The Fpn 2015 Le Blue Pearl Celebration - Last Chance For Pre-Christmas Delivery

wimg

Wim:

Users do care about pen measurements, and I'm surprised at your statement that you have never seen a manufacturer list them. Taking Pelikan, as an example, you will find this:

http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US.FWI.displayShop.93680./souveraen-black-green

Thank you, FriendAmos.

Last time I looked, they generally did not, I am afraid. It is good to hear they do now.

I must admit I rarely have a look at new pens today - not enough time in a day, and I do happen to have a flock of pens which satisfy my needs and wants well :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• mr2txaggie

• bushbunny

• Tojusi

Top Posters In This Topic

It hasn't arrived yet so afraid it did miss SinterKlaas!! Looking forward to tomorrow!!

Well, I only managed to sent it off on Friday, before leaving for CONID, so it would have been almost impossible to receive it prior to the evening of the next day :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Woop woop and a dancing bunny on top of that! :bunny01:

I just received the pen number 012 at work - now I have to wait to get home to play with the mechanism and try the first fill of ink!

Thank you FPN, thank you Wim, thank you Conid! The pen is a real beauty.

That's great news, Tojusi! Glad you like it!

Enjoy!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I've been gone all day, last visit with my brother and family that live 800 miles away & only make a few trips a year. When I had the chance to get online I saw that some people had already received their pens. Wow, am I ever glad I did order one or I'd really be kicking myself!!! Now not only will I be awaiting my pen but playing the guessing game as to what number mine will be. It won't matter though when I start writing with it.

A big CONGRATS to those who have gotten their LEs.

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

:D

Yours is in the second half of our first production batch run, aggie :).

I will do my utmost to get them all ready and shipped before the end of the week.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Is the ink window supposed to show ink all the time?

I can get ink in - when I pull, the whole ink window is full of ink. Then I keep turning right and the rod releases from the piston, at least it feels that way. I even turned the pen upside down - not fully vertical but 30 degrees above horizontal - when I push the rod in, it clearly does not push all of the ink out. In fact, very little comes out. (When I do not release the rod from the piston and push in, over the ink bottle, in really comes gushing out).

But, when I write, the ink window is clear. Even when I open the back end (but I have seen a drop of ink flow down across the ink window). So it seems that the front reservoir is not fully full.

Is this normal? Or maybe I am doing something wrong, perhaps I am pulling in a large air bubble. So far I have tried only with Akkerman ink bottle, which may be the issue: the bottle neck with the ball etc. may be too tricky.

Is the ink window supposed to show ink all the time?

I can get ink in - when I pull, the whole ink window is full of ink. Then I keep turning right and the rod releases from the piston, at least it feels that way. I even turned the pen upside down - not fully vertical but 30 degrees above horizontal - when I push the rod in, it clearly does not push all of the ink out. In fact, very little comes out. (When I do not release the rod from the piston and push in, over the ink bottle, in really comes gushing out).

But, when I write, the ink window is clear. Even when I open the back end (but I have seen a drop of ink flow down across the ink window). So it seems that the front reservoir is not fully full.

Is this normal? Or maybe I am doing something wrong, perhaps I am pulling in a large air bubble. So far I have tried only with Akkerman ink bottle, which may be the issue: the bottle neck with the ball etc. may be too tricky.

Hi Tojusi,

The filling knob should be opened 2 mm allowing the ink to flow freely to the ink window( i.e the front ink chamber)

For your reference : 2 millimeter is the width of the titanium ring just in front of the filling knob.

When filling, the front of the section should always in the ink, below the ink level.

This could be a problem with the Akkerman bottle….

When holding the pen nib-up - with a 2mm opened filling knob - the ink in the ink window will mostly flow to the main ink chamber.

So then the ink window will be empty.

Hope this helps !

Francis

Thank you for that info, Francis!

In addition, what you can do is, with the knob turned up a little - actually I found that it needs less than 2 mm, just a turn or 2 until you feel it coming loose from the top of the ink view window appears to be enough -, is to hold the pen down, and softly tap the body until the ink window fills.

I also found it takes a few fills before the ink view window fills all by itself all of the time. This may be due to some surface tension caused by the resin being completely new still. It did happen with my own pen too, but I am now on the 3rd fill, and it does fill the ink chamber always now.

The pen will always write perfectly, however, unless you run out of ink of course :).

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

For an ink " Hog " like this Bulk Filler, you musta' been writ'n some lotta' bunch, to be on your 3rd fill.

Seriously, good info to know.

Like the 2008 car I now drive. Bought it with less than 7,000 miles ( complete new car warranty ) & return it to the Dealership, for service once a yr. Still less than 23,000 miles on it. They tease me that it isn't even broken in yet!!

I guess that is how these LE PENS are. Use with care but by all means use.

Right?

aggie

Then your up-keep.

Thank you for that info, Francis!

In addition, what you can do is, with the knob turned up a little - actually I found that it needs less than 2 mm, just a turn or 2 until you feel it coming loose from the top of the ink view window appears to be enough -, is to hold the pen down, and softly tap the body until the ink window fills.

I also found it takes a few fills before the ink view window fills all by itself all of the time. This may be due to some surface tension caused by the resin being completely new still. It did happen with my own pen too, but I am now on the 3rd fill, and it does fill the ink chamber always now.

The pen will always write perfectly, however, unless you run out of ink of course :).

