Recommend A Blue-Black (Details Included)

dvalliere

I'm looking for an ink recommendation. Specifically, I want a very dark, BOLD blue ink. My favorite inks right now are: Noodler's Heart of Darkness, Diamine Majestic Blue, and a blend of Iroshizuku Kon-peki and Asa-go; that should give you a sense of my desire for bold colors. More specifically:

• I want a BOLD, dark color
  • It should be closer to black than to blue but the blue should be reasonably visible. (I've tried Diamine Eclipse which is a close-to-black purple ink (IMO). I'd like the recommended ink to display the blue more than Eclipse displays the purple.)
  • It should be darker than Diamine Majestic Blue (which I use and love)
  • NO green or teal tints, no purple tint--genuinely blue tint only
  • Waterfastness is not an issue
  • Shading and/or sheen are big bonuses but not required
  • Wetter inks preferred over dry inks
  • No iron gall

Who can tell me what ink(s) I should be sampling? I have in mind to try Diamine 1894 Blue-Black; is that a good option? What else?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvalliere

• Tas

• ink-syringe

• AndyYNWA

Diamine 1894 Blue-Black should suit you very well. Sailor BungBox 4B would fit your needs too, but it's harder to get.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Diamine 1894 Blue-Black should suit you very well.

Sounds perfect . . . Diamine 150th Blue Black is seriously dark and lovely.

(If you have Visconti Blue or Blue Velvet, and some Monteverde Black, mix them 1:2 and you'll have a rich dark bold blue black that I've been enjoying for about a month)

I agree with McCarty, Bungbox 4B sounds like it's up your alley, you should try it. Quite expensive and tricky to get hold of, but a really nice colour.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

Diamine Midnight seems to me to meet your requirements, as it's very dark, but unmistakably blue. And no teal.

Edited by BobR

Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite.

Yes, seriously underated. Lovely ink.

I concur. Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite ticks all your boxes.

I find 1864 BB too dark. Midnight may not be dark enough but Deep Dark Blue by Diamine exclusive to Cult Pens sounds exactly what you need. I reckon it is as dark as you can go and still be definitely blue.

You coud check out Diamine Denim. I see it as a very bold, dark blue without purple, red or green overtones.

Good properties and nice flow. But just the tiniest whisper of Blue. It is, alas, like so many BB inks, largely a charcoal ink. I really liked how it worked in my pen but I was somewhat disappointed with the color. I'll use it but not replace it. (Blue Velvet and Regency Blue on the other hand, were fantastic).

MB JFK is my blue-black ideal. I want a BB that looks exactly like that. A mix of traditional BB but with a touch more actual blue.

Diamine 1894 Blue-Black should suit you very well.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Sailor Jentle Blue-black is my go-to blue-black.

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072

Good properties and nice flow. But just the tiniest whisper of Blue. It is, alas, like so many BB inks, largely a charcoal ink. I really liked how it worked in my pen but I was somewhat disappointed with the color. I'll use it but not replace it. (Blue Velvet and Regency Blue on the other hand, were fantastic).

MB JFK is my blue-black ideal. I want a BB that looks exactly like that. A mix of traditional BB but with a touch more actual blue.

I like JFK so much that I did something completely unprecedented: I bought four bottles of it! If you like JFK but can't get it, you might consider de Atramentis Night Blue (sold as "Sherlock Holmes") or Dark Blue (sold as "Giuseppe Verdi").

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I still have 1 & 1/2 bottles of it too. But hoping to find a close replacement for when those are gone. Still good to go for quite a while though Blue Black is what I use at work.

I like JFK so much that I did something completely unprecedented: I bought four bottles of it! If you like JFK but can't get it, you might consider de Atramentis Night Blue (sold as "Sherlock Holmes") or Dark Blue (sold as "Giuseppe Verdi").

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

My original thought was Pelikan Tanzanite but I'm not sure that it will have enough true blue in it for your tastes and I've always felt it has a bit of a purple undertone. I have MB JFK and it is a nice intense dark blue that leans a tad grey. For me, I would suggest either Diamine 150th Blue Black or De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes. Both inks are dark, saturated, and have a unmistakable blue component.

My first thought was Diamine Midnight, particularly considering the OP's preference for Majestic Blue. The two seem to be directly related. Midnight is like a darker version of Majestic, red sheen and all...should be right up your alley.