Kanwrite Standard (Flex Nib) Fountain Pen Review

snehsab

The two minute guys have posted a review video of yet another Indian flex pen, once again made by Kanwrite, which is called the Kanwrite Standard Flex Fountain Pen.

First things first, here is the review:

Now, like last time, i don't know if this pen is sold by Noodlers (under its brand name) in USA or not. But it looks like a great flex pen.. I have done some research on the pen - it was manufactured by Kanwrite in 2009 and is the companies most compact fountain pen.

And its very cheap for a flex pen, and the guy claims it is as good as Noodlers Ahab. Even if it is not, i think it is going to be a great introduction to the world of flex pens. Does anyone own this pen? Is it good? Please share your experience here.

I am getting it from the seller and hoping to get a discount on the price ;)

and great review by the guy, btw. Kudos to him :)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snehsab

• jcm499

• jmnav

• ReadyFireAim

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi snehsab,

Noodler’s indeed sells this pen in the US under its own name as the Nib Creaper model. I do have one. Since the video review you posted was pretty thorough, I don’t have any photos to add. I’ll just say that, despite being a very cheap pen, it is one of my favorites. This is coming from a guy with three Montblanc 149s. Like the reviewer says, it is indeed extremely versatile and functional, great for experimenting on. The nib is very rugged. Since I have never spring a nib before, I TRIED to spring this nib and couldn’t. (Replacement nibs can be had for a few dollars. Note well that physical strength is not one of my selling points.)

It has a hardy vintage vibe that I really like. Think of the pen a blue-collar sort might have peeking out of his shirt pocket in the early Fifties, sleeves rolled up and working. Then again, I’m 25 and have never labored a day in my life, so I probably have no idea what I’m talking about. But I like the pen!

On the downside, the “fit and finish” is obviously poor. In particular, the clip keeps trying to unscrew itself. I guess a dab of adhesive could fix that, though. The nib will flex wide, but takes a LOT of pressure. The material is interesting. I really like it. It has sort of a waxy feel, and a distinct smell that over several years has subsided but not vanished. Some have complained about the smell, but I actually find it quite pleasant. I’m afraid my olfactory vocabulary utterly fails me when I try to describe it. Sorry. There also seems to be a lot of inconsistency. Mine worked great out of the box, but many people have reported that theirs took a lot of tinkering. If you think pen tinkering is fun, that might actually be a selling point, and the pen is, after all, easy to tinker with.

In short, I highly recommend this pen. It’s so cheap and so useful, there is no reason not to have at least one.

I have ordered one for me. I got it for around $6. And the store108 website has mentioned that you should flush the pen before using it as sometimes the factory residual is left inside the pen.

Seems like it's an underrated fountain pen by Noodlers (or Kanwrite). Especially when the reviewer is calling it better than Ahab. And even you are praising it. So, i am excited about getting it :)

And yes.... one more thing.... I dont have a Montblanc 149, so i have a question: Which one would you choose between the Kanwrite Standard Flex and Montblanc 149 (strictly for writing purpose)? So, you can skip the looks...

Edited by snehsab

I have ordered one for me. I got it for around $6. And the store108 website has mentioned that you should flush the pen before using it as sometimes the factory residual is left inside the pen.

Seems like it's an underrated fountain pen by Noodlers (or Kanwrite). Especially when the reviewer is calling it better than Ahab. And even you are praising it. So, i am excited about getting it :)

And yes.... one more thing.... I dont have a Montblanc 149, so i have a question: Which one would you choose between the Kanwrite Standard Flex and Montblanc 149 (strictly for writing purpose)? So, you can skip the looks...

Without a shadow of a doubt I would pick the 149. That's very easy. However, the 149 happens to be my number one favorite pen. You also must remember that a 149 lists at around a hundred times more expensive than the Noodler's Kanwrite. The Noodler's/Kanwrite is a great value for money, but it's not magic. I would pick the Noodler's/Kanwrite over a Lamy Safari, Waterman Phileas, and nearly any other cheap steel pen from a major manufacturer. The main reason for this is the Noodler's/Kanwrite's capacity for line variation, which I do use both in writing and drawing. I think the pen would be still a great value at $25, at $250 not even remotely. But since it is only $6 I recommend it wholeheartedly. This does not mean it's in the same league as a 149. Not at all, not in any way.

