The Fpn 2015 Le Blue Pearl Celebration - Last Chance For Pre-Christmas Delivery

wimg

May I join you in the congratulations to those among us who have received ... if sharing the pain of the wait helps any .... I must travel 15 km of bush trail down to the main logging road, then another 44 km down the logging road to the highway, then down the highway into town and the post office. (for our American friends, about 75 miles) Between me and Le Blue Pearl are also 2 rivers with no bridges. Driving the truck through the river at the rock bottom crossing is doable in the season of open water. Through the river with a Skidoo is not an optimal option. Normally this time of year the river would be ice capped and crossing over the river on the ice, no problem. We have feet of snow and no river ice. I cannot cross. As if it were a flowing Gandalf, the river says, "You will not pass".... at least not for a few more days ;-)

Ouch! You are even more isolated that I thought you were!

Do check with your Post Master first, however, as pens shipped by regular mail do take longer than those sent by express mail (for which our own PostNL uses UPS).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• mr2txaggie

• bushbunny

• Tojusi

Top Posters In This Topic

FPNers,

As my Grandmother used to say, " Well I just Swany, ain't that greatest thing you ever did see !!!" Seriously, though the pictures are wonderful,there's nothing like actually holding and seeing the Blue. It is stunning.

I've never used a Conid Bulkfiller so I'm going to take your advice, Wim, & take a few tries with water first. I have some Serenity Blue for the first ink run. Unfortunately I had unexpected business come up and as it is late I'll have to wait until tomorrow, well later today. But patience, they say, is a virtue.

There is one more ' funny ' little story concerning Brown !! Never have I had any problems with Brown. However this time after the normal delivery schedule varied and I missed getting Blue Friday, as I should've. Today, knowing there was $30 USD due I reached in my purse, pulled out the cash and saw the lady's head shaking " no ". What?, who doesn't deal with real money. Next, I ask do you take credit cards? Another no. " We take checks. " So I pulled out my checkbook, wrote a check and now I have my pen. That's a first for me and I have lived on this route for 22 years. Just thought that was humorous.

aggie

Hi aggie,

Isn't it amazing, indeed?

The material, despite not being celluloid, has so much depth, it just is incredible. This is indeed virtually impossible to capture in an image.

I think you're not the only one who ran into this little problem with Brown, or the regular post delivery company :).

Over here it is even more of a pain, if that is any consolation: we don't do cheques anymore in this country, so it is either cash or nothing, and that in this age of digital transfers and payments .... everything else here is :).

Great to hear you have it safely in your home, now! :)

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 2 weeks later...

We are a drive or ride through the rivers kind of remote, thus my fascination with bridges, since we have none dear Wim ;-) Evidently the river ice was thick enough, although I confess to NOT stopping the

Skidoo on the way across to test the ice thickness.

THE pen arrived that morning.

#27 is now safely ensconced in its new home in the boreal wilderness of central/northern Canada. A trial run with a water fill, then on to the Waterman Serenity blue without an issue. Not only is this pen a

perfectly executed engineering marvel, it writes like a dream. After a moment to examine the process,

with any luck at all, a photo should be forthcoming. I am still looking for a term to appropriately

describe the masterful work you do on the nibs ... nibmeister, Nib Maestro, O'Mast are not sufficient.

Know what you believe.

Hi bushbunny,

Yaaaaayyyy! It arrived! That is great to hear :).

BTW, have you seen the little trickery that the pen material does in one spot? I thought that was truly amazing! :) Total and utter visual deception :). Very special :).

I am really glad you like the pen for writing as well, including the nib :). Obviously it was a bit of a gamble to send you this new concept of a nib, although I did expect it to work out based on what you appear to like :), and thank you very much too for your very kind words.

Looking forward to your pics!

