Xozzen

Another one to look at is Noodler's El Lawrence. It's a weird color (descriptions of it as looking like used motor oil are pretty accurate). But it's dark enough to pass for black without actually being black (more of a dark grayish brown), and it's pretty permanent and water resistant. It's one of the inks I wouldn't hesitate using for signing checks (Noodler's 54th Massachusetts and Noodler's Kung te Cheng being others, but El Lawrence is better behaved than KTC (which is one of my favorite inks but it does get cloggy).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Xozzen

• AndyYNWA

• AlanO

Kobe #23 Nagata Blue (blue-black with nice shading)

Noodler's Zhivago (black with a hint of green in some shades)

Diamine Regency Blue (very dark blue with a purple undertone)

I used Sailor Oku-Yama at work, no one commented on it, but I got quite many strange looks. Think I will be using it as a highlighter.

Usually I try to use blues, blueish teals or blueish purples in my daily work.

I usually have one pen with "normal" ink and one pen with waterproof ink inked up all the time. Right now I have Sailor Sky High in one pen and Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher in another.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

If you are looking for a 'professional' ink you might want to consider the ink properties. For example if you are in the medical/legal setting you might be required to use bulletproof/permanent inks.

Otherwise, I used to have a narrow mind about the ink colour in a professional setting, ie gotta be blue, or black or blue/black, but now I think whatever I feel like, within reason (ie not pink or bright green!)

If you are looking for a 'professional' ink you might want to consider the ink properties. For example if you are in the medical/legal setting you might be required to use bulletproof/permanent inks.

Otherwise, I used to have a narrow mind about the ink colour in a professional setting, ie gotta be blue, or black or blue/black, but now I think whatever I feel like, within reason (ie not pink or bright green!)

+1

For my own notes I use any colour I want (even though I still lean towards the blue spectrum). But for signatures I still use blue/blue-black/black, you can never be sure about what rules and regulations the recipient have to follow.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

For me good old Pelikan black and blue/black as well as Lamy black work just fine. serious, professional, cheap, easy to clean (flushing a pen all the time is not my thing). I want to take a look at R&K Scabiosa but I havent got to ordering a bottle yet.

Actually I am studying dentistry and will be working on patients soon, so maybe I will have to look more deeply into the ink properties.

Thanks for everyone's help and keep'em coming!

Noodler's Air Corps Blue Black is fairly permanent and has a hint of green when you take a close look. I use it in an Edison Collier Extra Fine for business.

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

Private Reserve Ebony Purple- looks like black on first glance then you notice it's a little bit unusual and beautiful.

Sailor Jentle Miruai. Pure stealth.

I love these kinds of Stealth inks - they look black, and then you look again and see some color.

The other PR Ebony inks are good choices, PR Ebony Green is another fun ink.

I also like Ink of the Witch and Sankodo Nishikisan (which is hard to find).

I hope that helps.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/album/Ink/slides/2015-10-17-19-00-04.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Oh and I think Nooder's Midnight Blue is terrific. 4B is a favorite of mine - but it's definitely not black.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_687.jpg

Our very own FPN van Gogh Starry Night Blue is a good stealth ink.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Our very own FPN van Gogh Starry Night Blue is a good stealth ink.

Good suggestion. Here is a terrible scan.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/2014-Ink_160.jpg

My two which I use at work: Noodlers Zhivago and Private Reserve Ebony Purple. Both very dark with a hint of color- the PR more saturated however...

Manhattan Blue looks so nice. I wish I could get my paws on that.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Good suggestion. Here is a terrible scan.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/2014-Ink_160.jpg

I find Starry Night to be a bit darker than this, although there is just a hint of the green that you see in this scan.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Manhattan Blue looks so nice. I wish I could get my paws on that.

It's one of my favorites. You can order it from here and they will ship overseas.

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/index_showcase.asp?bod=manufacturers/manufacturer.asp?MFG=35

It's one of my favorites. You can order it from here and they will ship overseas.

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/index_showcase.asp?bod=manufacturers/manufacturer.asp?MFG=35

AND they were also happy to ship it domestically when I just (moments ago) ordered it along with their other "exclusives" Subway Sepia & Ellis Island Blue Black!

"If it is "one of MY favorite Inky Goddess's favorites" then why wouldn't I NEED it?

I added the others because I didn't want a "nice New York City inspired" ink to suffer culture shock by traveling to the "hinterlands" ALONE when it could "bring two of it's little friends"along!

Thanks for suggesting it! MORE ink is ALWAYS good.

yeah that is my hometown local and I visit it when I am back to see my family but I failed to remember to pick up a bottle last time and I have been out for more than 2 years now. I guess around that time I was expanding into sailor inks that were being discontinued and trying out half the Iroshizuku line (disappointing all but 2 inks)...

I know they ship. I still have a $10 coupon from them too (I bought a pen) but shipping is likely prohibitive. I'll score a bottle when I next go home I guess.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

AND they were also happy to ship it domestically when I just (moments ago) ordered it along with their other "exclusives" Subway Sepia & Ellis Island Blue Black!

"If it is "one of MY favorite Inky Goddess's favorites" then why wouldn't I NEED it?

I added the others because I didn't want a "nice New York City inspired" ink to suffer culture shock by traveling to the "hinterlands" ALONE when it could "bring two of it's little friends"along!

Thanks for suggesting it! MORE ink is ALWAYS good.

:wub: