Recommend A Blue-Black (Details Included)

dvalliere

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvalliere

• Tas

• ink-syringe

• AndyYNWA

Also...consider the FPN (Noodler's) Starry Night. More black than Diamine Denim, but with definite blue (and nothing else). Some shading but no sheen.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I've been following the thread and taking notes.

I have a number of blue ink samples which I have previously tried and found wanting. Several of them have been suggested in this thread. Since my original experience with ink samples was exclusively in a fine nib fountain pen, I'll revisit them with a wet medium nib and see if I like the results better. I suspect that I will.

My first thought was Diamine Midnight, particularly considering the OP's preference for Majestic Blue. The two seem to be directly related. Midnight is like a darker version of Majestic, red sheen and all...should be right up your alley.

Based on that, I'm going to try Diamine Midnight first; it's one of the ones I already have. If this description holds true, my search will be over. If not, I'll try the others suggested as well.

The Tanzanite looks less saturated then I'd like. Can anyone speak to that issue?

Also, a number of the suggested inks seem (nearly?) unattainable--JFK? Bungbox 4B? The Kobe inks? I'm still somewhat new to FPs; am I simply unaware of some well-know exclusive vendors?

Diamine Midnight is a good ink to have on hand. It is very easy flowing and especially good for dry pens.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

A bit hard to come by, but if you can find it, well, you'll find what you're looking for: Bungbox Seiya Silent Night.

An extremely lubricant blue-black ink that is more black than blue, but the blue is still visible. No green or purple undertones to be found--it's one of my favorites.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Hi,

Kindly consider Private Reserve Midnight Blues.

From a narrow nib it does very well, though it does not sing in the manner of Visconti Blue.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Visconti Blue.

Which should be sold in gallon jugs.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Also, a number of the suggested inks seem (nearly?) unattainable--JFK? Bungbox 4B? The Kobe inks? I'm still somewhat new to FPs; am I simply unaware of some well-know exclusive vendors?

For JFK I don't have a good lead...

But for Bungbox inks and Kobe inks you can buy them through "cooljapan" (Atsu) on eBay. He has many of the Kobe inks for sale on his eBay page, but he can also get you both the Bungbox inks and the Kobe inks he hasn't listen on his eBay page.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

22093221129_5d73fb2756_o.jpg

(Serwex MB flex EMF ..... ESS Registrars Blue-Black)

I've heard so many mixed messages on IG inks that I'm just steering clear, at least for the time being. The ink in question would be used on a vintage pen and I'm just not willing to take chances with it.

I'm the OP.

I'm picking up a sample of Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite. I fear it's not saturated enough based on pictures but it's got too many proponents to ignore and in my limited experience, words and recommendations go further than ink pictures. I'm also going to try the Diamine 1864 Blue Black. Diamine Midnight wasn't dark enough. If those don't work, I'll come back and try a few others mentioned.

Thanks!

I'm the OP.

I'm picking up a sample of Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite. I fear it's not saturated enough based on pictures but it's got too many proponents to ignore and in my limited experience, words and recommendations go further than ink pictures. I'm also going to try the Diamine 1864 Blue Black. Diamine Midnight wasn't dark enough. If those don't work, I'll come back and try a few others mentioned.

Thanks!

Thanks for letting us know.

Looking forward to your thoughts. :)

Today I filled a pen with an ink I had received from Fountain Pen Hospital yesterday. It is one of the Noodlers' inks exclusive to them, "Ellis Island Blue" & is certainly more black than blue with a kind of faded/ vintage look to it. I would suggest if you find yourself making an order ever with FPH then you might like to "add a bottle" to your order to give it a try. I was "won over" to BB by JFK & this is no BETTER but "just as nice & different." (Also 1/2 the price of the Montblanc JFK & a larger bottle, still in production.)

Today I filled a pen with an ink I had received from Fountain Pen Hospital yesterday. It is one of the Noodlers' inks exclusive to them, "Ellis Island Blue" & is certainly more black than blue with a kind of faded/ vintage look to it. I would suggest if you find yourself making an order ever with FPH then you might like to "add a bottle" to your order to give it a try. I was "won over" to BB by JFK & this is no BETTER but "just as nice & different." (Also 1/2 the price of the Montblanc JFK & a larger bottle, still in production.)

I'm with you, I wasn't a BB fan, but then, you try one and it's such a nice experience you get hooked. I like Ellis Island because it too is a stealth ink, you think it's black, but it isn't.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

On a more pedestrian level, Sheaffer's Blue-Black is a really nice color, is very well-behaved, is inexpensive and easy to find ... but no sheen.

Realizing that ink preferences are quite individual, I would also suggest you get samples of your candidates before getting your top six one(s) in bottles.

BTW, one of the reasons I like Sheaffer inks is they seem to do well in a larger range of wet/dry nibs than any other inks I have used.

Happy writing!

Realizing that ink preferences are quite individual, I would also suggest you get samples of your candidates before getting your top six one(s) in bottles.

I discovered many months back that online images were no substitute for seeing an ink first hand and trying it in a given pen. I will not buy and have not bought any ink without first trying and liking a sample. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the OP.

Thanks!

I tried Pelikan Edelsetin Tanzanite. Gorgeous while wet, deep purple color. Dries to a faded blue. Just not saturated enough for my tastes.

I also tried the Diamine 1864 Blue Black. I like the darkness with hints of blue (about the right shade) but just not saturated enough.

Back to look at some other options.

Can ESS Registrar's be purchases in the US without exorbitant shipping costs?

You can order it directly from the manufacturer in the UK.

The bottles are 110ml so the price is quite attractive.

They have one shipping rate, no matter where you are located.

Edited by Pterodactylus

You can order it directly from the manufacturer in the UK.

The bottles are 110ml so the price is quite attractive.

They have one shipping rate, no matter where you are located.

Just dialed in on that--that's quite a good price--even shipped internationally.