Warmest regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Hello Wim - yes I did see it! the yellow line appears to move beneath the blue - quite an optical illusion to be sure. Capped the magic line is in the barrel directly below the clip ;-) When I first saw it, I thought I was peering thru' the barrel - then I spun the pen in my fingers and it moved ! My pen is alive .... or perhaps possessed by the wim-nib ;-) Laying horizontally upon the desk, looking up the length of the barrel, if I roll the pen ever so slightly to the left the yellow line is perfect, but let it come back a hair to the right and the yellow line appears to move, as if it wants to hide under the blues!. Actually, I 've had a lot of fun playing hide and seek with it ;-) a rather expensive toy, but oh what a beautiful indulgence ! It has yet to meet a fine paper that it does not like - but it appears to favour the Tomoe River while it doesn't mind slumming with the Moleskine notepads. Wim, it glides across every paper with the same ease and since according to the window it will soon require a filling you can imagine it has met a lot of different papers over the past two days.

Know what you believe.

<ROFL>

I still have to find an appropriate name for the nib which doesn't sound too much like a draconic affair, and I also have to finish creating another one, or two - been too busy with board related matters lately :).

I am sure bushbunny will post some pics soon. I may do so too, time permitting :).

Warm regards, WIm

the Mad Dutchman

Hi John,

It is indeed extremely beautiful - as mentioned, the material has the depth of celluloid. And the entire process is indeed amazing, it is proper engineering perfection, as is the pen. :D

The factory and the entire process are truly something to behold.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

23556716633_de719f9f1e_z.jpgLE Blue Pearl arrives by bush bunny, on Flickr

The pen is becoming acclimatized to its new boreal environment - quite a change from urban Antwerp ;-) Dear Wim, you have the best photos of the nib so when you are ready to announce the details, please post

Know what you believe.

Okie Dokie FPers,

I've finally found my way back after too long being afar. As I probably too oten say; Here's my story and I'm stickin to it:

I was so anxious to get my Blue LE Baby before Christmas, I was almost to the point of waving a white flag as UPS rolled by. Then, it arrived, woopee !! I was so ready to flush her out, try a couple of water fills and ink her up.

I made a comment that some " unexpected business came up ", the morning after which Blue arrived. It was supposed to be a day -- perhaps two, yes -- right ?!?! The way it works is, many times when a person retires, the Company will call them back for just a consult. Normally for a couple of days. This project became a bit more involved, I just now really finished.

I'm not complaining, it allowed me to purchase Blue without taking anything from my " Retirement Fun Fund ".

Finally this weekend I'll have the time to get familiar with my beautiful pen properly. Then after writing for a while on both sizes of nibs, in assorted inks, on assorted paper I'll post how much I truely love my FPN 2015 LE Blue Pearl Celebration Fountain Pen. Which I know I will.

Bushbunny, I must say, you really do live quite far from the usual beaten path !!! Not only that, but from the photos, it looks like a virtual playground ( as well as, I'm sure, hard-working ) and difficult environment in which to live. You have some of the most gorgeous sun-rises & sets. You captured the hues,depts and simply the real-life-colors of the FPN 11th Anniversary Blue Pearl LE, or as I named mine ... Blue Baby.

Wim, thank you for being so conscientious about staying on our FPs. You've worked - on, out, through and with each FP and Nib. Therefore making each FP & Nib Unit a personalized work of Art.

I will post anew after I've had sufficient time to write with my beautiful Blue Baby.

mr2txaggie

Hopefully I'll get to all paper and ink combos with both nibs before too much time passes. I may not wait until I've gotten through all before posting on how I feel about the Blue Baby.

Actually to be fair to " Brown " I checked their website & it is easier to pre-schedule a specific delivery or pick-up date/time than I originally thought. So next time I am wanting a truely special item, I now know how to set up the targeted time/date. It is simple and efficient.

BTW: I plan to fill, in this order:

Ink:

Waterman Serenity Blue

Pelikan Edelstein 2014 Garnet

Aurora Black

FPN, some of our new Ink, perhaps

Levenger Cocoa

Paper:

Clairefontaine 90gsm lined

Clairefontaine 90g, lined Triomphe Stationery

Rhodia dot grid 80g

Tomoe 52g cream & white

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

Bushbunny, I must say, you really do live quite far from the usual beaten path !!! .........