HTH, warm regards, Wim

Hi Wim,

You are surely right as what concerns the initial higher surface tension on new materials, but this will improve quickly.

Opening of the filling knob 2 mm is our safe suggestion, this will guarantee that the ink window will fill and empty whatever ink you use.

Sure, with a filling knob opening of 1 mm the ink may flow also flow in both directions "when gently tapping against the barrel".

But - as we experienced - using high saturated inks ink flow will become more critical.

And to be honest, I don't feel comfortable with the need of tapping against the barrel, the ink should flow spontaneously!

Francis

For an ink " Hog " like this Bulk Filler, you musta' been writ'n some lotta' bunch, to be on your 3rd fill.

Seriously, good info to know.

Like the 2008 car I now drive. Bought it with less than 7,000 miles ( complete new car warranty ) & return it to the Dealership, for service once a yr. Still less than 23,000 miles on it. They tease me that it isn't even broken in yet!!

I guess that is how these LE PENS are. Use with care but by all means use.

Right?

aggie

Absolutely! These are pens made for writers, without a doubt, and that actually is the philosophy behind CONID's pens. Both made for writers, and an engineering dream come true. :)

And the FPN LE happens to be drop dead gorgeous as well :).

As to writing a lot: I actually use it for testing nib mods as well. My test pen works well, but sometimes I want to test a modified nib for a bit longer than just for the grind and the short period thereafter until I start the next grind :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Hi Wim,

You are surely right as what concerns the initial higher surface tension on new materials, but this will improve quickly.

Opening of the filling knob 2 mm is our safe suggestion, this will guarantee that the ink window will fill and empty whatever ink you use.

Sure, with a filling knob opening of 1 mm the ink may flow also flow in both directions "when gently tapping against the barrel".

But - as we experienced - using high saturated inks ink flow will become more critical.

And to be honest, I don't feel comfortable with the need of tapping against the barrel, the ink should flow spontaneously!

Francis

Hi Francis,

The tapping was meant just for the first use or so :).

I normally close the pen, and when the ink view chamber runs out, I open the stop, and then close to again, and continue writing. But that is just me :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

The Eagle has landed (#3)!!

2 nibs both duopoint - Oblique Stub/Medium and Fine/EF.

The Oblique is gorgeous :), not tried the other nib yet.

Yes! Great news, took a bit of waiting with UPS interpreting the label in brand new ways, but it got there :).

And I am glad you like both nibs (as I understand now ;)).

War regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

alc3261,

Congrats on receiving your FPN LE Pen. You sound like you are prepared for any writing you might want. You actually got 2 duopoints? Wow.

Please let us know how you enjoy them! !

aggie

Then your up-keep.

Well, just finished the last of the nibs a few minutes ago bar one (a special which requires some additional tools), and all pens bar the one for the extra special nib have been checked and tested too, wrapped in their bubblewrap envelopes, with additional addresses inside and out, and made the shipping boxes all ready for use.

Next is to package the pens in the boxes, affix the addresses, fill in all the customs forms, and drop them at the Post Office :).

This I hope t do tomorrow, time permitting. If time runs out (it's past 5 am here already), I may be dropping them off at the P.O. on Monday.

Communications will follow within a few hours after my visit to the P.O.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Well, as I am a little bit a perfectionist, and OCD as well, I did do another final final check on all pens, and only then wrapped them up again, and boxed them, and filled in all the necessary forms as well, customs forms and shipping forms :).

That means they will all ship on Monday - 5 am in the morning (umm, Sunday morning by now, yes) was a little late for the Post Office :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

All pens bar one have been sent out on Monday - now for creating one more special nib :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Okay wim,

Firstly, very well done!

Secondly, your latest post has sat here with no comments for several days, so I'll step up and ask ... what type of special nib might it be? I'm sure it's for you, because you would wait to make it last.

aggie

Then your up-keep.

Okay wim,

Firstly, very well done!

Secondly, your latest post has sat here with no comments for several days, so I'll step up and ask ... what type of special nib might it be? I'm sure it's for you, because you would wait to make it last.

aggie

:D

Funnily enough, I am a bit like the cobbler and his kids ... :). The nib I finished for my own writing, a duopoint sharpish 0.9 italic / XF stub is the first I have done for myself in a long time. I tend to quickly smooth mine if necessary, and that is it. I am fortunate enough to have quite a selection of pens with a large variety of nibs, so I am not really lacking variety anyway, and I normally end up doing specialty nibs for others only :).

The nib I was talking about is a flex nib, for which I have set up the tooling in the mean time; I hadn't done one for a while and I needed the space, so packed up the tooling for a while :).

I have mostly been working on the new Classifieds since the last shipments went out, and on finding another consultancy job. I may well be offline for the next 3 days, most of the time anyway, to update CVs, write accompanying letters and such - unless I get a stack of requests to do more nibs :).

I did invent a completely new nib last week, and AFAIK, no one did one before yet :). I am sure you'll hear more about it. I need to create another one, as that first one already was shipped out :), and I will likely post about it when I have indeed created another - just need to do a few urgent tasks first, however.

Oh, and we have 4 more LEs available immediately for the fast takers :).

Warm regards, Wim

P.S.:

Your package appears to be scheduled for delivery tomorrow, end of day :). That was the status early this morning, CET time.

the Mad Dutchman