Issue With Plastic On Sailor Sapporo Manyou Green

Kugelschreiber

I just received a Sailor Sapporo Four Seasons Manyou fp. The cap and barrel are made of a metallic green resin. As I hope my pictures below show (despite the reflections) the barrel has swirls and striations that I've never seen on another Sailor resin pen or any high quality pen. I have seen them on cheaper plastic pens (Noodler's pens come to mind).

The cap is the same material and is without this issue except perhaps for a small mark at the top. It isn't clear to me whether this was intentional on Sailor's part or whether the plastic for this pen was poorly mixed or made.

Does anyone else own one of these pens or have seen one in person? If so, does/did it have the same issue?

Intentional or not, I find it quite unappealing.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2q3py74.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/tash0y.jpg

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• angelo_lopes

• Kugelschreiber

• Olya

• BobGast

nope... only 2 people have these pens in the entire FPN network... go ask bobgast he has the same stuff as you a Manyou shiki oriori

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/298009-is-this-going-to-be-a-good-pen/

though I did spot the same thing with some of the Lecoule models I saw... if you dont like it return it else wabi sabi?

Edited by Algester

Thanks, but it isn't mentioned in that thread and I don't necessarily see the same issue in the posted picture. I'll message the op from that thread.

Sadly, I'm not too good at wabi sabi. It is either going back or someone else will take it off my hands.

Edited by Striated

~ George Orwell

I really like my pen. Finish and all. I thought that it was really cool chatoyance.

So your pen is the same? If so, is it just the barrel or the cap as well.

~ George Orwell

It is the whole pen. Both the barrel and the cap. I think that it is intentional and I like it personally. I think that I like my Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue a little bit better, but the way my Sailor writes makes it my favorite.

Admittedly in your photo it looks a bit different than what I see in my own pen. My pen is very smooth and to me shows no defects in the finish.

Edited by BobGast

• 1 year later...

Does anyone else own one of these pens or have seen one in person? If so, does/did it have the same issue?

Intentional or not, I find it quite unappealing.

Excuse me for replying to an old topic but I have exactly the same "problem". The cap is perfect without any striations and the barrel has several striations. Me too I do not know if this is intentional from Sailor but it is unpleasant principally by the difference between the homogeneous material of the cap and the asymmetrical striations of the barrel.

Is this only with the two of us?

I think there was another thread going a while ago with the same issue. From what I remember it was said by members that this can be expected & is not that unusual. I wouldn't like it either though. But seems to happen from time to time.. I do wonder why the cap turns out "perfect", but not the barrel..

• 2 weeks later...

I sent a mail to Sailor two days ago and I'm waiting for the reply.
Meanwhile I leave here some pictures of mine.

http://www.lopesdasilva.com/Diino/outros_foruns/FPN/IMG_8512.JPG

http://www.lopesdasilva.com/Diino/outros_foruns/FPN/IMG_8513.JPG

http://www.lopesdasilva.com/Diino/outros_foruns/FPN/IMG_8514.JPG

http://www.lopesdasilva.com/Diino/outros_foruns/FPN/IMG_8515.JPG

http://www.lopesdasilva.com/Diino/outros_foruns/FPN/IMG_8516.JPG

http://www.lopesdasilva.com/Diino/outros_foruns/FPN/IMG_8517.JPG

http://www.lopesdasilva.com/Diino/outros_foruns/FPN/IMG_8518.JPG

It doesn't look right to me. Kind of like it is stuck between uniform and striated. Montblanc made an edition of their pens with this kind of green metallic swirl motif, but it was deliberate and very nicely done.

If the swirling/striations were a little more prominent and had the same degree with body and cap, I'd be happy with it. But as it is... if Sailor is going to leave it up to chance on random variations like this, where there may be an uneven aesthetic, then their QC efforts are lacking IMHO. Especially for the price point involved. Good luck -- hope you can get a replacement that makes you happy!

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I have the Four Seasons Haruzora (the sky blue one) and it has very similar marks on it. I already knew that prior to buying it and the cap and body of the pen are intentionally meant to produce a two tone effect. I didn't know the green one was the same way.

I received today the answer after sending them the pictures above. Like it or not, it is as it is meant to be.

For the Sailor pen, we would like to confirm that this is the normal case of Sailor Four Season collection. Not only this pen but for other three models, the difference of texture in the barrel can be noticed. Please don't worry as this is not defect or any manufacturing error but one feature of this model. The difference in color might make you think that material is strange but it's not like that.

If you still feel concerned, please tell us what should we help you in this case.
We look forward to hearing back from you.

:)

Edited by angelo_lopes

I have the purple version and it also shows the aforementioned irregularities.

I`ve always assumed that it`s meant to be that way.

• 9 months later...

I seem to have a similar issue with the Purple Cosmos that I received today. The pen appears to be 'streaky', which doesn't look great under the sparkles. I'm quite disappointed as this is my first Sailor, but I think I am going to have to return it :(

Something that is only noticeable on the metallic and sparkly versions of Sailor pens, is that the bodies are "streaky" and the caps are usually "perfect". This is done intentionally, I think to "show off the natural beauty" & variation or some such.

Something that is only noticeable on the metallic and sparkly versions of Sailor pens, is that the bodies are "streaky" and the caps are usually "perfect". This is done intentionally, I think to "show off the natural beauty" & variation or some such.

That is exactly what I have! A perfect cap and a streaky barrel...

That is exactly what I have! A perfect cap and a streaky barrel...

That's normal then. I think the streaks are also intentional with the metallic and glittery editions, because it does enhance the glitter and shows the pen and finish differently. I was a bit miffed that my metallic Sailor wasn't "perfect" too, being used to totally uniform looks in a sense. I've got over it and actually appreciate the streaky irregularity now, when procrastinating and looking at the pen (under for those circumstances good light), it is super pretty and brings another dimension to it.

Looking at the pics posted in this thread, at first glance it looks bothersome and faulty, but when you look really at the streaks, you see how the finish gets more dimensional and light is reflected in such a way, that the colour varies a touch and you get a certain depth.

It is up to you whether you'll keep the pen, no one can decide that for you, I can only speak for myself when I say that I've come to appreciate this style.

I've got over it and actually appreciate the streaky irregularity now, when procrastinating and looking at the pen (under for those circumstances good light), it is super pretty and brings another dimension to it.

What is not pretty is the cover not being like the barrel, as if it was built in a different material. Ugly is the lack of homogeneity in my opinion.