Yes :-) The road less travelled - are you loving your Blue Baby? I've moved on from the Serenity Blue to Black Swans in Australian Roses (Noodlers) and am fascinated watching the ink glide from deep peony pink to nearly red and then the black tone appears at the bottom of the stroke ..... the colour is a bit jarring after pages of writing in the journal and I may find a mauve-soft violet (something like Pousierre de Lune from J. Herbin or Nessie from Scribal Workshop) for daily notes .... I'm an ABB ... anything but blue ... fan ;-)
When you have recovered from the 'call back' please post your thoughts on your paper and ink combinations.
edit: to see what I did that messed up the box on the quote ...

Know what you believe.

ah, fixed..... about the time I learn the forum processes we should have the new software ;-)

Know what you believe.

ah, fixed..... about the time I learn the forum processes we should have the new software ;-)

Yes, fixed :).

When you edit a quote, you need to make sure it has

[quote]

or the more complex variant when a post is quoted at the beginning, and

[/quote]

at the end, and it'll work just fine.

I often intersperse a few of these if I like to reply to individual parts in a quote :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Ah-ha! After finding my sleuthing gear and like Sherlock Holmes investigating the 'help' files I discovered indeed to quote successfully one must have the start and end quote bracket in place . Returning to repair the dangling quote, imagine my surprise to see it was fixed - as if by the magic of Lord Blackmore. What a relief to be indebted instead to the kind consideration of Magician Wim. ;-)

Know what you believe.

• 2 weeks later...

23556716633_de719f9f1e_z.jpgLE Blue Pearl arrives by bush bunny, on Flickr

The pen is becoming acclimatized to its new boreal environment - quite a change from urban Antwerp ;-) Dear Wim, you have the best photos of the nib so when you are ready to announce the details, please post

I love that wintry landscape. I remember as a kid in the 70s and 80s we used to get snowy winters in the UK, then everything warmed up and now our winters are merely extended autumns.

I love that wintry landscape. I remember as a kid in the 70s and 80s we used to get snowy winters in the UK, then everything warmed up and now our winters are merely extended autumns.

Winter seems to be something we Canadians generally do well ;-) A friend from Great Britain visited with us over the Christmas holidays a few years ago and learned to handle the Skidoo well, did some ice climbing, lots of ice fishing - was really getting into the spirit of winter activity and then had to return to London. In our southern region they are experiencing a very unusual winter with the El Ninio effect pretty much doing as you mentioned; just extending the autumn season.

Know what you believe.

FPers

Ah, Howdy Bushbunny, and others. It seems I need to borrow your "sleuthing gear ", bushbunny, time has a way of hiding from me?!?! But I've now gotten the hang of filling Blue Baby, yaa ~~~ drum roll please. I have to admit I did get a few hints from guess who. Yup, our Magician. Now she's inked up and I'll try assorted inks and papers.

Bushbunny, just a coincidence, I've a Grandfather that was Canadian. I never met him as he was in a fatal accident at his place of employment years before my parents first met. So, would that make me 1/4 Canadian. Cool, I'll claim that. I went back and viewed some of the photos of yours again. I'd sometimes like being far from the " Maddening " crowd, yes I spelled it different from the movie. The Skidoo looks like the ones used for fresh and salt water within a two hour radius of our locale.

Tancred, our winters are simply the second of two seasons we usually have ~~~ one season; hot, hotter and hottest with humidity, other season; cool with occasionally cold temperatures and a lot of rain. I mentioned to a friend that when it gets in the 30s, folks here run for cover.

I do plan to get up some examples of Blue Baby's writing. One thing holding me back is this confounded new printer. There is a computer boutique that has put together my last 3 systems. This time I needed a new printer and I don't care for this one, but I'll get it going my way.

Wim, thank you for the help with Blue Baby, she is a smooooooth writer.

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!