• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• s_t_e_v_e

• stevesurf

• Owner of a Lonely Heart

• Intellidepth

I love my Sailors! I have the same nib as you on a 1991L and it is great, I also have a Pro Gear but in the demonstrator version with a H-F that is pretty cool. Gotta love those nibs

Very nice. Waiting on a Sailor from Japan (bit of a dream pen after trying one in-store once, falling in love, and going 'aargh' at the retail price), so it was very nice to read your review.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

+2; wonderful review!

Please don't read into this, but I love all my Sailors :)

Not since a custom-tuned Nakaya have I encountered such amazing, smooth F and EF nibs that you just don't want to put them down. I wonder how the less expensive (sub $100) Sailors are.

I await yet another order from Pen Room!

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/penroom/cabinet/sailor2/25378.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

i loved reading your handwritten review...

thank you for the excellent review...

I have found out that all sailors these days are toothy... which are sold at William Penn in India....

Is is normal....?? they somehow give you feeling of scratchiness....

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

i loved reading your handwritten review...

thank you for the excellent review...

I have found out that all sailors these days are toothy... which are sold at William Penn in India....

Is is normal....?? they somehow give you feeling of scratchiness....

Vaibhav, from my experience with Sailors (2 pens) they have tended to give more feedback than other pens with similar line widths. On some days, I find the toothy feedback scratchy but mostly I find it smooth and enjoy the feedback (weird, I know). I guess for me it's just how I want my pen to write that makes me like it or not on a particular day. I don't think it's the pen's fault. That said, I am yet to come across a Sailor that writes incredibly smooth as many others have described it to be.

My first Sailor was bought from William Penn in Mumbai. I did not even know of the Sailor brand until I bought the pen on an impulse (black GT, gold nib, being sold at a reputed b&m store at a great price then and I was just starting my foray into serious fountain pens) Luckily it was one of my best purchases!

Thanks for a super review and for taking the time to hand write it! I think all reviews should be written this way.

I too, have the same pen. I think it's overall performance and build are both excellent. The nib is beautiful (I had ordered mine with a Naginata Togi from John Mottishaw). I find it exceptionally smooth with little feedback. But it handles all types of papers well. One thing I enjoy the most is that the pen writes full, straight out of the box. Mine did not need any adjustment at all. I think John Mottishaw optimises the nibs prior to shipping, by testing each pen.

Overall, I'm very satisfied, so much so that I too, bought my second sailor from William Penn in Mumbai - a Sapporo in black and gold. It is equally good. Now very tempted to get the Realo after reading Haris review. Perhaps from Japan - as you have suggested. Any good recommendations for vendors..?

Thanks again!

Best//Sharookh

enjoyed the handwritten review, your writing is very nice clear and legible, well done.

I have had better luck with my Sailor nibs I think. Tweaking the flow is one matter, but having to re-shape the nib tip would put me off.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

i had to increase the flow on my pro gear sigma to make it usable.

nib looks beautiful though and is pretty smooth on the the sweet spot. for a hard nib, a properly tuned sailor nib is remarkable.

Nice written review of your Sailor Steve. I agree with you about the characteristics of this fine writing instrument. Even though it is on the short side in length, the girth of the pen makes up for this when posted. The 21K nib is just beautiful to look at!

I have two SPGs purchased from Classic Pens, John Mottishaw, in Los Angeles. He tests each pen before shipping, so the pen writes beautifully when it arrives to me. I have a cursive italic, 0.6-0.7mm nib pen and a fine nib pen. Each one writes nicely with no feedback on the cursive and very little feedback on the fine nib.

These pens are keepers! Pete

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man

that he does not know until he takes up his pen to write.

Thackeray

Thanks for a super review and for taking the time to hand write it! I think all reviews should be written this way.

I too, have the same pen. I think it's overall performance and build are both excellent. The nib is beautiful (I had ordered mine with a Naginata Togi from John Mottishaw). I find it exceptionally smooth with little feedback. But it handles all types of papers well. One thing I enjoy the most is that the pen writes full, straight out of the box. Mine did not need any adjustment at all. I think John Mottishaw optimises the nibs prior to shipping, by testing each pen.

Overall, I'm very satisfied, so much so that I too, bought my second sailor from William Penn in Mumbai - a Sapporo in black and gold. It is equally good. Now very tempted to get the Realo after reading Haris review. Perhaps from Japan - as you have suggested. Any good recommendations for vendors..?

Thanks again!

Yes, John Mottishaw checks every pen that he sells before shipping. I bought a Pelikan M800 (almost new) from someone on fpgeeks who had originally purchased it from John Mottishaw and the fine nib on that was excellent out of the box!

Yeah, I'm tempted too after reading Hari's review of his Realo. But I'll have to hold myself back for a bit as I am planning on getting some nice Indian ebonite pens.

enjoyed the handwritten review, your writing is very nice clear and legible, well done.

I have had better luck with my Sailor nibs I think. Tweaking the flow is one matter, but having to re-shape the nib tip would put me off.

Thanks Hari!

Yes, I am a bit disappointed with this one. Maybe I'll have better luck next time.