Pelikan M1000 Vs. Sailor King Of Pen

Kiel

I think cutting the bottom off a standard cartridge sanding the cartridge to provide better grip for the glue/Shaka and attaching a sack sounds doable

Yeah, that's something I'm seriously thinking about. And for an example - #20 or even #22 sac...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• strelnikoff

• Kiel

• jmccarty3

• YugiRider2

... In USA - price wise - Sailor KOPs are SERIOUSLY overpriced. True price for resin (plastic) pens should be 350-450 USD max! Ebonite - perhaps 100 bucks more.

Online, in US pricing, I see Sailor KOP in resin/plastic for about $450 and in Ebonite for $500.

Online, in US pricing, I see Sailor KOP in resin/plastic for about $450 and in Ebonite for $500.

Where? All sites from US sellers - as far as I've seen - have the base line model - gold or silver trim (rhodium plated nib) and Pro Gear version - at 740 USD without tax and shipping. So it will be close to 800 USD.

Only place to see those prices is probably Japan, and Japanese web sites. Can you share?

• 3 weeks later...

I've been with my M1000 almost a month and my Sailor KoP Pro Gear finally has landed in the states from Japan after a month and should be to me by the weekend. My M1000 has really been a love hate relationship. I'm not sure if I'm trying to tame it or it's trying to tame me. My Medium nib was a mess out of the box, scratchy, burrs, sopping wet, huge fat line... After a month of clean up we are now both much more tame and get along. It is the best pen I have for demonstrating ink capabilities, which I like. It has also taught and forced me to write bigger and softer, which should help me when my Broad King of Pen arrives. I suspect the line thickness of both may end up looking similar, when I was originally hoping the KoP Broad would be a true Western Medium or thinner. I've since ordered a Medium Namiki Yukari Royale to have all my bases covered (to arrive within 90 days). ... and yet my $130 Waterman Carene (F) still remains my favorite writer.

I've been with my M1000 almost a month and my Sailor KoP Pro Gear finally has landed in the states from Japan after a month and should be to me by the weekend. My M1000 has really been a love hate relationship. I'm not sure if I'm trying to tame it or it's trying to tame me. My Medium nib was a mess out of the box, scratchy, burrs, sopping wet, huge fat line... After a month of clean up we are now both much more tame and get along. It is the best pen I have for demonstrating ink capabilities, which I like. It has also taught and forced me to write bigger and softer, which should help me when my Broad King of Pen arrives. I suspect the line thickness of both may end up looking similar, when I was originally hoping the KoP Broad would be a true Western Medium or thinner. I've since ordered a Medium Namiki Yukari Royale to have all my bases covered (to arrive within 90 days). ... and yet my $130 Waterman Carene (F) still remains my favorite writer.

Has the KoP arrived?

I would think KoP with B nib will be on par with Pelikan M1000 medium nib... mine KoP medium... it's just different writing experience...

Has the KoP arrived?

I would think KoP with B nib will be on par with Pelikan M1000 medium nib... mine KoP medium... it's just different writing experience...

My king of pen arrived today at my house! .... Unfortunately I am 1K miles away on a business trip until Friday. My M M1000 vs. B KoP PG comparison will have to wait until the weekend. Big Bird vs. Gozilla.

Edited by Tseg

I finally got home a little while ago and arrived to several pen boxes. But with greatest anticipation was the Sailor King of Pen Pro Gear that was ordered over a month ago.

Big Bird vs. Godzilla!

I've been writing with my Pelikan M1000 (M) for about a month. It has been a challenging pen to learn how to write properly with as it is my thickest line and wettest and softest nib. I do enjoy writing with it, but I have to be very relaxed, soft and fluent with my strokes. It has a bit of a magic marker feel and sound. To be relaxed and fluent with the pen I have to hold it a little further up the section. The section does feel thick in my hand and the pen does feel pretty long, with the weight of the brass filling mechanism sitting a bit up the pen barrel. I enjoy it, but I really can't enjoy long writing sessions with it. In a sense it has prepped me to appreciate how to write with the Broad nib on the Sailor before even getting the pen.

I've not had my Sailor King of Pen Pro Gear ( B ) long but I can tell you, this pen absolutely fits like a glove. It is like I have been writing with it for months. It is so smooth on paper with the slightest feedback, it is about as wet as the Pelikan, which I like and it really feels much more balanced, with much of the weight connected to the section. Unposted it is also much shorter than the Pelikan, but fits in my hand perfectly. It is about the same unposted length as a Pilot Metropolitan, with a much thicker section and no step to the barrel vs. the Metro. My hand naturally holds this pen at the base of the section right behind the nib. The section feels slightly more slender or tapered or fitted than the Pelikan, which is also nice. I just have so much more control of the slightly bouncy Sailor nib than the soft Pelikan nib.

For me, there is no doubt the Sailor King of Pen works better for me than the Pelikan M1000. The ergonomics, balance and nib feel all excel vs. the Pelikan for me. My plan is to use cartridges and syringe fill them at this point for the low capacity Sailor.

Capped I was surprised they had a similar size feel... The Pelikan very slightly longer and the Sailor a bit fatter:

40546680505_25016fb760_k.jpg

Unposted the Pelikan is much longer. The nibs are about identical in length but the Pelikan nib feels bigger to me:

26570068067_64f4484f46_k.jpg

40546683685_fdd8edf5a1_k.jpg

Finally, in the Pelikan Medium vs. Sailor Broad match up the Pelikan line looks slightly thicker than that of the Sailor, but as it is being written it feels much wider. Both are super juicy:

41441111511_f9760f1577_b.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Ooops... misspelled 'Professional'. Now we know why they call it Pro Gear.

Edited by Tseg

I love both these pens, and wouldn't want to be without either, but your posts thoroughly and accurately describe the differences between them. Good work!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 1 year later...

I’m bringing up an old thread, but I’ve got 3 KOPs and 2 M1000s so will offer my two cents. As others mentioned, these are completely different. When you open the box, the kop feels blah and the m1000 feels amazing. But when you start writing, the game changes. The M1000 feels a bit like a novelty to most people - not something you’re going to write an entire novel with. The KOP feels exactly the opposite - to me it feels like a tool that has a writing mind of its own. It is the only pen model I own where I can write without even thinking about the pen in my hand...until you run out of ink after 6 pages.

For me, when I run out of ink, I just pull out a different pen. If you are a one pen person, the M1000 is probably better, albeit something like a pilot 823 is probably better for that.

I will say, value is subjective. Lots of people are saying the kop is overpriced, For me, the kop is the only pen out of ever pen I own (which is pretty much all flagships) that offers a writing experience that I couldn’t improve upon. This is worth far more than any special edition celluloid pen to me - hence I think the prices are reasonable.

I have similar experience with the KOP. I have used the Pilot custom urushi for a few months before I got my first Ebonite KOP.

The pilot is an amazing pen with springy nib. However, once you write with the KOP, everything falls into place, from the size of the pen, to the size of the nib, to the wettness of the nib. You tell yourself, this is how every fountain pen should write, this is how every nib should feel. It is just right, you dont want the nib to be more springy than the KOP's nib, you do not want to be wetter than the KOP's nib.

If only the brainiacs at Sailor recognize that a pen like the KOP should mandate a better and larger converter. Instead, they are wasting everyone's time creating a new plastic color and doubling the price of the same freakin pens over and over.

A company that created the KOP , can not even come close or compete with the Con-70, it is just shameful.

Edited by salmasry