Hmm.. seems like the hype of 149 is real :) I guess i will try that one day, for sure.... Thank you for your inputs :)

And yes, if the review is to be believed, whats great is that in $6 i will be getting a reliable writer - the ink won't leak, the pen's nib won't dry easily... I will post my impressions as soon as i get the pen.

So, where can I order some of these??

You can search for “Kanwrite fountain pen” on a famous auction site.

or

You can buy a Noodler’s Nib Creaper, which is the same pen rebranded (the feed might be different?), from a US retailer such as Goulet. This is more expensive but you get customer support.

or

This website

http://store108.com/kan-write-flex-nib-piston-filler-fountain-pen-truk-lagoon-demonstrator

seems to be selling them too. I have never ordered from this site so I have no idea about its legitimacy; I just found it by Googling “Kanwrite Standard Flex Pen.”

You might be able to find some other options by Googling around.

Edit: OP is apparently located in India. I don't think we Yanks will be able to get the pen for as low a price as he can, but it is still cheap.

Edited by jcm499

Do you guys think the #2 nib on the creaper is better than the #6 on the Konrad and Ahab? Which has more flex?

It's the same style of nib. The #6 might flex a little wider simply because it's bigger, but I wouldn't count on it. They both require a lot of pressure to flex.

It's the same style of nib. The #6 might flex a little wider simply because it's bigger, but I wouldn't count on it. They both require a lot of pressure to flex.

My limited experience was that the smaller nib (the #2 on the Nib Creaper) flexed... well, maybe not wider, but in response to less pressure.

I've been hearing a bit recently about Indian pen companies that design pens for specific overseas customers... then decide to sell them under their own branding as well. Sometimes it's a completely new / original design (that's almost certainly the case, for example, for the Noodler's Ahab); other times it may be a modification to their one of their own designs (e.g. the Noodler's rollerbal cf. the Dollar 717i?). I wonder whether it's a similar story here: that Kanwrite have provided a pen body to Noodler's for some time, and now more recently are marketing and producing the same under their own name?

No, i think the guy selling this pen has purchased the entire stock of Kanwrite Pens (like the reviewer said in his review of The noodlers ahab). Earlier, Kanwrite used to sell these pens under its own name, and now i guess they manufacture it exclusively for Noodlers....

And, the Ahab nib flexes more than the Standard Pen's nib, but the difference ain't that great. I've got the pen and am loving it. I did flush the pen (as the seller said) and the nib's smooth as butter :)

• 2 years later...

Hey there,

From where could i buy kanwrite nibs in India ,Maharastra,

Does Kanpurwritters sell if contacted,

Regards ,

FountainPenGeek[FPG].

Do you guys think the #2 nib on the creaper is better than the #6 on the Konrad and Ahab? Which has more flex?

post-135048-0-83113000-1515857984_thumb.jpg

FPR Triveni Jr. / Creaper & Bungubox 4B

Hi snehsab,

Noodler’s indeed sells this pen in the US under its own name as the Nib Creaper model. I do have one. Since the video review you posted was pretty thorough, I don’t have any photos to add. I’ll just say that, despite being a very cheap pen, it is one of my favorites. This is coming from a guy with three Montblanc 149s. Like the reviewer says, it is indeed extremely versatile and functional, great for experimenting on. The nib is very rugged. Since I have never spring a nib before, I TRIED to spring this nib and couldn’t. (Replacement nibs can be had for a few dollars. Note well that physical strength is not one of my selling points.)

I own some vintage pens (1930's - 50's) but no one of these moderns "flex" like the ahab, etc. so please pardon my ignorance... A flexible nib in my book basically goes the other way around: you need TRYING not to flex it to get its tiniest line, as it will basically open at least a bit on the weight of your hand alone. So, how can these be called "flexible" when it seems they are barely semi-flex? (they may flex, but you need to consciously try for it -the more force you need to apply, the less flexible it is, disregarding how much the tines open when forced).