two gifts and make a really nice end of the year for myself.

I know there are several pix in the post about our FPN LE Pen, but I've been looking at them, so if you could do your " photo magic " and show us a few different views it would be greatly appreciated.

I know you're a busy individual, but if I remember correctly you are a bit of a " Shutter Bug " and know how to set up pictures.

Thanks.

aggie

PS: BTW, a question I'll pose here so it may help others, if I wanted a very smooth Stub ( I haven't mastered the Italic Nib yet ) would the Nib Grindierer, I just made that word up I think, be able to fix me up?

:D

As to more pictures, I'll see what I can do - I still only have the prototype here, and I got word (and a few small images) today that the name on the box has been changed, as well as the inscription on the clip, to the correct font format and layout in the case of the latter.

We made two minor changes so far, since starting the project, namely the colour of the ink window- the yellow just looked a bit too ummm... yellow, I teh end, and when put next to the first prototype, transparent and colourless just looked much better after all. The second small change was the clip: the corners are rounded now, essentially because I managed to tear a shirt pocket with the version with sharp corners to the clip :).

The prototype has a transparent feed at the moment, as nothing else was available with the new anti-slip notches when it was assembled. The production model will have a black feed - looks a bit better too :). I'll see if I can temporarily mount a black feed to make it resemble the final pen.

Here is a finished clip:

fpn_1447540463__clip.jpg

And here is the finalized box, with the clip on top of it:

fpn_1447540551__box.jpg

As to the nib question: of course that is possible - one of the options is a rounded italic, effectively what many call a smooth stub. :)

And you can always provide me with additional instructions if you so prefer, other than what is possible with the order form.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

One more pic, this time with an different nib and feed :).

fpn_1447608529__pen-feather-02s.jpg

Unfortunately my calibration tools are not working with Windows 8.1 currently - waiting for a fix - this makes especially getting the background the same colour tone each time very hard.

The nib is a 0.9 italic, between crisp and rounded, made from a medium nib. It's a duo-point actually, and in reverse it currently is a 0.6 stub.

This could still change :).

For the more technically inclined amongst us: this photograph was taken with a TS-E 90 and extender 1.4X on a Canon 5D Mk II, tilted so that the plane of focus is parallel with the pen, and taken from an angle of about 35 degrees. All pictures except the one in the previous post (which were graciously share by CONID) were taken with the TS-E 90, the actual pen photos with Extender (V. III) in addition.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

:wub: :wub: :wub: This pen is so beautiful. I wish I had the funds for it, but that won't happen for a long time! It'd be a wonderful addition to have.

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

I agree, the transparent ink window is MUCH better than the yellow one! Clip looks better rounded too.

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

Thank you both.

I was just having a discussion with someone on nibs, and quickly created the following picture, a close-up of the nib I mounted to the pen before taking its picture above:

fpn_1447621066__italic-nib-03s.jpg

Essentially, if you look carefully, you'll notice that the tipping of this nib has two slightly flattened surfaces, at the bottom, but also at the top, at an angle to the nib surfaces, in the shiny part of the tipping. The bottom part has rather sharp edges, and is close to a crisp italic, the top is a little more rounded, and is between a round italic (stub if you like) and a "normal" italic.

The way this is done is typical for the school of thought followed by nib enhancers like Nathan Tardiff, John Sorowka, and myself, where we prefer to remove as little tipping as possible to create italics and other nib enhancement or nib grinds. This makes the tipping last much longer than with grinds where most of the tipping is removed.

Anyway, this is a duo-point nib, made to write the normal way, as a fairly sharp 0.9 italic, and as a 0.6 rounded to medium italic in reverse :).

The ink flow has been adjusted on both sides to make this possible, too.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Hi rvthof,

Thank you kindly - I love to do nib work, actually.

At the end of the week our pens should be ready :).

What follows next is additional QA/QC, and any nib work requested, followed by shipping the pens, obviously :).

Excitement levels are definitely rising! :D

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

One more pic, this time with an different nib and feed :).

fpn_1447608529__pen-feather-02s.jpg

Unfortunately my calibration tools are not working with Windows 8.1 currently - waiting for a fix - this makes especially getting the background the same colour tone each time very hard.

The nib is a 0.9 italic, between crisp and rounded, made from a medium nib. It's a duo-point actually, and in reverse it currently is a 0.6 stub.

This could still change :).

For the more technically inclined amongst us: this photograph was taken with a TS-E 90 and extender 1.4X on a Canon 5D Mk II, tilted so that the plane of focus is parallel with the pen, and taken from an angle of about 35 degrees. All pictures except the one in the previous post (which were graciously share by CONID) were taken with the TS-E 90, the actual pen photos with Extender (V. III) in addition.

Warm regards, Wim

Nice bokeh on the picture as well, Wim; it really shows off the Conid structure - their precision is famous. As for your tonal matching; here's what I use - simple easy software plug-in and physical color and greyscale charts.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Nice bokeh on the picture as well, Wim; it really shows off the Conid structure - their precision is famous. As for your tonal matching; here's what I use - simple easy software plug-in and physical color and greyscale charts.

:D

Thank you - the Canon TS-Es all have stunning bokeh indeed, and at any aperture, it is quite amazing, as is indeed CONID's precision :).

ColorCheckerPassport is exactly what I normally use, BTW <ROFL>. Just that for some reason it does not work on my Windows 8.1 Pro machine. I have been going back and forth now with X-Rite for two weeks now, to try and get this fixed :).

I sent them the RAW-files, and it all works fine at their offices, just not on my machine. I think I'll give it a try later on my Win7 laptop to see if it does work on that machine.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Just a quick update :).

Earlier this past week there was a break down of one of the machines required to produce pen parts, so we ran into a slight delay. Fortunately the machine has been fixed again, and another machine has been used the last few days as well to try and help produce these parts, resulting in the last parts being made today (!), and early this upcoming week.

The last nibs haven't arrived yet either, unfortunately. Those are expected for Tuesday or Wednesday now.

We do expect to be able to collect the pens some time this upcoming week, however, based on the latest communications today with Conid - I'll keep y'all posted here :).

I've already packed up the prototype, and the tools I need for fine tuning, ready to go and visit Conid once more :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Yes!

Excitement levels rising even further!

Tomorrow most pens will be collected, by me personally, in Antwerp :).

Next are the final QC, nib modification, and shipping process! :)

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Looks like your bed will have withdrawal symptoms this week.....

Even more than usual... ;)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Well, the Finnish postal workers are striking and things are not getting any better at the moment... Other transport unions will start supporting strikes on Monday 30 November unless the Finnish Post thing gets settled by then.

So it seems that some politicians, the Finnish Post leaders and some union leaders will be determining when I finally get my pen...