Manga Fp-Ink-Friendly Pens/tools

Intellidepth

Hi, I tutor a teenager on a weekly basis atm and in the process have got to know her a little. She has been drawing Manga for years with fine felt-tipped pens.

This week I ordered Zebra G titanium nibs from Japan to do a frankenpen mod. She wasn't aware of this nib as a tool for drawing Manga so I have offered to bring it in one day to play with but it will be some weeks before the nibs arrive. She can't afford Copic markers, but I recalled on here people have talked about their brush pens and highlighters using fp ink. Given my passion for mixing ink colours, I wondered whether I may be able to support her passion in a more cost effective way than Copic markers.

So could someone please let me know about brush pens and highlighters using fp inks?

I am also interested to know which ink is best for Manga work both fp and dip, as I may be able to modify a spare Jinhao for her or buy her a straight dip pen holder.

I also had a somewhat amusing attempt at making ferrotannic ink this week (accidentally extremely acidic) and am wondering whether this may also be a cost-effective medium for black ink, with the right kind of recipe of course!

Links to existing threads would be most appreciated, as I don't know where to start on this exploration properly, or even if it is actually a viable idea.

With thanks.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jcm499

• Notgatherox

• Intellidepth

• breadedwolf

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

she could try watercolor,its very cost effective if you compare it with copic markers,but of course it can be messy at times and there is a high learning curve.

watercolor pairs perfectly with dip pens/fountain pens and waterproof ink.

i'd advise against using a g nib on a frankenpen,they are made with regular steel and the underside will rust quickly and stain the section(if its a demonstrator) it will also cause the nib to bend instead of flexing.

http://www.jetpens.com/blog/guide-to-choosing-a-brush-pen-for-art/pt/626

The Zebra G will fit a Jinhao X750.

Consider a waterproof ink for drawing - De Atramentis Document Inks, Noodler's Black, Platinum Pigment Inks etc.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I believe (not certain—I am interested in pen and drawing generally but not manga specifically) that manga is usually drawn with India ink. Manga artists seem to prefer their ink to be viscous, like molasses, and perfectly opaque and super black. India ink has these qualities because it contains shellac. It’s also shiny and has some texture when it dries. When dry, it’s waterproof and can be brushed over. Unfortunately, the shellac makes it very unsuitable for use with fountain pens, as you probably know.

There isn’t a fountain pen ink out there with the same performance profile, but if you want to get as close as possible, here are some specific recommendations:

Platinum Carbon Black: Maybe reconsider using in a pen you can’t disassemble.

Montblanc Permanent Black: More prone to smudging

Sailor Kiwa-Guro Nano Black: No personal experience

Those with better knowledge should feel free to correct any errors I may have made.